What's new

Buffalo Releases 802.3bz Business Switches

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Julio Urquidi

News Editor
buffalo-bsmp20-switch.jpg
Both models in Buffalo’s BS-MP20 series of desktop network switches will support 2.5GBASE-T, 5GBASE-T and 10GBASE-T, allowing small businesses to transition to the faster 10 gigabit standard over time.

By using the former two intermediate speeds, Cat 5e cabling will not have to be replaced, letting businesses benefit from the throughput that comes along with 2.5 GbE and 5 GbE networking. The new switches in the line-up are designed to detect and run full duplex speeds based on the connected devices.

The new BS-MP20 series switches are available now - the 8-port BS-MP2008 will cost $649.99 MSRP, while the 12-port BS-MP2012 will cost $979.99 MSRP.

Nice, but still way too expensive for the amount of ports you get.
TheLostSwede, please point us to all the 10-gigabit switches you know about that cost signficantly less than $75-$85 dollars per port.

More specifically, why are you not happy that there is now an 8-port switch that is much for flexible in terms of intermediate 2.5 and 5 gigabit Ethernet speeds than any other low-end switch? And at $650 dollars LIST PRICE costs a lot less than my 8-port 10-gigabit Netgear XS708 switch (with no 2.5 and 5 gigabit capability on cat 5e) that is on NewEgg for example at $770 dollars?

Give us some data to explain how this announcement is "way too expensive" compared to any other real actual product.

TheLostSwede, please point us to all the 10-gigabit switches you know about that cost signficantly less than $75-$85 dollars per port.

The cost per port is still a little bit high - in line with 10Gbe, but not with N-Base-T.

Exchange rates are somewhat of a factor - Buffalo is a Japanese company, in JPY, it is more cost competitive in their home market.

What I can say is that Buffalo/Melco - they're very high quality in my experience...

With 802.3bz I would expect that 2.5/5Gbps switches would be only a small premium over current 1Gbps switches. Certainly not the stratospheric level prices of 10Gbps. WIth 1Gbps the standard port on motherboards for over 10 years, I would have expected a flood of 802.3bz offerings by now - especially with wireless routers now offering >1Gbps speeds.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!