What's new

Brand new to Asuswrt-Merlin. How to get started?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Dan567

New Around Here
I am brand new to SNB, Asuswrt-Merlin and ASUS. If I am doing anything to violate the rules of the forum please let me know.

I am a retired CAD Engineer with Linux experience but I am new to loading alternate firmware on routers.

I have spent a few hours reading through these forums but I have a couple of dumb questions about where to get started.

My first ASUS router (RT-AX88U) is arriving tomorrow. I plan to use Asuswrt-Merlin so that I can use NextDNS from my router. Am I better off setting up and using the router with it's normal firmware for a while to get used to it before I install Asuswrt-Merlin?

I have found the websites/posts listed below but any other suggestions or links on where to get started would be appreciated.

Thanks
Dan

Welcome to the show @Dan567

One of the best spots to get started and start learning about how all the various scripts knit together is to start here;

In particular, you need to read up on how to set up your router to allow you to SSH into it.

Am I better off setting up and using the router with it's normal firmware for a while to get used to it before I install Asuswrt-Merlin?
If you intent to go to Merlin, I recommend to install it from day 1. This is what I did with my former 87U and brand new AX86. Once you used to Merlin, you do not want to go backwards ...
Rgds,
GS

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!