What's new

Can using a bigger router max out the connection of lower-rated devices?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

ElShaddai Edwards

Occasional Visitor
I currently have an AC1750-based network made up of two Asus RT-AC66U routers (one primary, one in media bridge mode) and a Buffalo AirStation AC media bridge (1300+450). The media bridges have exclusive use of the 5 GHz band.

The AC66U media bridge (50', down an indirect hallway) typically connects at 585 or 702 Mbps, sometimes lower, while the Buffalo (25', LOS) usually connects 877 or 1170 Mbps. Router is set to 20/40/80, auto channel.

If I were to replace the primary AC66U with something "bigger", say a AC3100 that can broadcast up to 2100 Mbps at 5 GHz, should I expect to see an increase in the connection rate of my 1300 bridges? Obviously not over 1300, but would I get closer to maxing them out with the increase in transmitted signal or is there some realistic cap on what percentage of their potential they'll actually use?

I know this is mostly just chasing spec numbers and my connection speeds are fine "as is", but I'm curious...

Most likely not - might have a wee bit of improvement on the range as the newer AC1900+ class devices may have higher limits allowed by the FCC earlier this year, but the primary constraint is really physics based - propagation is what it is, and loss is part of the universe...

Most performance impact is not the router, but the client side - that being said, the Buffalo media box is a good performer, but you'll see better range, and throughput at a relative range in the higher channels...

I currently have an AC1750-based network made up of two Asus RT-AC66U routers (one primary, one in media bridge mode) and a Buffalo AirStation AC media bridge (1300+450). The media bridges have exclusive use of the 5 GHz band.

The AC66U media bridge (50', down an indirect hallway) typically connects at 585 or 702 Mbps, sometimes lower, while the Buffalo (25', LOS) usually connects 877 or 1170 Mbps. Router is set to 20/40/80, auto channel.

If I were to replace the primary AC66U with something "bigger", say a AC3100 that can broadcast up to 2100 Mbps at 5 GHz, should I expect to see an increase in the connection rate of my 1300 bridges? Obviously not over 1300, but would I get closer to maxing them out with the increase in transmitted signal or is there some realistic cap on what percentage of their potential they'll actually use?

I know this is mostly just chasing spec numbers and my connection speeds are fine "as is", but I'm curious...

Connection rate is not what I would be looking at improving in your network setup. Throughput and latency is what I would be concerned with. ;)

The RT-AC66U's are first gen AC class devices that have been greatly outclassed, imo, with the latest models like the RT-AC3100.

What is your actual throughput like? Why don't you test different channels to find the one best for your router/bridge and WiFi environment combination?

When you're actually transferring a very big file between two wired computers on each end of the router/bridge combo, do the connection speeds increase, decrease or stay the same?

Have you tried seeing what different locations of all devices do to the throughput rates (sometimes, it just takes a few inches or a few degrees of spin to make a huge difference in performance)?

Have you tried switching the Buffalo and Asus bridges? Is there any improvement (overall)?

You can always use a much bigger router. A desktop turned into a router by installing pfsense, intel server quad port NICs, PCIe wifi cards, it will have much more hardware resource to handle more clients.

when it comes to wifi bigger numbers dont mean a thing, it is really dependent on the client as well. Faster clients will always be slowed down by slower clients unless the faster clients and wifi AP both have MU-MIMO. One thing you could do is isolate slower clients than faster clients. Put the slower clients on a seperate radio/AP.

Just because wifi router may say 5.3Gb/s doesnt mean thats its actual performance, thats just the combined performance if you have 2 clients both with 4x4 wifi AC, and 1 client capable of broadcom's 1Gb/s 2.4Ghz wifi (impossible now due to overcrowding). The rates also vary too.

Your wifi is as fast as your slowest link. Its good to keep the AP the same level or a bit better than your best client but also configure your network too. 2.4Ghz is crowded so dont expect performance from there, only range and compatibility. with 5Ghz there arent many N clients so get your AC capable clients (or upgrade them to AC) to make full use.

Thanks, everyone. One of the AC66U units is still within my return window, so I'll probably send that back and try some different placement and channel options while I consider a more modern setup. Don't have an extra PC, so I'll have to think about how to measure throughput.

The two computers that are connected to the Buffalo bridge have N900 adapters. If I move the Buffalo to replace the returned AC66U and connect the adapters to the 5 GHz band, am I correct in assuming that would degrade what the Buffalo will get with AC?

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!