What's new

Bridging Routers

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Learningneverends

Occasional Visitor
Hey guys,

I am getting RT-AC88U soon, and I am currently have Verizon Fios with TV service. The Actiontec MI424WR REV I is down in the basement where the ONT connection is, and the connection is coaxial to the router.

I need some advice with steps on how to connect the second Asus RT-AC88U to the Actiontec router. I have read some recommending using bridging feature and I am not sure doing so as far as settings between the two routers as well as configuration.

Thanks,

Ken

PPPoE bridging is probably what you want.

Hey guys,

I am getting RT-AC88U soon, and I am currently have Verizon Fios with TV service. The Actiontec MI424WR REV I is down in the basement where the ONT connection is, and the connection is coaxial to the router.

I need some advice with steps on how to connect the second Asus RT-AC88U to the Actiontec router. I have read some recommending using bridging feature and I am not sure doing so as far as settings between the two routers as well as configuration.

Thanks,

Ken

Really guys???

First post!

You go to the Administration menu and then choose media bridge.

But you say "second Asus RT-AC88U", do you have two of them?

First post!

You go to the Administration menu and then choose media bridge.

But you say "second Asus RT-AC88U", do you have two of them?

That is a different (wireless) type of bridging.

Really guys???

I am unsure what you intend this comment to mean, but if you need more information, just use Google.

After some research, if you still have trouble, then ask.

Then i guess i misunderstood OP's question. Is this the kind where you have several AP's serving the same wireless network?

I dunno, honestly. He does say "... second RT-AC88U ..." implying that he has two of them, but I think he misspoke.

I assume he has a router and the Asus, and wants to connect them.

He can either put the Asus into AP mode (probably best), or put the modem into bridge mode and have the Asus do all routing by using PPPoE bridging through the Actiontec.

I dunno, honestly. He does say "... second RT-AC88U ..." implying that he has two of them, but I think he misspoke.

I assume he has a router and the Asus, and wants to connect them.

He can either put the Asus into AP mode (probably best), or put the modem into bridge mode and have the Asus do all routing by using PPPoE bridging through the Actiontec.

Sorry guys,

I didn't mean to be rude, just need some help and advice to get my new Asus router going. I only have Fios router currently and a newly purchased Asus router to get better connection on wifi for coverage.

Do I connect Fios router Wan to LAN port or LAN to LAN on Asus router for this configuration? Should I pick bridge mode or AP mode? Plus or minus between the two connections. I know that I can't connect the Asus router LAN port directly from the ONT even if I ask Verizon to switch over the connection, due to my TV service correct me if I am wrong unless there is other way to bypass it. Either connection, I still will connect Asus router from wall jack that feeds from Actiontec from the basement.

Also, do I need to turn Off the WIFI on the Actiontec router to have the Asus doing all the routing? Do I upgrade to the latest stock firmware or 3rd party firmware?

Thank you,

Ken

Last edited:
AP mode and use any port on the Asus.

AP mode and use any port on the Asus.

Hello,

I have called Verizon and asked them turn WAN ethernet port on the ONT on so I can connect the WAN port of the Actiontec wireless router right now.

Step by step if possible for connection and configuration please.

Thanks,

I am still unsure what you are asking.

Enable AP mode on the Asus. Plug the Asus into your router. For more information, consult the manuals. If you are still having trouble after referring to the manuals, just ask.

Hello,

I have called Verizon and asked them turn WAN ethernet port on the ONT on so I can connect the WAN port of the Actiontec wireless router right now.

Step by step if possible for connection and configuration please.

Thanks,

I think you are suppose to use a LAN port not a WAN port to plug the ASUS router into.

Let the FIOS router do the routing... Verizon has done the heavy lifting, and they're happy to provide you service within their TOS...

If you can, but perhaps not, turn off the WiFi on it, but if you have Wireless STB's, might not as they might need that...

Put the RT-AC88U into AP mode on one of the LAN ports...

set up wireless SSID's for it...

You'll be fine after that...

I think you are suppose to use a LAN port not a WAN port to plug the ASUS router into.

Hello,

Yeah I have read on dslreports site with option #6 by using Ethernet port from the ONT to connect LAN port in the Asus router then connect the WAN port on the Actiontec router. However, there is always pros and cons for almost every configurations.

I will try this tomorrow see how it goes unless you have better option for me to try.

Thanks,

Let the FIOS router do the routing... Verizon has done the heavy lifting, and they're happy to provide you service within their TOS...

If you can, but perhaps not, turn off the WiFi on it, but if you have Wireless STB's, might not as they might need that...

Hello,

So you would suggest me to go for AP route instead of option #6 from dslreports site suggestions. By the way, I don't have wireless STB's, just regular HD STB and one DVR with coaxial connections.

I m worried if I go with AP route with all the heavy lifting from the Fios router might not be ideal because the signal keeps dropping from my iPhone's and iPads connection. I know that AP route will help because I will put the Asus router right on the central of the house from the Ethernet jack on the wall.

Is the AP route better than option #6 connection and configurations? So basically if I chose AP option then I will need to turn off wifi option on Actiontec router correct and let the Asus router broadcast the wifi signals?

Please advice!

Thanks

Last edited:
Hello,

Yeah I have read on dslreports site with option #6 by using Ethernet port from the ONT to connect LAN port in the Asus router then connect the WAN port on the Actiontec router. However, there is always pros and cons for almost every configurations.

I will try this tomorrow see how it goes unless you have better option for me to try.

Thanks,

Am I confused or are you referring to 3 different devices?

I thought you only had a modem/router & a WiFi device.

Am I confused or are you referring to 3 different devices?

I thought you only had a modem/router & a WiFi device.

Thanks for your help almost everybody understands me except you and being confused. One Fios Actiontec router and one Asus Rt-ac88u that is it.

Option #6 doesn't require 3 routers only need two.

Follow the quoted directions.

Do you have the Asus yet? Until you have the device, we are all guessing about problems you may or may not have.

Apologies for being callous or insensitive. I often fail in that area.
I am here to help. Please disregard my shallow ego. :eek:

:)