What's new

[bug collecting] IPTV issues with recent firmware

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

RMerlin

Asuswrt-Merlin dev
Hi everyone,

There's been a few reports recently from people losing IPTV support in recent firmware releases for the RT-AC56/RT-AC68/RT-AC88/RT-AC3100/RT-AC5300.

If you are affected by this, please do the following:

1) Make sure you flash the latest official Asus firmware
2) Test IPTV functionality again

If you still experience issues, post in this thread with the following information:

1) Your router model and firmware version tested
2) Your IPTV service provider
3) What IPTV configuration you used on your router

Thanks!

One of the reported issues was the Internet field was missing from the IPTV page - that issue is already fixed in newer firmwares such as 380_2345.

Anything else?

0451771977.png

Last edited:
I have an RT-AC68U. My IPTV provider is BT (in the UK). My STB is connected on LAN port 1.

My configuration is:

LAN - IPTV tab
Select ISP Profile: None
Choose IPTV STB Port: None
Use DHCP routes: Microsoft
Enable multicast routing (IGMP Proxy): Enable
Enable efficient multicast forwarding (IGMP Snooping): Enable
UDP Proxy (Udpxy): 0

WAN - Internet Connection tab
Enable VPN + DHCP Connection: No

These settings DO work for me on:
Asuswrt 3.0.0.4.380_1842
Asuswrt-Merlin 380.57

These settings DO NOT work for me on:
Asuswrt-Merlin 380.58

When using these settings on 380.58, the STB can connect to the internet (BBC iPlayer, etc) but I cannot view any multicast IPTV channels. I have tried a complete router reset, but the problem remains. I have reverted back to 380.57 for the time being.

These settings DO work for me on:
Asuswrt 3.0.0.4.380_1842
Asuswrt-Merlin 380.57

These settings DO NOT work for me on:
Asuswrt-Merlin 380.58

When using these settings on 380.58, the STB can connect to the internet (BBC iPlayer, etc) but I cannot view any multicast IPTV channels. I have tried a complete router reset, but the problem remains. I have reverted back to 380.57 for the time being.

If it works properly with 380_1842 then the issue is different, and not Asus's responsibility. This thread was to gather feedback on issues that are also present in Asus's own firmware.

1. RT-AC68U Firmware version 3.0.0.4.380.1842 ( Official )
2. Telekom Slovenija
3. My IPTV configuration on all ASUS firmwares, but with latest official firmware my IPTV not working

0451771977.png

Hey, we tried your IPTV setting, and it can work. Not sure what are the root cause, could you send me your setting file? Thanks.

Hey, we tried your IPTV setting, and it can work. Not sure what are the root cause, could you send me your setting file? Thanks.
what settings did you mean? backup settings from router?
do you have any latest fresh beta version of firmware to test?
edit: all versions with
Code:
Mar 24 15:34:48 udpxy[765]: udpxy 1.0-Chipmunk (build 19)
working well, so this RT-AC68U Firmware version 3.0.0.4.380.1842 ( Official ) working.....
versions with udpxy 1.0- (build 23) - 10 not working.....i problaly test this beta https://www.dropbox.com/sh/80upocxjfjiw2lj/AABcSAk5UMLaMhQvyiVbONKJa/RT-AC68U_9.0.0.4_380_2295-g1423616.trx?dl=0 and working also....@Merlins latest 380.58 not working.....i think there is something wrong with Asus GPL 380_1354 code.....and latest @Merlins build use that version......

sent from Kodi 17 Krypton

Last edited:
i tested now again latest three firmwares and here are results:

1. RT-AC68U Firmware version 3.0.0.4.380.1842 ( Official ) - working IPTV..... udpxy 1.0 (19)
2. RT-AC68U Firmware version 9.0.0.4_380_2295-g1423616 ( Beta ) - working IPTV..... udpxy 1.0 (23)-10
3. RT-AC68U Firmware version Asuswrt-Merlin 380.57 - working IPTV......udpxy 1.0 (19) - Merged with Asus GPL 380_1031
4. RT-AC68U Firmware version Asuswrt-Merlin 380.58 - not working IPTV.....udpxy 1.0 (23)-10 - Merged with Asus GPL 380_1354

I realy think that is problem with GPL 380_1354 which is merged for Merlin firmware version 380.58.....

Guys, when I ask to test with the original Asus firmware, please make sure you do so, otherwise a lot of time is wasted by everyone involved. In the case of the RT-AC68U, there's this listed on Asus's changelog for 3.0.0.4.380_1842:

Code:
- Fixed IPTV GUI issue

So far, it seems that everyone who has reported IPTV issues haven't tested the stock firmware, and they are experiencing issues which Asus has already fixed in a recent release. You just have to be patient, and wait for that newer code to become available.

I need IPTV settings in order to use my Asus router as my modem/router combo for my fiber optic Internet. Therefore, I'm suppose to set the "Internet" port to VID=201 with a PRIO of 0. However, if I select "Manual Settings" from the drop-down list on the IPTV tab, only LAN port 3 and 4 are listed.

My Internet port is no longer listed. It disappeared. Is this related?

Granted my Internet is still working, but I fear that if I do a reset on the router, I will lose Internet, because I won't be able to set a VID=201 for the Internet port since it's no longer listed.

I'm using the RT-AC87R router. I upgraded from the 378.55 dated July 17, 2015.

Last edited:
I need IPTV settings in order to use my Asus router as my modem/router combo for my fiber optic Internet. Therefore, I'm suppose to set the "WAN" or "Internet" port to VID=201 with a PRIO of 0. However, if I select "Manual Settings" from the drop-down list on the IPTV tab, only LAN port 3 and 4 are listed.

My Internet port is no longer listed. It disappeared. Is this related?

Asus fixed the missing Internet field in newer releases.

RT-N66U 3.0.0.4.378_9529
BT TV (UK)
Lan -multicast routing enabled IGMP snooping enabled
Wan - Enable VPN + DHCP Connection =No

IPTV works with this setup, doesn't work with Merlin 380.58

Router: AC5300
Stock Firmware: ASUS RT-AC5300 Firmware version 9.0.0.4.380.2697 [Beta release]
Provider: Deutsche Telekom / Entertain
Modem: Zyxel 1312 VMG (VID 7 Bridge mode for Internet / VID 8 IPoE Routing enabled)
LAN: Only Routing: Microsoft; Multicast Routing; and More Efficient Multicast Routing enabled

When I used earlier Stock and the Merlin 380_58 this did not work. Only after flashing with the latest beta (2697), IPTV worked. However, I have the effect that every 3 minutes, picture freezes for about 30 seconds.

Further issue is that I would prefer to also route the Multicast signal without the modem directly by the AC5300 but the issue is that the IPTV Receiver from Deutsche Telekom requires not only the VID 8 but also the internet connection for validation purposes. Thus, only to allocate the VID 8 e.g. to LAN port 4 does not help if the router does not also offer the router to access the (VID 7) internet connection. If such would be the case I could leave the modem purely in bridge mode and the AC5300 could deal with the data flow. The situation turned out that the internet connection is badly if IPTV is in use.

Would be great if ASUS could provide besides the lately Vodafone IPTV profile also other profiles like the Deutsche Telekom version.

Ideas of course highly appreciated.

Last edited:
RT-AC56U 3.0.0.4.378_9459
BT TV (UK)
LAN:
Select ISP Profile=None
Choose IPTV STB Port=None
Use DHCP Routes=Microsoft
Enable multicast routing (IGMP Proxy)=Enable
Enable efficient multicast forwarding (IGMP Snooping)=Enable
UDP proxy=0
WAN: Enable VPN + DHCP Connection =No

IPTV channels don't work

Regressed to 3.0.0.4.378_4585 and IPTV channels work fine.

Last edited:
I had tried to enable TalkTalk (VDSL) IPTV on the ASUS RT-AC3200 with some success, but some channels worked and some not, quite randomly it seemed.
I had set up the Netgear DM200 modem, which was clearly providing Internet and IPTV to the WAN port, but the RT-AC3200 was not using it properly.
I set DM200 IP to 10.0.1.1 and copied the 'Option 60' string from the TalkTalk modem to the DM200 before switching to 'Modem only' mode.
Not much luck with the RT-AC3200 again, but I tried it with the Netgear D600 WAN port and IPTV came on immediately - I had enabled IGMP Proxy.
Still wanted to persevere with the RT-AC3200, but wondered if the Netgear router was the answer, since I was using a Netgear modem.
I set the RT-AC3200 IP to 10.0.0.1 and tried again, enabling LAN-IPTV: STB port, DHCP=Microsoft, IGMP Proxy & IGMP Snooping. Not any good.
I then set the DM200 IP to 10.0.0.1, the same as the RT-AC3200 and enabled only LAN-IPTV: IGMP Proxy.
I am using the latest RT-AC3200 firmware, 3.0.0.4-380_7266. Moving the DM200 back to 10.0.1.1 stops IPTV from working.
I was just about to give up, but I can now ditch the TalkTalk 'Super Router'. I do not know why this setup works so well, but I will probably not upgrade any firmware.
I can watch and record all the IPTV channels I subscribe to and all Boost channels play and record. There seems to be no downside as yet.
Unplugging the STB from the LAN port results in loss of IPTV with error message - IPTV resumes when the STB is plugged into any connected network switch.

I have an RT-AC68U and my IP TV is BT-TV in the UK which I believe uses multicast streaming of internet channels.

My settings are:

LAN Port
Select ISP Profile: None
Choose IPTV STB Port: None

Special Applications
Use DHCP routes: Microsoft
Enable multicast routing (IGMP Proxy): Enable
Enable efficient multicast forwarding (IGMP Snooping): Enable
UDP Proxy (Udpxy): 0

I initially spotted my problem in Merlin builds 380.65_4 and also 380.66 Alpha 3 & 4 so proved it with stock firmware 3.0.0.4.380.7266.

Problem: I am able to view the IPTV channels with no issue, but when I do the QoS Bandwidth Monitor (I use adaptive QoS) shows that viewing a normal definition channel generates over 3Mbps upload consumption and over 8Mbps upload for an HD channel. My upload bandwidth is only 12Mbps and therefore watching an HD channel can easily increase my upload consumption to the point of flooding my connection. When this happens it seems that QoS doesn't work well as the streaming is interrupted and other internet activity suffers typical symptoms of max'ed out bandwidth. I don't understand why multicast is consuming my uplink connection, or at least the router and QoS sees it as upload traffic.

I'm using an AC68 with BT TV as well. I've seen this "reverse upload" issue when viewing multicast channels for as long as I've had the AC68 (2 years maybe?). I've always thought it was just a strange cosmetic bug...I've never had any issues with actual upload bandwidth being reduced or affected. I think I have the same settings as you too.

Hi, I am using a RT-AC3200 with movistar+ IPTV in Spain and I have to say that the official 'triple vlan' configuration has been broken and not working in several of the latest official firmwares... however by configuring it in Merlin with the 'scripts' method as shown in https://www.adslzone.net/postt404038.html it works fine.

There are two minor nits however:
1. The "reverse upload" issue is present. Multicast download traffic is wrongly categorized as upload traffic, affecting QoS settings.
2. The 'pause' function for recorded playbacks is broken... , but again there is a bypass by configuring manually the IP timeouts in Merlin.

Hi everyone,
1) Make sure you flash the latest official Asus firmware
2) Test IPTV functionality again

Then
2) Your IPTV service provider
3) What IPTV configuration you used on your router

1 . official firmware only (NOT MERLIN)
2. test with official firmware (NOT MERLIN)
then
1. report IPTV Service provider
2. Configuration and router model

so everyone that failed so far please flash ASUS Firmware not Merlin Firmware and retry.

Last edited:
Official Asus Firmware:

ASUS RT-AC5300 Firmware version 3.0.0.4.380.7627 IPTV Not Working
ASUS RT-AC5300 Firmware version 3.0.0.4.380.7378 IPTV Not Working
ASUS RT-AC5300 Firmware version 3.0.0.4.380.7266 IPTV Not Working

ASUS RT-AC5300 Firmware version 3.0.0.4.380.4180 IPTV Working Perfect

IPTV Provider: Canal Digital/Telenor (Norway) STB is T-We Box (ADB 5743) and can be found here: https://kabel.canaldigital.no/hjelp/tv/brukerveiledninger/
ASUS RT-AC5300

Select ISP Profile=None
Choose IPTV STB Port=None
Use DHCP Routes=Microsoft
Enable multicast routing (IGMP Proxy)=Enable
Enable efficient multicast forwarding (IGMP Snooping)=Enable
UDP proxy=0

iptv.png

Last edited: