What's new

Can only access a website by direct connection to router. Not through switch

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

FrankRunnerDrebin

New Around Here
In short, I am able to access a website when I connect my PC directly to the modem, but not when I use a switch in between.

To login to that website, we need to register our IP addresses first through our HQ. We registered 3 out of 5 static IP addresses allotted by our ISP. The ISP gave us a modem with only 1 working port, so that we had to use a switch to use those 5 IP addresses. Everything works fine except that website (lets call it xyz.com) gives us a license error saying that our IP address is not registered. Its the same IP address I used to login to the website while directly connecting to the modem. Another thing is that "findmyip" website gives a different IP address other than the ones we set in the control panel. This is the case even with direct connection to the modem, but I can login to xyz.com fine. Any help in solving this problem?

In short, I am able to access a website when I connect my PC directly to the modem, but not when I use a switch in between.

To login to that website, we need to register our IP addresses first through our HQ. We registered 3 out of 5 static IP addresses allotted by our ISP. The ISP gave us a modem with only 1 working port, so that we had to use a switch to use those 5 IP addresses. Everything works fine except that website (lets call it xyz.com) gives us a license error saying that our IP address is not registered. Its the same IP address I used to login to the website while directly connecting to the modem. Another thing is that "findmyip" website gives a different IP address other than the ones we set in the control panel. This is the case even with direct connection to the modem, but I can login to xyz.com fine. Any help in solving this problem?

Have you consulted with your ISP on proper use of their service?

OE

Last edited:
By chance are you using a smart switch which has DHCP on and it is grabbing an outside IP, one of your statics? Try setting the switch up with a private IP address in a network that you are not using. You should be able to access the switch as long as it is not a network inside one of the LANs. This is just a guess.

Have you consulted with your ISP on proper use of their service?

OE
I did what they said. I set the IP address in the control panel's network adapter. All 5 pcs are able to access the internet. ipconfig gives the same IP addresses. Not "findmyip". But still I am able to login to the website by directly plugging into the modem.

You say modem, not router, which could be the issue. A switch doesn't replace a router.
He is correct if you want to use 5 statics and you don't have an old "business router" that supported 5 statics then you could use a switch plugged into a modem and run 5 single routers. There are 5 static IPs available for DHCP with outside IP addresses. I have only done this a long time ago using a dumb switch.

My guess is if you have multiple WAN ports you could plug them into the switch plugged into the modem also. You would need to combine the WAN bandwidth and not use failover as that would make no sense. You would still be limited by ISP bandwidth you could assign different dynamic names if you wanted to.

Last edited:
By chance are you using a smart switch which has DHCP on and it is grabbing an outside IP, one of your statics? Try setting the switch up with a private IP address in a network that you are not using. You should be able to access the switch as long as it is not a network inside one of the LANs. This is just a guess.
D-link Des 1016A. I plugged the switch into the modem, then plugged 5 pcs with the allotted Ip addresses into the switch. All have internet access. How do I set the IP address of a switch?

Unless on the router you can set an individual username and password for a client with a specific MAC address, you'll need to be using a setting called (something similar to) IP Passthru or NAT Passthru, and then set the needed username and password on the connecting client itself. Failing that you'd need to put the ONT/GPON/Modem into bridge mode if that's possible and then connect a router with the capabilities you need rather than a switch.
*You are not the only person with such issues, but you are probably hitting above the pay grade of many ISP consumer support staff!

Unless on the router you can set an individual username and password for a client with a specific MAC address, you'll need to be using a setting called (something similar to) IP Passthru or NAT Passthru, and then set the needed username and password on the connecting client itself. Failing that you'd need to put the ONT/GPON/Modem into bridge mode if that's possible and then connect a router with the capabilities you need rather than a switch.
*You are not the only person with such issues, but you are probably hitting above the pay grade of many ISP consumer support staff!
Yes, the modem needs to be in bridge mode. But he is getting multiple outside IPs so I would think it already is. I thought he was using 3 out of 5 IPs.

The beauty of 5 statics is you can do separate things on the internet. You would not want them all doing the same thing as it would make no sense to have 5 statics. I am sure Crimliar knows this. I just added for general thought.

Last edited:
This appears to be the manual for the ONT.

By default it looks like it operates as a router with four LAN ports. What steps did you perform to reconfigure it as a bridge with only one working port?
It can't be configured. The ISP won't allow us. They just asked us to use that 1 port. Its the deal I think. The website can only be accessed through this ISP. This is fine as long as there is only 1 user for that website.

Yes, the modem needs to be in bridge mode. But he is getting multiple outside IPs so I would think it already is. I thought he was using 3 out of 5 IPs.

The beauty of 5 statics is you can do separate things on the internet. You would not want them all doing the same thing as it would make no sense to have 5 statics. I am sure Crimliar knows this. I just added for general thought.
Yes, "findmyip" give different individual IPs. The 5 pcs have different IPs that I set.(The ones ISP gave us) If that's the case then how does this website know that we are using it from a registered IP address?? All it sees will be the IPs "findmyip" sees, right?

Last edited: