What's new

Can localhost:8888 cause interference on my network?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

OMGponies

Occasional Visitor
I'm trying to diagnose a network problem I'm having and would appreciate insight:

My friend and I are working on the same wifi network. She's on a Windows 7 work computer using a VPN. Everytime I use a localhost for python (localhost:8888 this case), she complains that I knocked her off of her VPN, or caused some kind of interference on her machine.

A few other details:
- We're on the same 5 Ghz network (wireless N)
- We have plenty of bandwidth (70 Mbps down, 5 up)
- both of us are separated from the wireless router by 30 feet and 2 walls

Last edited:
Are you trying to implement IPv6? What is the full IPv6 address because the last 4 digits of that IPv6 address would be a IPv4 => IPv6 transitional tech for a Google DNS server?

Hey chadster no I'm not. I'm on a WNDR3700 that I've never been able to use IPv6 on. I'm also using Cloudfare DNS.

Here's what I see in my terminal:

[I 22:29:30.618 NotebookApp] The Jupyter Notebook is running at:

[I 22:29:30.618 NotebookApp] http://localhost:8888/?token=aeea9537e6f982b196ac7d3d7691bff70053bcbb577ed307

[I 22:29:30.618 NotebookApp] Use Control-C to stop this server and shut down all kernels (twice to skip confirmation).

Last edited:
I see, interesting stuff.

I don't think this has anything to do with the router. It sounds to me like you have a networking issue.

On the computer running Jupyter server run command "ping localhost" and see if the IP address listed is the same as the computer's IP or 127.0.0.1.

Here's the results from my machine. It's the same result regardless of whether I'm currently running Jupyter:
64 bytes from 127.0.0.1: icmp_seq=2 ttl=64 time=0.113 ms

The IPv4 address from my macbook is 10.0.0.7, which is configured using DHCP (the default settings).

I'll appreciate any suggestions you have.

Ok well localhost isn't the issue.

What is your 10.0.0.0 IP Subnet Mask? (255.255.255.0)

It's 255.255.255.0

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-08-30 at 11.10.37 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-08-30 at 11.10.37 AM.png
    73.1 KB · Views: 224
Well without an error event or more clues I have no more suggestions.

I would install Wireshark on either one of the computers in question to look for DSN or heavy traffic packets between the two devices.

Last edited:
With VPN - watch out for sub-net overlaps...

OP's problem is a key indicator here...

@chadster766 Thanks for the help. Wireshark is a good suggestion the next time this happens.
@sfx2000 Thanks for the suggestion. I'll have to research subnet overlaps before I understand what's going on, but it sounds like since she's using a VPN, and I try to use a localhost while connected to the same network, a subnet overlap occurs.

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll have to research subnet overlaps before I understand what's going on, but it sounds like since she's using a VPN, and I try to use a localhost while connected to the same network, a subnet overlap occurs.

Check the nets - but I suspect it's not an overlap per se.

Keep in mind that localhost is a reserved name - and it means something...

For local development, mDNS is always good (hostname.local), or one can always make an entry on the hosts file specifically for development on your development workstation.

My wife and I are working on the same wifi network. She's on a Windows 7 work computer using a VPN.
The IPv4 address from my macbook is 10.0.0.7, which is configured using DHCP

A lot of VPN software uses 10.x.x.x addresses as the local tunnel addresses. Can you try changing your router subnet from 10.0.0.0 to something else?

For an unrelated reason I got a new modem this past weekend and now I have a new IVv4 address (192.168.1.6) and so does my router (192.168.1.1). IPv6 now works on my network as well. I'll see if the problem continues.

My current fix is to switch to my 2.4 GHz network when I need to use the Jupyter Notebook server (it's for my job). I also thought about getting a tri-band wireless router so we can have two separate 5GHz networks, but for only two of us that seems unnecessary.

Thanks for the replies in any case.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!