What's new

Can I Optimize my RT-AC3100?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

NesTx88

Regular Contributor
Hi everyone,

I've been having internet issues lately. Bought the sb6190 + rt-ac3100, and the first few days was like heaven. Had better coverage than the xfinity router leased, and all was great!

Fast forward now, and I'm getting 8-37mbs (pay for 100). After calling xfinity, I was told an outage was causing reduced speeds, and the tech was even scratching his head when he came. We powered cycle both devices and did speed test many times, unplugged the 3100 which boosted about 7-10mbps, but no luck. My setup:

Desktop - lan via cat5e
voip phone - ditto/2.4
2 roku sticks -wifi/5ghz
old dell inspiron laptop - wifi/2.4
2011 macbook pro - wifi/5ghz
*random 1 gaming console/iphone - on wifi/5ghz

Not sure if an outage is still there (they told me it was resolved, but I still keep seeing trucks around), and my speeds are going up and down. One minute its 100+, the next its at 24-40. I can't even watch my roku because it takes forever to download/load anything with connection time outs. I think right now the wifi device is going 98kb/s.

So until they get things resolved, is there a way I can optimize my 3100 for faster speeds?

I'm running:
Firmware Version:3.0.0.4.380_7743
(stock)

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
...unplugged the 3100 which boosted about 7-10mbps, but no luck.
If I understand you correctly, when you unplugged your Asus router and connected a PC directly into your cable modem you only saw a small improvement. This tells you that the problem is with the cable modem or your ISP and not any of your other equipment.

If I understand you correctly, when you unplugged your Asus router and connected a PC directly into your cable modem you only saw a small improvement. This tells you that the problem is with the cable modem or your ISP and not any of your other equipment.

Yes, how would I know there's a problem with the modem? I dont think it is to be honest (bought it brand new).

Also, if you helps the tech went around my house to see the signal strength/cables. He said the cables were fine, but the signal was degraded (caused by the outage). He told me on the main line, one of the cables went bad, which changed the frequency and caused issues for the neighborhood.

Last edited:
I would think it extremely unlikely to be a problem with the modem, although anything's possible.

It sounds to me like there is still a problem with your ISP's network. I would contact them again. I have no experience of xfinity but if they're like my cable company they should be able to do some remote diagnostics to determine whether there is still a fault on your line.

Last edited:
Yes, how would I know there's a problem with the modem? I dont think it is to be honest (bought it brand new).

Also, if you helps the tech went around my house to see the signal strength/cables. He said the cables were fine, but the signal was degraded (caused by the outage). He told me on the main line, one of the cables went bad, which changed the frequency and caused issues for the neighborhood.

Post your signal levels here i know whats good and bad. 192.168.100.1 Also you are aware the 6190 has many problems and issues and should be avoided. There is a big problem with the Puma 6 chip set that modem uses. Just google it bad modem.

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2017/04/11/intel_puma_6_arris/

Last edited by a moderator:
Post your signal levels here i know whats good and bad. 192.168.100.1 Also you are aware the 6190 has many problems and issues and should be avoided. There is a big problem with the Puma 6 chip set that modem uses. Just google it bad modem.

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2017/04/11/intel_puma_6_arris/

Had no idea about that. Heres my signal levels below, thanks:

m7s4ck.jpg

Your signal levels both downstream and upstream including SNR's are just about perfect. I would get rid of the 6190 and rule out the modem.

So technically speaking, the modem is fine? Or is it the culprit?

And you recommend the 6183? I bought it about 2 months ago, and I don't know if I can get a refund? Would arris be able to repair it and replace it with the right CPU instead of the puma chip?

Thanks for all the help by the way!

So technically speaking, the modem is fine? Or is it the culprit?

And you recommend the 6183? I bought it about 2 months ago, and I don't know if I can get a refund? Would arris be able to repair it and replace it with the right CPU instead of the puma chip?

Thanks for all the help by the way!

The PUMA 6 has high latency.
However your low speeds are an ISP issue, and not being caused by the modem. You signal levels are fine, and the Puma 6 can support speeds up to gigabit, so it's not causing your slow speeds.

So would you downgrade this modem to a 6183?

I literally have this modem in the box ready to return (laughs). Would you recommend I just go with the 6183 (would this be better once the outage is resolved)?

I had my eyes on the cm700, but it's a little out of my budget. I was looking for a modem that future proofed things for a while.

you can keep the modem, there is going to be a firmware update that helps with the latency. If you check dslreports.com you can read more about the intel puma 6

For most, it's not a "downgrade" but a "side grade"...

SB6183 is a decent device, and it doesn't have the PUMA6 issues that the SB6190 does.
Will the puma6 issues be resolved in a update soon, or is it the faulty CPU that cant be fixed?

Is it a better decision to go with the 6183? Does it have far better latency then what I'm getting above? I'm not anyway near 600mbs so the 6183 would be great, but I got a great deal on the 6190. Basically I bought the 6190 for the price of the 6183, so it would be a even exchange at the counter.

I just want something where I theres not much to worry about any slowing down or issues. Something with good constant speeds.

Last edited:
Will the puma6 issues be resolved in a update soon, or is it the faulty CPU that cant be fixed?

Consensus on DSLReports.com forums is likely not... the SB6190 issues have been long-standing, and there doesn't seem to be a consistent outcome here across multiple Cable providers...

Is it a better decision to go with the 6183? Does it have far better latency then what I'm getting above? I'm not anyway near 600mbs so the 6183 would be great, but I got a great deal on the 6190. Basically I bought the 6190 for the price of the 6183, so it would be a even exchange at the counter.

I just want something where I theres not much to worry about any slowing down or issues. Something with good constant speeds.

Depends on your ISP, and the rate plan you're on...

SB6183 - max DL is 686 Mbps
SB6190 - max DL is 1400 Mbps

SB6183 - max UL is 131 Mbps
SB6190 - max UP is 262 Mbps

Download Channels - SB6190 is 32, the SB6183 is 16
Upload Channels - SB6190 is 8, the SB6183 is 4

For less than Gigabit DOCSIS 3.0, the SB6183 is a good bet - it's stable, low latency, and it just works...

If you're on a Gigabit Cable connection - try to find something that isn't a SB6190... talk to your provider, they have options outside of Moto/Arris there.

Don't worry about future proofing - something better is going to come along, probably sooner than later - focus on the now...

Think I'm just gonna go with the 6183 then. Haven't tried gaming yet, but since I'm having issues streaming, it's better to get something that works.

The tech at Comcast said they are going to be rolling out DOCSIS 3.1 modems soon that will give 300mbs speeds in the next year or so, so I think I'll be fine with the 6183.

I'm quite happy personally with my Thomson DCM475. I use these for my customers as well, so far not a single issue with them.

The Comcast trucks recently left, when I came back from return the 6190.

Got the 6183 working and things are going super smooth! 100+ speeds with the 3100 and streaming is going fast. Thanks for all the help and advice to everyone here.

I've been fairly happy with my SB6183 - it just works... I'm on a 150/10 connection, so it's probably overkill...

Previously I had the SB6141, which also was a good device for a DOCSIS3.0 modem - replaced it as part of an electrical misfortune (lightning sucks).

So would you downgrade this modem to a 6183?

I literally have this modem in the box ready to return (laughs). Would you recommend I just go with the 6183 (would this be better once the outage is resolved)?

I had my eyes on the cm700, but it's a little out of my budget. I was looking for a modem that future proofed things for a while.

I've never had a problem with the 6190. It had worked great from the first day I purchased it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!