What's new

Cable Modem Puchasing Help

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Eldram

Regular Contributor
So I'm looking to save on my monthly cable bill by cutting out the modem rental fees and buying my own. Thing is, I don't know what router I need to get. My service provider is Optimum and the modem I rent from them is an Arris 802 that supports Voice (we have Optimum Voice). Does anyone know what I should be looking for in a compatible modem?

Have you looked on your isp’s support pages for which Modem/router they support and that will also support their voip ?
you might be locked in due to the voice option.

Have you looked on your isp’s support pages for which Modem/router they support and that will also support their voip ?
you might be locked in due to the voice option.

I did but I could not find any official list from them. That'd really suck if I'm locked in!

If they have a support forum, ask there. Otherwise go through the vendor pages and support forums and see what you find out. I would start with Arris and a few other popular modems that match your current Arris specs. Some will claim compatibility, but you should dig deeper.

If they have a support forum, ask there. Otherwise go through the vendor pages and support forums and see what you find out. I would start with Arris and a few other popular modems that match your current Arris specs. Some will claim compatibility, but you should dig deeper.
Alrighty I'll do that, thank you.

I'm surprised. I've never seen a "modem" rental fee. I have seen "wifi/router" rental fees. Sometimes the vendor provides an all-in-one "modem/wifi/router" so there's a fee for that.

I've had vendors remove their routers, replace "all-in-ones" with a modem only and even bridge an "all-in-one" product to eliminate the router fee.

I guess it's possible they have a "modem" fee but do double check. You may just need to replace the "wifi/router" to remove the monthly fee.

Last edited:
Klueless - reading the manual, this looks like a straight up modem for cable supporting voice. Single ethernet connection and two phone jacks.

I'm surprised. I've never seen a "modem" rental fee. I have seen "wifi/router" rental fees. Sometimes the vendor provides an all-in-one "modem/wifi/router" so there's a fee for that.

I've had vendors remove their routers, replace "all-in-ones" with a modem only and even bridge an "all-in-one" product to eliminate the router fee.

I guess it's possible they have a "modem" fee but do double check. You may just need to replace the "wifi/router" to remove the monthly fee.

Definitely a modem rental fee. Here's a clip from the bill itself:

Modem Rental Fee.JPG

As mentioned above, it's a modem that supports voice.

Definitely a modem rental fee. Here's a clip from the bill itself:
View attachment 26386
I stand corrected. First time I've seen pricing done this way. (Hope it doesn't catch on : -)

"EQUIP, TAXES & FEES: Free standard installation with online orders. Modem-lease will be charged $10.00 a month. Free Smart Router available with leased modem. Limit 1 router per household. A $3.50 Network Enhancement Fee applies."