What's new

Can the DNS in router be instructed to forward specific domain to another server?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

ADFHogan

Regular Contributor
I was wondering, is it possible to instruct the DNS server in the router to forward a specific domain's queries to a specific server?

I have one of the routers I look after (an RT-AC5300) set up to use OpenDNS as its upstream, with AiProtect enabled also.

Today, after quite some time (more than a year I'd guess), one of the computers started exhibiting login issues via RDP ("an authentication error has occurred" "the local security authority cannot be contacted"). I was unable to connect to the computer remotely unless I overrode NLA and then one of the domain user accounts would fail. I followed all of the diagnostics, then went to remove and re-add the affected computer from the domain. When I went to re-add it to the domain, it complained when I used the ".local" variant of the domain, complaining it couldn't resolve a particular DNS entry for the DC.

I was able to successfully re-pair the machine to the domain using the old single word version of the domain, and things are continuing, but I'm not sure this is going to be a long term solution, particularly if Windows 10 systems start exhibiting the same symptoms.

Is there a way to instruct the DNS service within the router to route all requests for a specific domain to a different DNS server other than the default.

Eg. Request for example.local zone forwarded to IP of DC instead of OpenDNS

It's a small office, with guests sharing their internet, but on a guest WiFi. Guest segment can't be isolated to internet only if internal DNS on non-guest segment in use, hence having router do DNS + DHCP.

People do it all the time in the Stubby thread to allow ntp.org to resolve via 1.1.1.1 before Stubby is functional.

Code:
server=/pool.ntp.org/1.1.1.1

@ColinTaylor yeah, unfortunately .local being reserved for mDNS came in as thing after the server in question was deployed, back when it was a Microsoft convention to use .local in small business scenarios (It's a Server 2012 Essentials (eww) instance which replaced their previous SBS 2003 (slightly less eww)). I'll definitely be using a domain within the business's explicit control when the server gets upgraded if they don't end up going "to the cloud" (remember those ads - almost as bad as the Windows 7 and Songsmith ads) by then.

Regarding adding to the dnsmasq config, is there a proper way to do this so the config changes aren't thumped by the UI/reboots?

I did a search for "stubby" and see /jffs/configs/dnsmasq.conf.add mentioned... This the one to create and add additional argument to? If so, how do I get it to apply after adding, or is this requiring another extension to apply?

Last edited: