1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice

Welcome To SNBForums

SNBForums is a community for anyone who wants to learn about or discuss the latest in wireless routers, network storage and the ins and outs of building and maintaining a small network.

If you'd like to post a question, simply register and have at it!

While you're at it, please check out SmallNetBuilder for product reviews and our famous Router Charts, Ranker and plenty more!

Can someone please help me dechipher these event log entries?

Discussion in 'ASUS AC Routers & Adapters' started by tommyv2, Jun 5, 2018.

1. tommyv2

tommyv2 Regular Contributor

Asus RT-AC86U.

I get two different kinds that are driving me crazy. I've done a search and a few people have asked, but I've never seen answers. Examples:

This one:

kernel: jffs2: warning: (749) jffs2_sum_write_data: Not enough space for summary, padsize = -500

and this one: (this one seems more obvious, but I can't figure out why they'd be up and down status, it's not like they're actually shutting off minutes apart).

Jun 4 19:20:46 kernel: eth4 (Ext switch port: 3) (Logical Port: 11) Link UP 10 mbps full duplex
    Jun 4 19:21:01 kernel: eth4 (Ext switch port: 3) (Logical Port: 11) Link DOWN.
    Jun 4 19:21:10 kernel: eth4 (Ext switch port: 3) (Logical Port: 11) Link UP 1000 mbps full duplex
    Jun 4 21:33:33 kernel: eth3 (Ext switch port: 2) (Logical Port: 10) Link DOWN.
    Jun 4 21:40:32 kernel: eth4 (Ext switch port: 3) (Logical Port: 11) Link DOWN.

Thanks to anyone that can answer!

2. Please support SNBForums! Just click on this link before you buy something from Amazon and we'll get a small commission on anything you buy. Thanks!
  3. RMerlin

RMerlin Super Moderator

Usually indicates a cable problem, could also be a network card problem with the device connected to that port. I recommend replacing the Ethernet cable.

4. sfx2000

sfx2000 Part of the Furniture

This one is just a transient warning...

JFFS2 has an erased block summary, and sometimes it's too big to write, so you get the error - it's slows down mounting a bit, once the garbage collector runs through and cleans things up, should be fine...

5. maxbraketorque

maxbraketorque Senior Member

My HP printer goes through this pattern routinely. It appears to be periodically waking from sleep mode or some other activity, and it seems to start first with negotiating low connection speeds to the router.

6. GPMAZ

GPMAZ New Around Here

I recently upgraded to an AC86U and started getting the same errors in the log. Changed the cable, still got the errors. Swapped to a different port on the router and the problem followed. Turns out that the errors coincide with shutting down and starting up a desktop computer. My guess is its something peculiar about the 86U as it didn't happen with any previous ASUS routers running your firmware.

Please support SNBForums! Just click on this link before you buy something from Amazon and we'll get a small commission on anything you buy. Thanks!