What's new

Bug: Firewall - Network Services Filter removing itself

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Pila

Regular Contributor
Let's define things:

1. Firewall - Network Services Filter On, Whitelist, empty list - no device can get to the Internet
2. Firewall - Network Services Filter On, Blacklist, 192.168.1.100 - only the device 192.168.1.100 can not use the Internet, all others have normal access.
3. The most important claim: NOTHING can suspend above rules as long as they are ON!

Well, on my Asus RT-AC56U fw380.57 firewall is silently completely suspended by legal user action at any time, without a warning! Just block the Internet access to any device using the Network map and the firewall is gone! Even worse, udoing the said block will not reinstate firewall!

Steps to reproduce the problem with Firewall removing itself, both blacklist and whitelist work the same.

1. Firewall, Network Services Filter - On, Whitelist, nothing listed, Apply
1.1. OK: No device on the network can access the Internet
2. Network map, Clients, select a client (different than your current), Block Internet Access - On
2.1. BUG: all devices on the network can access the Internet (except the device selected in 2.)
3. Network map, Clients, select a client from step 2., Block Internet Access - Off
3.1. BUG: all devices on the network can access the Internet
4. Firewall, Network Services Filter (from step 1. we still have active: On, Whitelist, nothing listed), so just press the Apply. *For Blacklist this step will not be necessary.
4.1. OK: No device on the network can access the Internet

I would prefer my firewall remain on if I set it on and not removing itself completely and silently.

I have network of 15 devices and am planning for a best way to firewall them. Some rules need to be temporarily suspended by me to update sw/fw at a device. Would prefer a clear GUi instead of editing manually iptables.

I believe this is a huge bug.

This is why I do not like the iptables that are used for the input chain, they allow everything as start rule - this is wrong, however people might agree with me on this, but thinks this is just cosmetic....

This is why I do not like the iptables that are used for the input chain, they allow everything as start rule - this is wrong, however people might agree with me on this, but thinks this is just cosmetic....
That is not relevant to this bug. This is an issue with the FORWARD chain (where the default policy is DROP) not the INPUT chain.

Last edited: