What's new

How to restrict VPN network access to certain IP Range or Hosts for specific VPN client

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

data303

Occasional Visitor
I like to add for the VPN access some policies or firewall rules which should only allow to access a single machine in the network for a given VPN Client / User. How Can I do that?

Lets assume I have a server in my network "192.168.1.100" and a VPN user "server admin". The VPN Client IP Range is "10.8.0.0". Once the user "server admin" is connected via VPN then he should only be able to access this IP address "192.168.1.100" but no other addresses in my network. Any suggestion how this can be configured?

Last edited:
I started to configure an own client config directory in order to apply for my specific VPN user a specific IP address. So in the "Configuration" the following lines

Code:
client-connect /jffs/scripts/ovpn-client-connect.sh
username-as-common-name
client-config-dir /jffs/configs/openvpn/ccd

Via SSH I created the following file "/jffs/configs/openvpn/ccd/myuser.conf" and added the following content:
Code:
ifconfig-push 10.8.0.99 255.255.255.0

However when I then login with "myuser" it still gets the standard IP assigned "10.8.0.2" and not the expected "10.8.0.99".
Did I miss anything?

Last edited:
Ok I solved the problem, the file need to have the same name as my user "/jffs/configs/openvpn/ccd/myuser" without any suffix.

However I need help how to specify the IP firewall rule so that the VPN client IP "10.8.0.99" can only access "192.168.1.100". Any suggestions?

Last edited:
Ok I solved the problem, the file need to have the same name as my user "/jffs/configs/openvpn/ccd/myuser" without any suffix.

However I need help how to specify the IP firewall rule so that the VPN client IP "10.8.0.99" can only access "192.168.1.100". Any suggestions?

Thank you, yes this helps to assign a static client IP for the specific VPN user.

However I need help how to specify the IP firewall rule so that the VPN client IP "10.8.0.99" can only access "192.168.1.100". Any suggestions how and where this need to be configured?

Thank you, yes this helps to assign a static client IP for the specific VPN user.

However I need help how to specify the IP firewall rule so that the VPN client IP "10.8.0.99" can only access "192.168.1.100". Any suggestions how and where this need to be configured?
Sorry, then I misunderstand what you want.

Maybe something like:
Code:
iptables -I FORWARD -i tun1 -o br0 -s 10.8.0.99 ! -d 192.168.1.100 -j DROP
Replace "tun1" with your vpn iface if needed (or remove "-i tun1" as it's not really needed)

Last edited:
Maybe something like:
Code:
iptables -I FORWARD -i tun1 -o br0 -s 10.8.0.99 ! -d 192.168.1.100 -j DROP
Replace "tun1" with your vpn iface if needed (or remove "-i tun1" as it's not really needed)
Thank you. Can I just add this rule via SSH on the router? Or how has this to be made persistent, means do I need to add it somewhere to a "/jffs/xxxx" script configuration?

Thank you. Can I just add this rule via SSH on the router? Or how has this to be made persistent, means do I need to add it somewhere to a "/jffs/xxxx" script configuration?
Test it by just execute it at ssh prompt and see that there are no errors and it does what you want.

Then put it in a firewall-start script to be persistent:

Last edited: