What's new

Building the Merlin fork without odhcp6

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

randompie

New Around Here
After my WDR3600 died, I went in search of a new router and stumbled across the RT-N66U. I have currently flashed it with AdvancedTomato (did not know about this Merlin fork), and will soon be re-flashing it to Merlin (reason: Unable to use OPTWARE, as the router randomly reboots if a USB drive is attached).

I see that there are detailed instructions to build Merlin from source. I am willing to give it a try, essentially to make teh firmware a bit leaner and to my taste.

One of the things I want to do is to remove odhcp6 as I am pretty happy with DNSMasq as my DHCP solution and had tamed it to hand out addresses the way I wanted it. I had issues with odhcp6 (see: https://github.com/openwrt/odhcpd/issues/27) and would want to use a tried and tested solution.

So, I would like to know (a) is it possible to remove stuff like odhcp6?, (b) how can I remove stuff from the firmware I build - are there instructions somewhere?, and (c) where can I find sources to incorporate additional stuff (like nsupdate from bind9)?

Thanks

So, I would like to know (a) is it possible to remove stuff like odhcp6?,

That would imply compiling without IPv6 support. odhcp6 isn't a DHCP server, it's the client used to obtain an IPv6 from your ISP. Dnsmasq is afterward handling the router advertising part to assign IPv6 to your LAN clients.