What's new

Brand new RT-AX86U, slow wired ports (more accurately, slow speedtests)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Well..the crappy n66u i got rid ran 7 years without issues...ill take my chances.

Yep and one of those microcenters is in Michigan..lol
Yep. Michigan and Marietta Georgia are the only two with 10 in stock now. The Ohio store sold one. Guess I'm easily entertained to be checking Microcenter stock levels :p

I actually returned 3 ax86u due to kernel cpu crash within 2 to 3 days of using stock asus firmware. Speeds were the same as my ac86u and also my two ax devices were connecting at 80ghz instaed of 160ghz.

All 3 were rev 1.0 and think it's either my baduck or a bad run of serial numbers.
Out of curiosity, what HW revision is your reliable AC86U? In case I end up going that way. Thanks

Whitey019 - I turned off "Spanning-Tree Protocol" and that seemed to have helped my speed test on LAN. my wifi is still 400/150 on my iPad Pro (wifi AX, 5 ft from the router) but tests on LAN seem better on upload now.
How do I turn off Tree Spanning?

Can it be enabled/disabled via the command line?
I think so. Here is an example:

To get the specific variables for your router, SSH to the router and use the following command:

nvram show | grep stp

On my RT-AX86U the values are lan_stp and lan1_stp.

Please somebody correct me if I'm wrong on this. I certainly don't want whitey019 messing up his router on my bad advice...

I don't think you guys need to mess with settings in SSH on a new Asus router running stock Asuswrt. What was not made available in GUI is perhaps not advisable to touch.

Best Buy and/or UPS has apparently lost my replacement router, so I haven't been able to see if there is something uniquely wrong with my original AX86U. I've continued doing a lot of testing and tweaking, but nothing has really changed. Just to recap. All Ookla based speed tests (wired) are 900/400 (AC86U used to be 800/800). Strangely, I consistently get better speed tests on a 10 year old Linux (Opensuse). Downloads have increased, but uploads are the concern. Seems to be something with speed tests, Windows and the AX86U. The router's firmware speedtests are fine. Fast.com and nperf give slightly better results , usually 900/650-700. I've tried many different cables and 3 totally different NICs. Also, have tried a different computer, this one Windows 11. All of this has been with Asus stock firmware from the most current back 3 or 4 versions.

Well I finally received another RT-AX86U and just as many predicted...it performs exactly the same way.

I'm having similar problems. I got the RT-AX86U and also switched to Verizon Fiber service 300/300. When I run speedtest from a computer connected directly to the Verizon box, I get 310 download, 340 upload. When I connect the Asus router, I get full speed download, but only 200 to 220 upload. It does not make a difference if the client is wired or wireless. I am running Merlin 386.5 firmware. AiProtection and QoS are turned off. The Asus router itself has Speedtest baked in (under the QoS section). When I run that, I get full speed download and upload, just like I do without a router. Copying files locally between wired clients I get speed around 900mbps, so I don't think there is a hardware limitation.
Did anyone find any configuration setting that solves this problem?
Thanks.

I have never fully resolved the issue, but I do get better results with other speed tests (fast.com and Verizon's). It seems to be a WLAN/LAN to WAN issue of some kind.

Hello Guys, I recently came to asus AX routers and found this winderfull forum looking for good ideas where to look for. Here is my issue:
I have an AX86u connected to my provider's box (free in France) in FTTH, with a tested speed 880/400 tested on the router itself.
I connected the WAN port to it and the ax86u is managing my house connections, either wired or wifi.
My home PC (kind of gaming specs) is connected to the router on the 2.5gbe router port, and has a 2.5gbe port based on realtek 8125 with updated driver.
The best I can achieve using iperf (directly on the router and client on the PC) is 1.31gbps, which is less that I expected.
The realtek NIC of the motherboard can achieve much more, I have seen another owner reached 290MB/s (so ~2.2 2.3 gbps), but didn't see much AX86u owner using the 2.5 port as a LAN port, and almost none that can reach these speeds.
I have cat7 cables (either direct or through wall plugs, doesn't change anything), as well as disabling QoS, AiProtection...
I am not far from getting a better subs at my provider, that has 8gbps, and would put some hardware in between, but if my router cannot achieve more than that, that's useless.
(I know that globally, getting a 8Gbps sub instead or a 800Mbps won't change a lot, I'm just chasing the performances here).

I am very happy of the router beside this, great wifi performance through all the house, very good functionlities with merlin and amtm...
Thanks for the tips ;).

Welcome to the forums @greg_p.

The testing you're doing is showing the limits of the router CPU, not the ports.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!