What's new

Can someone recommend me a router please?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

TriggerOFAH

Occasional Visitor
Asus one maybe if they are the best ones to get? I currently only have the virgin media hub. All I want is good WiFi signal and speeds and max speeds wired also.. too much for me all the stuff I read about logs an all tha I just a router to help signal and performance and max speeds. Thanks.

You've asked this before. You had an RT-AC86U, then you had a GT-AC5300. A year ago you said were thinking of getting an RT-AX88U.

For Asus routers today I'd suggest the RT-AX86U but don't expect it to be significantly "better" than your RT-AC86U.

You've asked this before. You had an RT-AC86U, then you had a GT-AC5300. A year ago you said were thinking of getting an RT-AX88U.

For Asus routers today I'd suggest the RT-AX86U but don't expect it to be significantly "better" than your RT-AC86U.
Ye ano first time loggin back in since 1 or more.. I took both back the rog had so many antennas wasn't even tha great .. so lookin for wha people have personally and recommend because I have no idea an when I say best am on about signal and performance. https://www.currys.co.uk/products/a...r-ax-6000-dualband-10194207.html#collapseFour wha about this ? Thanks

Asus one maybe if they are the best ones to get? I currently only have the virgin media hub. All I want is good WiFi signal and speeds and max speeds wired also.. too much for me all the stuff I read about logs an all tha I just a router to help signal and performance and max speeds. Thanks.

If ASUS, then consider an RT-AX86U (my install notes).

OE

Last edited:
@TriggerOFAH

What exactly is your issue/? I looked through your sparse prior posts and other than begging for advice and returning devices you're not happy with there's not much detail on why. Not happy with the GUI / VPN / firmware? Is it a coverage issue or something else? How many devices are you using? What's your speed plan with your ISP?

For wired connectivity just about any router/switch would work fine unless you're aiming for 2.5GE / 5GE / 10GE on your LAN / WAN.

WIFI might be handled by a dedicated AP better than a combo router/wifi from currys. Splitting the functions of the two devices into two physical devices works better.

OVPN = SLOW
WIREGUARD = FAST

I would figure after 2 years of this you would have figured something out by now.

For wired connectivity just about any router/switch would work fine unless you're aiming for 2.5GE / 5GE / 10GE on your LAN / WAN.
One caveat I would add however: if going for wired only, then you are more likely to keep it longer than a wifi router (where standards change more frequently), so I would advise to look for something with long term support, or going down the DIY route.

One caveat I would add however: if going for wired only, then you are more likely to keep it longer than a wifi router (where standards change more frequently), so I would advise to look for something with long term support, or going down the DIY route.
That's what I'm getting at but, waiting on the OP to respond. If they haven't found the right device in ~2 years then it's time to go in a different direction but, there's not enough info to suggest a plan yet.

@TriggerOFAH

What exactly is your issue/? I looked through your sparse prior posts and other than begging for advice and returning devices you're not happy with there's not much detail on why. Not happy with the GUI / VPN / firmware? Is it a coverage issue or something else? How many devices are you using? What's your speed plan with your ISP?

WIFI might be handled by a dedicated AP better than a combo router/wifi from currys. Splitting the functions of the two devices into two physical devices works better.

OVPN = SLOW
WIREGUARD = FAST

I would figure after 2 years of this you would have figured something out by now.
Just told ya wha my issue is mate now if you wonder why i have an attitude towards you look at your reply to me “beggin” jokin arnt ya, askin for help/advice of course what’s the problem? Show some respect

Just told ya wha my issue is mate now if you wonder why i have an attitude towards you look at your reply to me “beggin” jokin sent ya, askin for help/advice of course what’s the problem? Show some respect
Can you please write using real words and sentences. It's hard work trying to decode what you're saying. Thanks.

That's what I'm getting at but, waiting on the OP to respond. If they haven't found the right device in ~2 years then it's time to go in a different direction but, there's not enough info to suggest a plan yet.
Since I took a previously ASus rog back which was shirt I haven’t bothered buyin another router yet… so now am back after few years to see if there are any other recommendations since i was last here

Can you please write using real words and sentences. It's hard work trying to decode what you're saying. Thanks.
Not here to try an speak 100% correct grammar this isn’t some sort of exam one letter off maybe 2 words an you struggle with tha? Oh an if you struggle with “tha” then tha means that. We can all be sarcastic. Thanks.

Thanks what about tha compared to the 2 netgear routers I posted ?

Just to try and explain again I just want a good router ye I had 2 an took them back since then I have just used the normal virgin hub. Wha i want is good Wi-Fi signal but I also have wired device’s. So ye mainly just strong good wifi signal and possibly gamin feature where I can make a ps5 for example narrow down servers to more near me but mainly Wi-Fi signal for when non wired devices are in use.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!