What's new

Buy rt ax86u

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Don't buy routers from another region. The region is hardcoded and can't be changed.

@jsz, I've been saying that from when the specs were available.

A 'pro' model needs to be head and shoulders above anything beforehand (and I don't care if it's a successor to the original model, I take the entire lineup into account when deciding what to choose/consider).

This 'pro' is akin to mag wheels on a Pinto. They both get the same performance increase.

It's just a bit annoying.

Hardware is likely wired CPU > WAN (which could support 2.5G) + 2.5G add on chip given purchase logistics for other models.

Not saying that it's impossible to have the 1G WAN as an external add on, but that chip will also generally support 2.5G.

They're not going to source some random 1G transceiver/switch. Wouldn't make sense IMO.

Marketing is involved. RT-AX58U and the many similar AX3000 models make no sense with locked features, but AX5400 models based on the same hardware sell for more money. They won't give you GT-AX6000 or better equivalent for less. I wouldn't be surprised if GT-AX6000 gets just some of the Pro features just because it's not marketed as Pro model. BCM4906 based RT-AC86U/GT-AC5300 can run 388 firmware, but will never get one.

Yes. The amplifier assortments were even wired directly for 4x4 5G on various MSQ-RTAXJ300 SKU's.

Only existed as a competitive 160mhz option vs AX3000 Intel LantiQ models, but it really showed the up charge and waste of hardware.

I guess BCM is to blame for not having a 160mhz SoC at the time, but the margins must be insane, especially on AX82U @ MSRP.

It's same case with AX86U PRO not having 2x 2.5G, granted GT-AX6000 ($30 USD higher MSRP after price drop) could have still had the leg up with a 4x4 2.4G card and the extra "external" antenna, but whether that matters depends on how well the router itself does in a location.

AX88U PRO has to basically one up the GT-AX6000 from that perspective. Would be disapointing if its just 2.5G + extra 1GB x4 switch config for 8-9 total. Would like to see 10G or Mutliport 2.5G (3+), at least extending past GT-AX6000 model. Maybe $350-380 USD.

As for FW, there's 388 based A7 675X SoCs which are going to be innately weaker than 4906.

My concern is the 512MB ram limitation on all newer models. Like I mentioned, AX86S on 388 consumes 400mb with nothing enabled out of box. It will peg 450+ MB when enabling features.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hardware is likely wired CPU > WAN (which could support 2.5G) + 2.5G add on chip given purchase logistics for other models.
What you can interface with the SoC is limited by what interfaces Broadcom puts on that SOC. In the case of the BCM4912:

• Integrated 2.5G multi-Gig PHY for WAN or LAN
  • 2x USXGMII Ethernet ports and 1x RGMII port
  • Quad integrated GbE PHYs
  • 5th Gen dual issue runner – packet processor
  • Quad PCIe controllers

The PCIe controllers are usually dedicated for use with wifi SoC (so in the case of the flagship GT-AXE16000, that handles 2.4Ghz + 2 x 5 GHz + 6 GHz). That leaves the pair of USXGMII ports (which the GT-AXE16000 uses for 2 x 10 Gbps).

What you can interface with the SoC is limited by what interfaces Broadcom puts on that SOC. In the case of the BCM4912:

• Quad PCIe controllers

The PCIe controllers are usually dedicated for use with wifi SoC (so in the case of the flagship GT-AXE16000, that handles 2.4Ghz + 2 x 5 GHz + 6 GHz). That leaves the pair of USXGMII ports (which the GT-AXE16000 uses for 2 x 10 Gbps).

Yes. AX86U PRO has a 1GB "WAN" port that would either have to be implemented via controller or downgraded from the integrated 2.5G

I would rather believe the 1G port is somehow limited from the integrated 2.5G wiring with extended 2.5G from a chip like BCM50991 (supports 5G/2.5G).

Both can be used as "WAN", but the "native" wiring (BCM4912) likely has to be tied to the "1G" Port.

• Quad PCIe controllers

Hello, what is recommended? ax86u on sale or ax86u pro without sale. It is important that it will serve me for several more years, thanks

'On sale', or 'without sale', doesn't mean anything without a dollar value attached.

What are the actual prices here?

There is no doubt the unknown quantity here (the 'pro'), even on sale, is not the wise choice going forward, today. It may become a good choice in the future (6 months +, or longer). But today, you're gambling with this new variant that is definitely not 'pro' vs. what the GT-AX6000 offers.

'On sale', or 'without sale', doesn't mean anything without a dollar value attached.

What are the actual prices here?

There is no doubt the unknown quantity here (the 'pro'), even on sale, is not the wise choice going forward, today. It may become a good choice in the future (6 months +, or longer). But today, you're gambling with this new variant that is definitely not 'pro' vs. what the GT-AX6000 offers.
Everything now has this PRO in it even though there's nothing "PRO" about it maybe 1 or 2 extra features but nothing that is really meant for PRO's. Anyway, the GT-AX6000 has been the best and most stable router I have ever used to date! That's "PRO" enough in my books.

Everything. Anyway, the GT-AX6000 has been the best and most stable router I have ever used to date! That's "PRO" enough in my books.

Have you compared it to AX86U, which of them has a larger Wi-Fi coverage radius, if so?

Don't buy routers from another region. The region is hardcoded and can't be changed.
Let me disagree with you. All models for the European market have artificially understated power of the Wi-Fi transmitter (in accordance with regional regulations). For this reason, many buyers prefer models created for the U.S. market. And by the way, yes, in many models it is possible to change the region on your own, for example, in the United States, but very few people know how to do so.

Have you compared it to AX86U, which of them has a larger Wi-Fi coverage radius, if so?
I only had the AX-88U before, not the AX-86U but the GT-AX6000 has better wifi coverage than the AX-88U if that matters. I can get signal in places that I couldn't with the AX-88U. For example, my router is located on the 1st floor in my house and I could still get signal downstairs in the kitchen which is about 35ft away (with a door closed as my router is in my office) , of course the WiFi speed drops from a max download speed of 750 MBPS on my 1GBPS Down connection to 350 MBPS but still happy that I can get a signal at least. Planning to buy a 2nd GT-AX6000 soon to put them in AiMesh mode.

Last edited:
I would like to know which Asus model from the entire line has the largest Wi-Fi coverage area? It's unfortunate to realise that my AX86U, has less Wi-Fi coverage, than my neighbour's Netis MW5230. Let the devil take him…

I only had the AX-88U before, not the AX-86U but the GT-AX6000 has better wifi coverage than the AX-88U if that matters. I can get signal in places that I couldn't with the AX-88U. For example, my router is located on the 1st floor in my house and I could still get signal downstairs in the kitchen which is about 35ft away (with a door closed as my router is in my office) , of course the WiFi speed drops from a max download speed of 750 MBPS on my 1GBPS Down connection to 350 MBPS but still happy that I can get a signal at least. Planning to buy a 2nd GT-AX6000 soon to put them in AiMesh mode.
Ax88u and ax86u same hardware?

Ax88u and ax86u same hardware?

Doesn't matter. EE design and antenna layout will contribute to variable performance per environment... even between units when factoring tolerance of individual parts.

Even if the hardware is the same (I don't believe it is though), the newer RT-AX86U is running on a newer SDK version.

Plus, two years newer RF design on the RT-AX86U too.

Let me disagree with you. All models for the European market have artificially understated power of the Wi-Fi transmitter (in accordance with regional regulations)

Yes, they follow the regional regulations. Illegal RF emissions in Israel in particular may have serious consequences. You are allowed to disagree. I do not recommend illegal hardware or software. Even if I know how to manipulate some setting I won't provide any information how to do it.

Даже если я знаю, как манипулировать некоторыми настройками, я не буду предоставлять никакой информации о том, как это сделать.
Honestly, it's a pity that it is, to some extent I was counting on it. The European version of my routers have a weak radio module, this is especially noticeable in the AX55. But I understand you

The fact that I touched on this topic could cause difficulties with the fact that I could visit this forum? I can log in only with VPN. Did someone complain about me, or did I break the rules?

The fact that I touched on this topic could cause difficulties with the fact that I could visit this forum?

У тебя другие проблемы, наверное связанные с геополитической обстановкой в регионе.

Honestly, it's a pity that it is, to some extent I was counting on it.

We don't discuss illegal modifications in this forum. There are sources of information in your language though.

Last edited:
У вас есть другие проблемы, вероятно, связанные с геополитической обстановкой в регионе.
I don't even know, this problem appeared after I expressed my opinion about changing the region to another... Before that, everything was fine. If I understood you correctly, my country is in friendly relations with the countries of your region.
Мы не обсуждаем незаконные изменения на этом форуме. Тем не менее, есть источники информации на вашем языке.
There is such information, as well as people who solve these issues, but they are from another country. Which i don't want to turn to.

Last edited: