What's new

Can someone please help me dechipher these event log entries?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

tommyv2

Regular Contributor
Asus RT-AC86U.

I get two different kinds that are driving me crazy. I've done a search and a few people have asked, but I've never seen answers. Examples:

This one:

kernel: jffs2: warning: (749) jffs2_sum_write_data: Not enough space for summary, padsize = -500

and this one: (this one seems more obvious, but I can't figure out why they'd be up and down status, it's not like they're actually shutting off minutes apart).

Jun 4 19:20:46 kernel: eth4 (Ext switch port: 3) (Logical Port: 11) Link UP 10 mbps full duplex
Jun 4 19:21:01 kernel: eth4 (Ext switch port: 3) (Logical Port: 11) Link DOWN.
Jun 4 19:21:10 kernel: eth4 (Ext switch port: 3) (Logical Port: 11) Link UP 1000 mbps full duplex
Jun 4 21:33:33 kernel: eth3 (Ext switch port: 2) (Logical Port: 10) Link DOWN.
Jun 4 21:40:32 kernel: eth4 (Ext switch port: 3) (Logical Port: 11) Link DOWN.

Thanks to anyone that can answer!

and this one: (this one seems more obvious, but I can't figure out why they'd be up and down status, it's not like they're actually shutting off minutes apart).

Jun 4 19:20:46 kernel: eth4 (Ext switch port: 3) (Logical Port: 11) Link UP 10 mbps full duplex
Jun 4 19:21:10 kernel: eth4 (Ext switch port: 3) (Logical Port: 11) Link UP 1000 mbps full duplex

Usually indicates a cable problem, could also be a network card problem with the device connected to that port. I recommend replacing the Ethernet cable.

kernel: jffs2: warning: (749) jffs2_sum_write_data: Not enough space for summary, padsize = -500

This one is just a transient warning...

JFFS2 has an erased block summary, and sometimes it's too big to write, so you get the error - it's slows down mounting a bit, once the garbage collector runs through and cleans things up, should be fine...

Asus RT-AC86U.

I get two different kinds that are driving me crazy. I've done a search and a few people have asked, but I've never seen answers. Examples:

This one:

Thanks to anyone that can answer!

My HP printer goes through this pattern routinely. It appears to be periodically waking from sleep mode or some other activity, and it seems to start first with negotiating low connection speeds to the router.

Usually indicates a cable problem, could also be a network card problem with the device connected to that port. I recommend replacing the Ethernet cable.

I recently upgraded to an AC86U and started getting the same errors in the log. Changed the cable, still got the errors. Swapped to a different port on the router and the problem followed. Turns out that the errors coincide with shutting down and starting up a desktop computer. My guess is its something peculiar about the 86U as it didn't happen with any previous ASUS routers running your firmware.

I recently upgraded to an AC86U and started getting the same errors in the log. Changed the cable, still got the errors. Swapped to a different port on the router and the problem followed. Turns out that the errors coincide with shutting down and starting up a desktop computer. My guess is its something peculiar about the 86U as it didn't happen with any previous ASUS routers running your firmware.

Exactly the same issue on my ac86u. Was advised to exchange cable as well but no change. Mine is connected to a ac68u aimesh node ICS2000 home automation device.

Did you find any solution for this?

Last edited:
Exactly the same issue on my ac86u. Was advised to exchange cable as well but no change. Mine is connected to a ac68u aimesh node ICS2000 home automation device.

Did you find any solution for this?
This message is from the network card of the PC or device hanging on the AC86, which goes into sleep mode when the PC is turned off or On.
One of my 2 pc plugged on the 86 give this message and the other no.

This log is harmless.

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!