What's new

CakeQOS CakeQOS-Merlin v1.0.8

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

@ttgapers I presume that the cake-qos project will still live on, and instead be modified to such that it ties into the Merlin-native script structure now.

Any tweaks and tunes from cake-qos will override Merlin's defaults.

And from what I understand, Merlin has now figured out how to add all the DSCP hooks into the "tc" and the like and we can now look into adding proper tagging and diffserv support.

Should we look at lifting one of the popular rulesets from OpenWrt with a mind to adapt it to Merlin/Asuswrt?
@Odkrys , you referred to an OpenWrt ruleset you were using. Is that a standard one that is being maintained, or does everyone tend to bake their own?
I reckon a basic set of rules targeted at being used with diffserv3, or diffserv4 would be more than enough.

hi folks - happy user of cake and occasional torrent user. I'd like to test out this Per-Host Isolation setting.

I currently use bridged-ptm as my only additional setting. How do I add Per-Host Isolation?

Below is my current config output...

CakeQOS-Merlin: > Download Status:
qdisc cake 800a: dev ifb9eth4 root refcnt 2 bandwidth 48Mbit diffserv3 triple-isolate nat wash ingress no-ack-filter split-gso rtt 100.0ms ptm overhead 22 no-sce

CakeQOS-Merlin: > Upload Status:
qdisc cake 8009: dev eth4 root refcnt 2 bandwidth 17Mbit diffserv3 triple-isolate nat nowash no-ack-filter split-gso rtt 100.0ms ptm overhead 22 no-sce

hi folks - happy user of cake and occasional torrent user. I'd like to test out this Per-Host Isolation setting.

I currently use bridged-ptm as my only additional setting. How do I add Per-Host Isolation?

Below is my current config output...

qdisc cake 800a: dev ifb9eth4 root refcnt 2 bandwidth 48Mbit diffserv3 triple-isolate nat wash ingress no-ack-filter split-gso rtt 100.0ms ptm overhead 22 no-sce

qdisc cake 8009: dev eth4 root refcnt 2 bandwidth 17Mbit diffserv3 triple-isolate nat nowash no-ack-filter split-gso rtt 100.0ms ptm overhead 22 no-sce
Add dual-srchost to your extra upload options in the menu, and dual-dsthost to your extra download options.

Add dual-srchost to your extra upload options in the menu, and dual-dsthost to your extra download options.
thanks. This is what I have been trying but can i add both settings at once. It seems I can only use one or the other. How do I separate the options so they are both accepted?

thanks. This is what I have been trying but can i add both settings at once. It seems I can only use one or the other. How do I separate the options so they are both accepted?
If you're using the menu system, they are separate options (4&5) under "Change cake settings"

If you're using the menu system, they are separate options (4&5) under "Change cake settings"
I am not getting it. I am trying to add 2 options in my download settings - dual-dsthost and bridged-ptm

so i have tried...

cake-qos settings optionsdl dual-dsthost bridged-ptm

but it does not parse both options into the config.

If I just use dual-dsthost then 'ptm' and 'overhead 22' is not added (these settings are set using bridged-ptm)

I am not getting it. I am trying to add 2 options in my download settings - dual-dsthost and bridged-ptm

so i have tried...

cake-qos settings optionsdl dual-dsthost bridged-ptm

but it does not parse both options into the config.

If I just use dual-dsthost then 'ptm' and 'overhead 22' is not added (these settings are set using bridged-ptm)
Try cake-qos settings optionsdl "dual-dsthost bridged-ptm"

Try cake-qos settings optionsdl "dual-dsthost bridged-ptm"
thanks - that worked - stupid I didn't try this (I did try using commas to separate and failed)

so my settings look like this now...

qdisc cake 8022: dev ifb9eth4 root refcnt 2 bandwidth 48Mbit diffserv3 dual-dsthost nat wash ingress no-ack-filter split-gso rtt 100.0ms ptm overhead 22 no-sce

qdisc cake 8021: dev eth4 root refcnt 2 bandwidth 17Mbit diffserv3 dual-srchost nat nowash no-ack-filter split-gso rtt 100.0ms ptm overhead 22 no-sce

Do you realise that if you just run "cake-qos" without any parameters, there is a fully menu driven interface for setting options?

It's a little more long winded using the menu, but at least you don't need to worry about precise syntax.

How does Cake interact with a VPN connection? I have a full time VPN connection to a TorGuard server.

@ttgapers Well it seems with the beta RMerlin just released, it's possible to modify the settings. However this isn't my thing. But I would like to try Gato's setting suggestion. Any help on how I could possibly do this with the beta build out now? I just have a Cable(docsis) connection.

EDIT: NVM just reread the post on the beta build. Seems Merlin applied this change for now. So I will check it out.

@ttgapers Well it seems with the beta RMerlin just released, it's possible to modify the settings. However this isn't my thing. But I would like to try Gato's setting suggestion. Any help on how I could possibly do this with the beta build out now? I just have a Cable(docsis) connection.

Hi - if you look at the release notes Gato's suggestion is now the default. If you only have Cable/DOCSIS then you can apply just like myself now with your options for up/down speeds.

Check the Release Notes for the latest 386.2 beta in this post here.

• dual-dsthost/dual-srchost was used instead of the default triple-isolate, as this should in theory provide better traffic management when multiple hosts are using the Internet at once
  • Various tc options were added to iproute2, like "ipset", "ematch" and "skbedit" support, allowing for more advanced tc filter rules to be defined.

1615400939115.png

And here are the keys to doing your own mods:
  • The current implementation uses a diffserv3 queuing scheme for uploads (meaning that services like VoIP can get higher priority), and a single besteffort queue for download (as priority mapping of traffic coming from the Internet cannot be relied upon). On startup, Cake QoS will create two files:
  • /etc/cake-qos.conf, which contains the variables with parameters
  • /tmp/qos, which is the script that sets/removes the tc rules, based on the parameters retrieved from cake-qos.conf
  • cake-qos.conf can be overridden through the use of a /jffs/configs/cake-qos.conf.add file, which will be appended at the end of it. If you define any variable in the .add file, these will replace the values already defined in the router-generated cake-qos.conf.
  • You can also use the qos-start script that gets run before the /tmp/qos script to completely replace /tmp/qos with your own script, for more advanced customization of your Cake setup.
  • Make sure you configure the correct overhead when enabling Cake QoS, by selecting a preset from the list (by click on the red arrow). Selecting a preset will automatically configure the appropriate overhead, PMU and mode. If unsure, then select the Conservative option as a general safe value.
Cheers. Sorry for the cross post, but should clarify a couple questions in this thread related to the addon -and hopefully starts adding some idea of where we can be headed.

Hi - if you look at the release notes Gato's suggestion is now the default. If you only have Cable/DOCSIS then you can apply just like myself now with your options for up/down speeds.

Check the Release Notes for the latest 386.2 beta in this post here.

• dual-dsthost/dual-srchost was used instead of the default triple-isolate, as this should in theory provide better traffic management when multiple hosts are using the Internet at once
  • Various tc options were added to iproute2, like "ipset", "ematch" and "skbedit" support, allowing for more advanced tc filter rules to be defined.

View attachment 31821

And here are the keys to doing your own mods:
  • The current implementation uses a diffserv3 queuing scheme for uploads (meaning that services like VoIP can get higher priority), and a single besteffort queue for download (as priority mapping of traffic coming from the Internet cannot be relied upon). On startup, Cake QoS will create two files:
  • /etc/cake-qos.conf, which contains the variables with parameters
  • /tmp/qos, which is the script that sets/removes the tc rules, based on the parameters retrieved from cake-qos.conf
  • cake-qos.conf can be overridden through the use of a /jffs/configs/cake-qos.conf.add file, which will be appended at the end of it. If you define any variable in the .add file, these will replace the values already defined in the router-generated cake-qos.conf.
  • You can also use the qos-start script that gets run before the /tmp/qos script to completely replace /tmp/qos with your own script, for more advanced customization of your Cake setup.
  • Make sure you configure the correct overhead when enabling Cake QoS, by selecting a preset from the list (by click on the red arrow). Selecting a preset will automatically configure the appropriate overhead, PMU and mode. If unsure, then select the Conservative option as a general safe value.
Cheers. Sorry for the cross post, but should clarify a couple questions in this thread related to the addon -and hopefully starts adding some idea of where we can be headed.
Pardon me for my lack of knowledge here, I'm not the most techy guy and I'm learning along the way. Because I am in a double NAT situation, I want to let my WAN connection know that it is a pure ethernet connection all the way through with this Double NAT. How can I go about accessing this .add file so I can make "lan" an extra download option?

Pardon me for my lack of knowledge here, I'm not the most techy guy and I'm learning along the way. Because I am in a double NAT situation, I want to let my WAN connection know that it is a pure ethernet connection all the way through with this Double NAT. How can I go about accessing this .add file so I can make "lan" an extra download option?
You can add options using the following format:

However, you do not want to use the "lan" option for your connection.
For those rtt parameters, you want to use the option that most closely matches the ping time to the types of servers you normally connect to over the internet.

The default value of 100ms is usually fine, but you may consider the "regional" setting of 30ms if you mostly generate traffic from sites within your own country.

"lan" is if you are trying to shape traffic to a destination that is literally on your LAN.

In all honesty, you're probably better off not changing it at all.

I’m running cake with pretty much default settings (docsis and ack filter) and everything is butter smooth. How does merlin’s default settings compare to the current default? Any reason to run one implementation over the other?

There are so many different settings:
Code:
Connservative default
Ethernet with VLAN
Cable (DOCSIS)
PPPoE VDSL
RFC2684/RFC1483 Bridged LLC/Snap
ADSL PPPoE VC/Mux
ADSL PPPoE LLC/Snap
VDSL Bridged/IPoE
VDSL2 PPPoE PTM
VDSL2 Bridged PTM
Which one does apply to my ISP?
I have a PPPoE connection with 250 Mbps. I don't know if DSL, VDSL, ADSL....

I have a PPPoE connection with 250 Mbps. I don't know if DSL, VDSL, ADSL....
Check your ISP website, or ask your ISP. Searching online for your modem model might also provide hints.

Hi, in my general status it shows the following, is this correct?

qdisc cake 800c: dev ifb9eth0 root refcnt 2 [Unknown qdisc, optlen=132]

qdisc cake 800b: dev eth0 root refcnt 2 [Unknown qdisc, optlen=132]

My settings are:

[1] --> Download Speed | [0 Mbit]
[2] --> Upload Speed | [0 Mbit]
[3] --> Queue Priority | [besteffort]
[4] --> Extra Download Options | [docsis rtt 30000]
[5] --> Extra Upload Options | [docsis ack-filter rtt 30000]