What's new

Builds 3.0.0.4.220.18 are out!

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Ok, thanks RMerlin - I have updated to fw .18B and it loks good on the wireless
log. Just an issue left : the unexpected disconnects when I am in the web-gui
of the router : The connection has timed out
The server at 192.168.2.1 is taking too long to respond.
After this message I can not reach anything on internet and no respons on
ping or telnet from the unit. The status on the wireless in Windows is connected
on internet and the speed is 270 Mbps - as before the disconnect.
When I leave it like that after a period of time the connection is reestablished.
Then I can reach the web-gui and the internet too.

Sounds like an issue specific to either your router or your environment, as I see no other report of that issue. Look for the usual: setting a manual channel, dropping bandwidth to 20 Mhz, updating your wireless drivers, etc... One change Asus did in build 220 was to re-enable automatic interference management, so that could be related to your issue if you are in a noisy environment.

Dual WAN+LAN - still not working

Hi, I'm trying to set dual wan via WAN+LAN (WAN is with PPPoE, LAN is with PPTP). When going to WAN page changing WAN type doesn't change network settings below on this page, so i can't set separately WAN0 (WAN) and WAN1 (LAN). Of course, Duai WAN is enabled and firmware is Merlin 3.0.0.4.220.18b. Tried FF 15.0.1 and IE8 - same issue. If setting dual wan to WAN+USB - works fine, setting to WAN+LAN - can't setup. Pls help!

Last edited:
Sounds like an issue specific to either your router or your environment, as I see no other report of that issue. Look for the usual: setting a manual channel, dropping bandwidth to 20 Mhz, updating your wireless drivers, etc... One change Asus did in build 220 was to re-enable automatic interference management, so that could be related to your issue if you are in a noisy environment.

I have just 2 5 GHz-bands in my neighbourhood - my own both of them.
I have set a manual channel : 36 , I use bandwidth of 40 MHz and I have updated the wireless drivers to the latest. I have Preamble type to short in the Professional settings. As I have mentioned before my second 5 GHz-band on
a TP-Link I can connect to this without getting the disconnects. I have
informed Jeremy from Asus about this problem but have not got any answer from him yet.

My issues with the web gui 'hanging' on the wireless log page have been resolved with the latest revision. Thanks, Merlin.

Hi, I'm trying to set dual wan via WAN+LAN (WAN is with PPPoE, LAN is with PPTP). When going to WAN page changing WAN type doesn't change network settings below on this page, so i can't set separately WAN0 (WAN) and WAN1 (LAN). Of course, Duai WAN is enabled and firmware is Merlin 3.0.0.4.220.18b. Tried FF 15.0.1 and IE8 - same issue. If setting dual wan to WAN+USB - works fine, setting to WAN+LAN - can't setup. Pls help!

I can confirm that it's not working. That's probably something Asus hasn't fully finalized yet, as opposed to the USB part that is already production-level as part of the 3G USB failover feature.

Those kinds of unfinished bits or issues are to be expected with a feature labeled as experimental. Currently the only way is probably to manually configure those parameter through telnet, and wait until a future release adds more progress in this area.

I have installed and tried 18b . My wifes kindle fire could not connect to the Wireless 2.4g she was getting on my case so I could not diagnose or pull any log files . I had to revert to .17

Chris

I tried searching around the forum, but "qos" is too short as a search term. Would it possible to include the following QoS features in a future release?

1. Ability to change the Default Class of QoS? It took me a LOT of debugging/testing everything in my network to figure out that the QoS defaults to "Low", thus all my uploads were at 50% speed. My QoS rules only contain high priority (voip) and very low priority (p2p), thus every other device and internet usage was at 50% upload.

2. Ability to create a rule with "Source Port" or "Destination IP". This would really help with my online backup provider (Crashplan) since the only way to filter out their data is by using those criteria (they go over port 443 as the dest port, so can't filter using that).

Both features have existed in Tomato QoS for a while and since the Asus firmware's QoS is derived from it, I'm hoping it's easy enough to allow these abilities again.

Thanks for all the work!

1. Ability to change the Default Class of QoS? It took me a LOT of debugging/testing everything in my network to figure out that the QoS defaults to "Low", thus all my uploads were at 50% speed. My QoS rules only contain high priority (voip) and very low priority (p2p), thus every other device and internet usage was at 50% upload.

Edit the upload rate of the Low priority to match what you desire to use as the default class.

2. Ability to create a rule with "Source Port" or "Destination IP". This would really help with my online backup provider (Crashplan) since the only way to filter out their data is by using those criteria (they go over port 443 as the dest port, so can't filter using that).

There's currently no plans to change how QoS works.

Tested Merlins latest build last night, I have a 100/5 mbps cable connection and I was trying to load it up to full throttle with bittorrent uploads and downloading Steam games. With QOS off, maxing out my internet connection in both upload and download showed I was barely touching the CPU load. 0.01 at the most. Once I tried to set up QOS with configs for my connection and ran the same upload and download loads, CPU load went up as high as 1.36! The CTF flag or what ever it it's called, deffanatly akes a difference.

I have decided to leave it off as I don't really need it anyway, SOHO network. Everything seems to work quicker with it off anyway.

Installed .18b and the home network is getting a good workout (couple of the kids staying for a couple weeks) with 3-5 computers (2 wired, 3 wireless), 2 iPads and about 5 android phones connected it hasn't burped once.

Sam

I'm having the internet lag issue with 18b as well.

Update:
What seemed to help me was going in to Wireless/General and..

• 2.4GHz Control Channel "not in Auto"
  • 2.4GHz Extension Channel: "Upper"

Last edited:
Would someone be so kind as to give me a guide on how to install this firmware coming from TomatoeUSB 1.28

Would someone be so kind as to give me a guide on how to install this firmware coming from TomatoeUSB 1.28

• Reboot router into asus recovery mode and clear NVRAM
  • Open up the asus restoration utility ( can be found on your cd or asus support downloads )
  • Upload merlin WRT
  • Reboot into recovery again and clear NVRAM again

( Be sure to set a static ip on your machine ! )

• Reboot router into asus recovery mode and clear NVRAM
  • Open up the asus restoration utility ( can be found on your cd or asus support downloads )
  • Upload merlin WRT
  • Reboot into recovery again and clear NVRAM again

( Be sure to set a static ip on your machine ! )

Note to self... wait for router to reboot after uploading firmware then do a NVRAM clear :)

I'm having the internet lag issue with 18b as well.

Update:
What seemed to help me was going in to Wireless/General and..

• 2.4GHz Control Channel "not in Auto"
  • 2.4GHz Extension Channel: "Upper"

Thanks!

This post helped me with my slow 5GHz network speeds, which were 50% of my 2.4GHz speeds. New settings yield 100% speeds.

Wireless Mode - N Only
Control Channel - 48
Channel bandwidth - 40MHz
Extension Channel: - Auto
Authentication Method - WPA2-Personal
WPA Encryption - AES

My router is in the attic, and I get max speeds even in the basement.

Call for feedback:

Is anyone using this firmware with a USB modem and using a PIN? Could you tell me what modem brand/model you are using, and whether it's working correctly for you or not?

Thanks!