What's new

CakeQOS CakeQOS-Merlin v1.0.8

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Overall I know soon Merlin will likely have a way to modify these settings within the firmware, or another way, that's easier than this. Which I appreciate him always trying to make things better than before. I see last night he posted something he wants to test with cake, It's cool to see that. Seems him, and the guys helping him merge cake into his firmware, are trying to make things as best as possible. Plus I really like how he listens to feedback, and works on things, that are reasonable.
I don't think Merlin is interested in giving users a million ways to tweak these default settings since the defaults are generally very reasonable. It's best not exposing all the dangerous buttons and levers to folks who might not know what they are doing. Those who need to tweak will either have, or can develop the skills to tweak things themselves.

Rather I suspect the folks in this thread are quietly working towards making an Addons page for controlling cake and all of it parameters ;).

I greatly appreciate you taking the time, to post all this info for me. Now I know how to changes these settings, and I used this to check, after I enabled QoS, and it came back with the options I added to that file. So it all seems to be working as intended. I'm not afraid to say I'm a noob at certain things. But I do learn, and add that to stuff I know going forward. So it's nice to know how to do this now.

Overall I know soon Merlin will likely have a way to modify these settings within the firmware, or another way, that's easier than this. Which I appreciate him always trying to make things better than before. I see last night he posted something he wants to test with cake, It's cool to see that. Seems him, and the guys helping him merge cake into his firmware, are trying to make things as best as possible. Plus I really like how he listens to feedback, and works on things, that are reasonable.

Before you get too deep into cake world, and you're testing cake, have you tried testing the following :

Thread '[Cake test] Cake experiments for 386.2 Beta' http://www.snbforums.com/threads/cake-test-cake-experiments-for-386-2-beta.71271/

Let us know if this helps you with gaming/jitter.

I've been back and forth with Flex and CAKE as well but for the past few weeks I've running Flex. I'll wait to to try CAKE when the fw is finalized.

Rather I suspect the folks in this thread are quietly working towards making an Addons page for controlling cake and all of it parameters ;).

I agree the main page shouldn't have a bunch of stuff to modify. More of an extra/addon page like you mentioned.

Before you get too deep into cake world, and you're testing cake, have you tried testing the following :

Thread '[Cake test] Cake experiments for 386.2 Beta' http://www.snbforums.com/threads/cake-test-cake-experiments-for-386-2-beta.71271/

Yeah I seen that, and that's what I was mentioning a bit in my last post. I'm curious to understand what this is doing, and is it possibly making Cake run better? I seen someone mentioned they gain about 80Mbps on the download side with this change. Funny enough, after I modified the settings I wanted early this morning. I decided to bump the download setting up to 500mbps, and I guess with the simple settings I'm running on my AX88U. I was hitting like 485mbps, over a couple tests. I set it to around 440mbps for now. A good bit lower than what I get on the downstream, still that's well over 50MBps I can download at, something I can live with, when I need to download things.

EDIT: As for what Merlin's is testing right now with cake, in that new thread. I will just keep an eye on, and not test myself at the moment. As I don't want to swap cake settings, and also apply this test change. To much change isn't smart, when I'm trying to see how my online gaming is running. My main thing I'm watching for right now, is playing multiple online matches, and just keeping an eye out for things getting jerky randomly. Which is what it kind of feels like when playing COD CW. I know that feeling is when jitter/latency is spiking randomly. If I can go a day, or two, playing 5-6 matches, without this happening multiple times. I will say cake is running fine.

Last edited:
Overall I know soon Merlin will likely have a way to modify these settings within the firmware, or another way, that's easier than this.
I have no plan to add any further settings for Cake. The goal is to provide a basic setup that works for most people, anyone else who wants to tweak things further will have to do so through custom config, same as most other features, or use this addon.

I have no plan to add any further settings for Cake. The goal is to provide a basic setup that works for most people, anyone else who wants to tweak things further will have to do so through custom config, same as most other features, or use this addon.

Thanks for clearing that up. I'm okay now @jata explaining to me how to do everything step by step. I was just so use to how easy it was to change CakeQoS before the merge, just using SSH, and using the cake menu. But as I said in my other post.. I like using the built in version, as I don't use a usb drive for anything else, besides cakeqos. So I can now unplug the usb drive.

Last edited:
The 350 Mbps value I mention is just a very rough estimate. That limit will depend on the router CPU, as well as the type of traffic - NATing 50 torrent connections will be more intensive than NATing one single Speedtest.
Thanks for this info...

What router was the 350 Mb test conducted on, out of curiosity? My router is the Asus ROG GT AC2900, which I believe is the same spec wise as the
86U?

Last edited:
I didn't do any test, as I said, it's just a rough estimate.

I think it's key on how much other stuff, scripts, and such you have running as well. My AX88U is pretty vanilla right now, besides running cake, normal router functions, like wifi. I was able to hit around 480mbps, on a speedtest multiple times, with cake running. I still set cake to like 440Mbps on the download side, as I don't think setting it at the max is smart overall. Hell I could run it at 400Mbps, and be happy. I just have mine set at 440Mbps currently.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!