What's new

Buy rt ax86u

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Вы все еще можете прочитать то, что написано.
To be honest, I didn't find such information, maybe I didn't search well. It is about remote influence on the device (if I understood everything correctly), which made me abandon this idea.
Thanks

Honestly, it's a pity that it is, to some extent I was counting on it. The European version of my routers have a weak radio module, this is especially noticeable in the AX55. But I understand you
Is the American router version better than the European version for wifi?

They're flashed with region specific power limitations. US for example has 1W limitation for UNII 1+3 blocks.

In some countries using a specific channel block or increasing power is illegal and will get you fined/jailed.

Last edited by a moderator:
טוב יותר. אני לא מוכשר בעניינים האלה, אבל הספק של משדר הרדיו גבוה יותר, רדיוס הכיסוי של ה-Wi-Fi גדול יותר.

Better. I am not competent in these matters, but the power of the radio transmitter is higher, the Wi-Fi coverage radius is larger.
Is it related to the version? Can this figure be changed?

Currently I have sold an AX58U due to reboots problem, I have bought the ASUS RT-AX86S, do you think ASUS RT-AX86S is a good buy? Any comments to take into account?

Depending on the price you bought it for, the length of expected use, and any expected changes in your LAN or ISP speeds, not to mention any scripts or other extra features/options you want to be enabled on it too, it may or may not be a good buy.

Purely from a hardware perspective, I do not believe it is a good buy in 2023.

The RT-AX86U has double the RAM, and double the cores, and is the router most capable of handling the network the longest (because of the better hardware). Even at $150 more, if you consider a router to be kept in service for 5 years or more, it is the better buy, IMO.

The GT-AX6000 is the most balanced hardware router you can buy from Asus today. With an excellent track record, and even has faster throughput (~20%) than the previous best; the RT-AX86U.

Above these two routers today, the future is pointing to WiFi 7. But I wouldn't be buying gen 1 versions of those either (at least, not for 6+ months or so after they have been released and tested by a large number of users (preferably, right here on SNB).

I subjectively think the AX86S is fine if you can grab it for around $100 USD less than AX86U ($250 USD atm), but it really depends on how big your network is.

20-30 clients split between two users will in no way saturate the AX86S, but if you have 3-4 users and 60-80+ clients, I would invest in a quad core/1GB model just for leverage. The 512MB limitation of AX86S is also apparent if you enable any SW layered feature. Will peg 450MB+ easily.

AX86U is in a weird spot where it's holding its value/MSRP due to sheer popularity, but I would not take it over GT-AX6000 in the same $250-300 USD price bracket.

I don't think there will be much wrong with the AX86U PRO other than being a innately "nerfed" platform relative to GT-AX6000. Real world WIFI performance will be subjective to how well the device does in your home.

@ $300 USD, the GT-AX6000 is more objectively "capable" given the hardware advantages, but whether it performs better vs AX86U PRO is RNG. May go either way depending on home.

WIFI7 has to be aggressively priced to really take over.. Maybe Mediatek cuts deals via supply chains to major players/brands. They have the most advanced node @ 6nm (TSMC). I would argue that they want to make a dent in the industry given the marketing push for the past year.

Broadcom just switched from TSMC 28nm (BCM4908) to TSMC 16nm (BCM4912), and QCA seems to plan to stay on Samsung 14nm for WIFI7 products. Both are in the same ballpark.

tsmc-density-with-7nm.png

And ax86u pro?

Still inferior to the better hardware-balanced GT-AX6000.

With no track record (yet) to push it one way or the other, the inferior hardware balance makes this less 'pro' and more 'money grab' by Asus, to me.

With no track record (yet) to push it one way or the other, the inferior hardware balance makes this less 'pro' and more 'money grab' by Asus, to me.
I liked the GT-AX6000 but its looks are not wife friendly, at least not my wife and she’s the only one that matters to me. :)

Yes. AX86U PRO has a 1GB "WAN" port that would either have to be implemented via controller or downgraded from the integrated 2.5G

I would rather believe the 1G port is somehow limited from the integrated 2.5G wiring with extended 2.5G from a chip like BCM50991 (supports 5G/2.5G).

Both can be used as "WAN", but the "native" wiring (BCM4912) likely has to be tied to the "1G" Port.

Some Chinese guy opened one up (ignore the overkill thermal padding). I'm kinda confused how this is implemented unless that's a RGMII chip next to the 4912.

Hard to really see since he doesn't zoom in. Looks like the 2.5G port is wired from BCM4912. No typical transceiver here.

Given positioning, I wouldn't be surprised if one of the switch ports isn't native to CPU, but I suppose I have to wait for FCC photos. (March hold)

How did you quantify this?

My biggest issue with the AX86U remains range. I have one room, where I get SNR values between 8-12. Still good enough for streaming and surfing the web, but I wouldn't do any major file transfers from there. And better than my old r7000p. But it still makes the case for hard wired APs as I don't really get the benefit of WIFI 6 with SNRs below 25 with MIMO 2x2 clients.

How did you quantify this?

My biggest issue with the AX86U remains range. I have one room, where I get SNR values between 8-12. Still good enough for streaming and surfing the web, but I wouldn't do any major file transfers from there. And better than my old r7000p. But it still makes the case for hard wired APs as I don't really get the benefit of WIFI 6 with SNRs below 25 with MIMO 2x2 clients.

You likely need a media bridge via 4x4 router (2nd AX86) or wireless backhaul via same type of setup (Tri band backhaul between two routers)

Don't think a single point high end router will solve much unless it's something like a Qualcomm 8x8 MIMO design over 5G which should theoretically do better though walls, but most on market are gen1/wave1 and have all sorts of issues (from what I've seen).

Thats assuming you can't wire backhaul 2 regular dual band designs IE: 2 AX86U's.

Edit: If range is concern, I don't think the GT-AX6000 is much better, but it does have more radio throughput when you delete walls...

Results seem to be RNG here on this forum from people who gained range performance and or people like me where it only matches a ACW2 class GT-AC2900/AC86U.. if not only a bit better.

I think the argument for the newer HND platform is long term updates, added features.. multiport 2.5G. etc.. UL/DL MU-MIMO on 5G (pretty sure the older BCM43684 does not support, "wave 2" feature).