1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice

Welcome To SNBForums

SNBForums is a community for anyone who wants to learn about or discuss the latest in wireless routers, network storage and the ins and outs of building and maintaining a small network.

If you'd like to post a question, simply register and have at it!

While you're at it, please check out SmallNetBuilder for product reviews and our famous Router Charts, Ranker and plenty more!

Build A Wi-Fi Performance Analyzer For $75

Discussion in 'Wireless Article Discussions' started by thiggins, Feb 27, 2018.

1. thiggins

thiggins Mr. Easy Staff Member

Do you think it will support the same OS and WiFi drivers?

2. sfx2000

sfx2000 Part of the Furniture

The H3, it's a quad Cortex-A7, so armv7a, so it depends if the provided image is 32 or 64 bit - if it's 32 bit, then it should work, if not, the image will have to be rebuilt.

The one small concern is that the SBC is only 512M, not 1G or 2G like the NeoMini 2.

It's only 100Mbit ethernet, which might be a limitation for some.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2018
  3. sfx2000

@thiggins - some recommended updates to the article

The WLANPI_1.2 image over on morefrag is a dead link

The team has released a 1.3 image that includes additional helpful scripts, updated kernel, and updated driver for the Realtek RTL8812au Wifi NIC

I'd point folks at the parent site where the firmware image, release notes, documents, etc are...

http://www.wlanpi.com/

Couple of interesting items with the FriendlyARM kits - there are multiple versions of the NanoHat OLED - some break out the i2c and serial (v1.0 and v1.1 1705)... The other breaks out a TRRS Audio and extra USB host port (v1.4 1806) - the end-plate is different, and I'm assuming that FriendlyARM will ship the appropriate end-plate that matches the display Hat...

I have the NEO Metal Kit on order - will advise once it arrives...

4. sfx2000

Ok - FriendlyARM has the NEO2 kits back in stock - shipping from shenzen, so it'll take a couple of weeks...

https://www.friendlyarm.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=189

The old school kit... NEO is similar to NEO2 - but I suggest to support the article, go for the NEO2...

The NEO board I received was 1.31, the OLED hat was 1.1, so it breaks out UART and I2C, which is handy, the 1.4 version of the HAT breaks out USB and Audio I/O.

Ordered this mid-august - I have it now on hand, working with the kit provided image, along with armbian...

Nice little unit... the little thumbdrive is a buffalo ralink based nic - single band there..

cube.jpg

On the back-end - the NEO kit breaks out UART and I2C for the Neo... which is important for the IOT crowd...

image1.jpeg

Still sorting out SW - the FriendlyELEC image is interesting, as it Armbian...

It's an Allwinner H3, and a known device...

Last edited: Sep 28, 2018
  5. sfx2000

The H5-based NanoPi Neo 2 kits mentioned in the articles are back in stock at FriendlyARM...

I would recommend the Neo 2 over the Neo kits for a couple of reasons - First being native Gigabit, and second is that the OLED HAT for the Neo 2 Kit includes the second USB2 interface - the Neo (h3 based) breaks out UART and I2C, the Neo 2 breaks out USB2 and an audio TRRS port.

Getting a bit off topic - get the Neo 2 with this kit, and have a cute little shared drive...

1-bay NAS Kit v1.2 for NanoPi NEO&NEO2 - still have to buy the Neo/Neo2 there...

Anyways - I have a Neo2 on order - and the Cortex-A53 should have a nice bump on performance over the A7-based Neo on certain things...

BTW - if you're buying from Shenzhen and shipping to US - do your orders soon - tariff increases will come into effect for FOB United States in late December - not shipping date, but delivery date on the port of entry...

Makaveli likes this.
  6. sfx2000

The H3 Neo and H5 Neo 2 are very similar - the H3 Neo takes a bit more work to build the image, and less RAM can be a challenge... the config in the article is basically plug and play with the WLAN Pro image

Anyways - these are powerful little devices - H5 Neo 2 as a router on a stick, or combined with a decent USB Gigabit NIC can do interesting things for routing and VPN...

Makaveli likes this.
  7. sfx2000

The vendor (Friendly Elec) does periodic product runs - so check the site from time to time...

as of 20 Dec 2018 - they're in stock...

8. djgizmo

djgizmo Occasional Visitor

Thanks SFX, I'm finally ordering one this week.

9. thiggins

You can also order an assembled kit that includes an 11ac USB Wi-Fi adapter from WLANpros.

djgizmo, Makaveli and Clark Griswald like this.
  10. djgizmo

djgizmo Occasional Visitor

I went back and re-read both original articles and I see that you don't recommend the Comfast adapter anymore. I also went back and re-read this thread. and you mentioned that all AC adapters were being buggy. Is that still the case?

11. thiggins

The project has continued to develop. AC Adapters using Realtek RTL8812AU and RTL8814AU chipsets are now better supported and more features have been added.

The project creator Jerry Olla provides an update.
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Nxx6varUwh0

The Comfast adapter included in the WLANpros kit should now work much better. I've ordered a new kit to check.

Makaveli likes this.
  12. sfx2000

One of the concerns with the A/N/AC adapters - one needs to ensure that they can cover the DFS channels and change the reg_domain...

Not all do...

As a sidebar to a project I'm working on at the moment, ran into a Dual Band Wave2 AP chipset that one can drive pretty hard, and good client STA drivers that also supports TurboQAM in 2.4, about the only thing it's missing in 160MHz support in 5GHz.

I'm up to my elbows in work stuff at the moment, but with OpenWRT, one could do some interesting things...