What's new

Solved BRT-AC828 - Oldie but a Goldie? Dilemma.. Any Asus experts here? Comparing to RT- AC86U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

How about something like the Synology RT2600ac ?
It's another router that gets regular updates and has a lot of features, although no M.2 slot.

Just for a laugh, have a look at all their fixed issues in the May update.
Hah a, That's a whole lot of issues that they fixed. I didn't even know that could be that many issues in production environment..

Does Synology have open VPN built-in? And a user interface for effective parental controls as good as Asus?

They claim to have best-in-class VPN, not sure if you need a server or a client though...
And yes, there's parental control and an app.
I suggest you have a look at their product page and read a couple of reviews.

They claim to have best-in-class VPN, not sure if you need a server or a client though...
And yes, there's parental control and an app.
I suggest you have a look at their product page and read a couple of reviews.
Yes actually they look pretty good I'll see if any of them are available in my area.

What do you think of brand new RT-AX3000 (RT-AX58U)?
Same price as new Ac86u $190.

We
It's only 2x2, so not very good for multiple Wi-Fi devices.
We have 1 x MacBook pro, 2x iphone 8, 2x Google home mini and all of these are just for browsing internet.

All my high speed downloading is done by a server that is wired. Other 2x high speed streaming devices are also wired.
Only 1 x Apple Tv 4k that is wireless and need 300mbps bandwidth which my old Linksys is easily providing..

Considering that, would ax3000 be a better "interim" choice than the AC86u till I get the AX86U?
Actually, AC86u is 130 used and 190 new.
ax3000 190 new.

We

We have 1 x MacBook pro, 2x iphone 8, 2x Google home mini and all of these are just for browsing internet.

All my high speed downloading is done by a server that is wired. Other 2x high speed streaming devices are also wired.
Only 1 x Apple Tv 4k that is wireless and need 300mbps bandwidth which my old Linksys is easily providing..

Considering that, would ax3000 be a better "interim" choice than the AC86u till I get the AX86U?
Actually, AC86u is 130 used and 190 new.
ax3000 190 new.
No, not unless you have a lot of 802.11ax devices.

No, not unless you have a lot of 802.11ax devices.
Cool thanks.
So I'll just wait for AX86U deal. Sad thing is this router is not available anywhere in the country! Disadvantages of living in a small economy..

The link you shared earlier of Synology updates reminded me that my office has an old RT1900AC lying around that I could have for next to nothing. Didn't even know Synology did routers so didn't make the connection.

I don't think Linksys with DDWRT will be a good user interface so would even a Synology 1900AC that STILL gets regular updates AND has built in OpenVPN a "slightly" better interim option till I upgrade to ax86u?

Cool thanks.
So I'll just wait for AX86U deal. Sad thing is this router is not available anywhere in the country! Disadvantages of living in a small economy..

The link you shared earlier of Synology updates reminded me that my office has an old RT1900AC lying around that I could have for next to nothing. Didn't even know Synology did routers so didn't make the connection.

I don't think Linksys with DDWRT will be a good user interface so would even a Synology 1900AC that STILL gets regular updates AND has built in OpenVPN a "slightly" better interim option till I upgrade to ax86u?

You could give it a try, it should perform similarly to what you have and you'd get an idea of how the Synology software works. It wasn't the best of routers when it arrived, if I remember right, but you also said you don't have a huge place, so it might not be an issue.

Wifi was hitting 700mbps on my mobile which was crazy and 920 on wired. Most importantly, I love the Asus mobile app and parental controls especially the bandwidth limiter.

This feature is incompatible with hardware acceleration. If activated, your router is not Gigabit capable, but limited by the CPU at around 350Mbps.

Yes
This feature is incompatible with hardware acceleration. If activated, your router is not Gigabit capable, but limited by the CPU at around 350Mbps.
Yes I agree

I usually never HAVE to use the bandwidth limiter but when I do, I know the gigabit speeds are gone.

Once bandwidth limiter is turned off, I get the 950mbps wired speeds back. I'm aware of this one :)

It's just the ability the do it worth a lot to me when needed.. stubborn kids can only be taught a lesson by bandwidth limiter rather than full block - from experience..

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!