What's new

Can I Flash RMerlin FW on RT_AX88U before I set it up?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

cliver

Regular Contributor
Hi all,
Just got a new RT-AX88U because my old AC87U got fried by a ligtening strike.
I'm trying to set it up before I connect it into my network but the UI looks different to the one I'm used to.
It doesn't ask me to login or enter any password. It just gives me the option to setup a new network (the old wizard I guess) or select advanced options.
I though advanced options would take me to the familiar GUI but no, I get a series of questions almost like the wizard.
I would like to flash RMerlin onto it before I go through the setup like I have on previous routers.
Is that possible?
If so how do I get to the relevant UI?
Or do I have to go through the setting up process with the router connected into my network first, get it working and then flash Rmerlin?
Many thanks for all guidance.

If you have the link which leads to the firmware upload page, yes, then you should be able to. At least, on my routers I can skip the basic setup and proceed to the firmware upload page, so I assume the same still goes for the AX88U. But you'll need another AX88U user to copy and paste the link to said page here, as they're most likely different than on my older models.

Thanks Hazel, I should have said. The setup guide says browse to http://route.asus.com. this fails to connect but if I brows to the IP address, which is oddly 192.168.50.1 instead of 0.1. I get a setup page wich looks completely different to the UI I am used to on other Asus routers and I can see no way of circumventing the setup procedure so I can flash RMerlin before anything else. Which is what I have done in the past.

I get a setup page wich looks completely different to the UI I am used to on other Asus routers

Because this is the common setup wizard. Answer the few questions there and you'll get to the GUI you are familiar with.

Thanks Tech9, any idea why browsing to router.asus.com doesn't work?

Hmm, OK, I connected using the ip address as router.asus.com doesn't connect. Went through the basic questions and got to the expected ui. Set up the LAN I P to match my previous settings. Was having trouble getting it to connect to the wan (nowtv) but that's the least of my worries because now if I log off and try to login again it asks for the user and password but then fails to load the gui as it is trying to get the data from router.asus.com.
I've never had this problem with previous asus routers, I have always used the ip address in the past to connect.
Any ideas because now I can't get in at all?

My next problem 8s going to be That to connect to nowtv on my last router I had to put a user|password string in WAN>Special Requirements from isp>Manual client ID (Option 61). I couldn't find that in the WAN setup page. Is it hidden somewhere else?
Sorry for all the questions, I wasn't expecting it to be so different .

Sorry, I just realised I forgot to flash the RMerlin firmware as the first step.
Reset to factory defaults, logged in, went through the basics to get to the UI, flashed Rmerlin and now all is well. Phew o_O

Hi, I'm trying to set up my ASUS router RT-AX58U for NowTV, I have a HG612 3B modem which seems to be working however if I try and input a random user|password the ASUS router refuses to work the internet light stays red and when I log in to the router I get the message your isp's dhcp does not function properly from the network map. Any idea what is wrong?

If you have the link which leads to the firmware upload page, yes, then you should be able to. At least, on my routers I can skip the basic setup and proceed to the firmware upload page, so I assume the same still goes for the AX88U. But you'll need another AX88U user to copy and paste the link to said page here, as they're most likely different than on my older models.
Looks like this has been sorted out... but for others in the future...

You'll need to change the IP for your environment, but this is the firmware upgrade link in the router for AX88U.