What's new

Can someone please help me understand these specifications.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

budgetgamer

Occasional Visitor
Hello,

I'm completely ignorant of WiFi technologies, I'm finding it hard to understand these specifications. Can someone help me?

Here is link 1: http://www.tp-link.in/products/details/cat-9_TL-WR841N.html#specifications

Here is link 2: http://www.tp-link.in/products/details/cat-9_Archer-C20.html#specifications

I'm interested in specifications mentioned in Wireless Features section of the above mentioned links.

Especially how "Signal Rate", "Reception Sensitivity" and "Trasmit Power" compare between each other.

The first one is a single band router and second one is a dual band router, does the single band router's 2.4GHz WiFi performance match the dual band router's 2.4GHz WiFi performance.

Thanks a lot for your help.

You are wasting your time shopping for routers by looking at those specifications. You need to find some product reviews where they have been tested. We haven't tested them.

Rarely will you ever find a true need to buy a new single-band 2.4GHz device....the speed/performance just isn't there. Also to note that the two devices you linked to only have 10/100Mbps Ethernet which has the potential to be the choke-point within the environment depending on the clients, use cases, and Internet speeds.

A better starting point is to generally define your requirements.
- what speeds do you expect/need?
- what speed is your Internet connection?
- what are the use cases you want to support?
- what types of clients do you have? (radio features)
- what is the budget you are shooting for?

Thank you both for your replies. Most of the speeds here max out at 100Mbps but they are also very expensive. Most affordable speeds are around 15Mbps, but they might increase the speed to more as times goes by.

what speeds do you expect/need?
Ans: The one provided by the ISP

what speed is your Internet connection?
Ans: Hopefully 50Mbps but most probably will be a lot lower. Might be less than 15Mbps.

what are the use cases you want to support?
Ans: Streaming, gaming, watching movies, songs

what types of clients do you have? (radio features)
Ans: PC, high gain 2.4GHz and normal 5GHz adapter

what is the budget you are shooting for?
Ans: Cheapest

Hello,

I'm completely ignorant of WiFi technologies, I'm finding it hard to understand these specifications. Can someone help me?

Here is link 1: http://www.tp-link.in/products/details/cat-9_TL-WR841N.html#specifications

Here is link 2: http://www.tp-link.in/products/details/cat-9_Archer-C20.html#specifications

I'm interested in specifications mentioned in Wireless Features section of the above mentioned links.

Especially how "Signal Rate", "Reception Sensitivity" and "Trasmit Power" compare between each other.

The first one is a single band router and second one is a dual band router, does the single band router's 2.4GHz WiFi performance match the dual band router's 2.4GHz WiFi performance.

Thanks a lot for your help.

Both of them look pretty old(look at the WAN, LAN port specs.) Any particular reason lokking at them?

With your requirements set so simple...depending on where you live, just check out your local computer/electronics store and pick up a basic $25 dual-band router. Just about anything on the market can handle a 50Mbps connection with basic usage patterns. I know locally to me (Central US) I can pick up refurb'd AC gear for $35 at MicroCenter or to BestBuy in the $45-55 range.

At a minimum, if you really want to cheap out, just look for a dual-band N600 or higher for $20 or so. If you are going over $35, there are entry level AC class devices available at that price point. Just don't expect miracles from any device within this price point.

To note...unlikely you will get 50Mbps on 2.4GHz unless you live somewhere with fairly clean airspace. In my experience, my 2.4 usually tops out around 35-40Mbps on a good day...and more often settles in around 20Mbps during peak times.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!