What's new

Bridged Routers configuration question

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

DogT

Occasional Visitor
My internet comes in from a MoFi device via TMobile. The mofi has lan connections, so I just cat5 my mofi to my RT-N66U input since it was already set up with my previous internet. I have the 2 lan outputs on the N66, one to my computer, and one to a cheap Linksys E2500 N600 router in bridge mode at the other end of the house, and it's wired again to my wife's 2 computers. I have the N66 wifi on, both bands. The Linksys wifi is also on so I can use the phones on wifi throughout the house. I notice that mostly it's the 2.4GHz band that works, but I also notice that the 2.4GHz band has multiple channels. I set the N66U on channel 1 and the Linksys on B11. Looking at the signals with a laptop using inSSIDer the signals now are in different locations, where before when the routers were on auto channel, they both occupied the same bands. Is there any value in what I have done or should I leave the routers so they work in the same bands, I think if they're both on the same bands they would interfere with each other but this is not my expertise. The other thing I use my wifi for is the Roku which is about equidistant between the 2 routers. I'm not sure if the Roku has 5GHz band, it doesn't show up on a scan with the Roku but 5G does show up on the phone.

The Linksys and N66U both have the same SSID and login/passwords. Is there a better way to do this? I just let the Linksys help desk set this up. I only get 40Mbps from my TMobile internet so great speed is not of the essence.

I found a android app that shows the signal strength of the signal/router I'm connect to and it tests the link speed. Called 'WiFi Speed Test'. So here's how I set up my 2 routers. The Asus N66, has both 2.4 and 5GHz. Unfortunately the Roku does not support 5GHz so I have to leave the 2.4GHz on the Asus being closest to the Roku. It's adequate. I turned off the 2.4GHz on the other side of the house LinkSys router. The 2.4GHz bands only support 72Mbps speeds, the 5GHz supports 150Mbps both routers. I lock the Asus 2.4GHz on band 1 being the lowest freq. I lock the 5GHz on Band 48. Then for the LinkSys router at the other end of the house I turn off 2.4GHz, and lock 5GHz to channel 36. For the phones in the house, I just use 5GHz because with 2.4 I typically get 20-30Mbps speeds. With the 5Ghz even with lower signal strength, I get 130Mbps.

I don't know if this is the best way but since I've tied the phones to 5GHz they operate faster. My internet speed is in the range of 20-40Mbps. Being rural, I use a TMobile internet plan from a reseller on B4 to a tower about 7 miles away using an external MiMo panel antenna. I've got a couple LP antennas I'm going to try. It's been much better than the Hughesnet satellite crap.

Actually if you dig down into the 'settings' in the android WiFi settings, you will find the link connection speed, not what you're actually getting but what the link is capable of. It reports the same thing, 2.4 is 72Mbps and 5 is 150Mbps, not that you will ever get that. I get around 20-30 with 2.4MHz and 130 or so with 5Ghz. A significant difference.

yeah, it looks like you've done everything possible with your setup. It is advisable to keep 2.4ghz channels separate, 1 and 11 is as far as it goes but you will still get interference from other household items like baby monitors or microwaves. 5ghz is faster, that's normal but it's reach is shorter than 2.4ghz. I actually have a similar setup to yours, try to use 5ghz as much as possible for speed and 2.4 only when absolutely necessary (i.e. 5ghz is too weak or a client doesn't support it)

I do have a neighbor, although they're about 400 or more yds away. That's the only other signal I can see. They have their 2? routers set at B1 on 2.4GHz, at least I see 2 signals from them. My laptop doesn't have 5GHz, so I can't see that. But yes, I did test the phones all places we use the phones and in every instance 5GHz is better by far even with less signal. The computers are wired so they're not an issue.

Actually too, one thing I did was to lock even the 2.4GHz one that I use for Roku to 40MHz BW. I also locked the 5GHz ones to 40 also.

Yeah, keep the 40mhz channel way away from your other 2.4ghz channel (at 5ghz, it won't matter much) :) 40mhz covers a lot of channels in the 2.4ghz band. I think you have nothing to worry from your neighbors, they too far to affect you unless they are running something super strong lol

You can check wifi congestion using your phones, BTW, they should see both bands as they connect to 5ghz.