What's new

Cannot access asus router admin page but have full wired internet connection?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

dave14305 gets 2 gold stars! Why didn’t I think of that? If it had been a Windows device playing up, you’d reboot subconsciously as second nature.

If it’s become buggy the next question is when did you last carry out a reset to factory default settings and almost regardless of the answer, the advice would be to do one according to L&LD’s guide (other reputable guides are available)

https://www.snbforums.com/threads/n...l-and-manual-configuration.27115/#post-205573

It would be useful to have SSH enabled, even if for a specific IP on your network, so that if this happens again, you can just SSH to the router and enter:
Code:
service restart_httpd
instead of rebooting the router and disrupting your network.
Hello, when enabling SSH do i set it to LAN only or LAN + WAN?
Regards

dave14305 gets 2 gold stars! Why didn’t I think of that? If it had been a Windows device playing up, you’d reboot subconsciously as second nature.

If it’s become buggy the next question is when did you last carry out a reset to factory default settings and almost regardless of the answer, the advice would be to do one according to L&LD’s guide (other reputable guides are available)

https://www.snbforums.com/threads/n...l-and-manual-configuration.27115/#post-205573
Hello, i had to follow all of L&LD`s guide to the letter in order to get the router up and running when i upgraded to 384.10, which is why i have not entered or changed ANY settings since that day,apart from just rebooting now.I am reluctant to upgrade again because of all the problems i had last time, let sleeping dogs lie!
Regards

Last edited:
Hello, i had to follow all of L&LD`s guide to the letter in order to get the router up and running when i upgraded to 384.10, which is why i have not entered or changed ANY settings since that day,apart from just rebooting now.I am reluctant to upgrade again because of all the problems i had last time, let sleeping dogs lie!
Regards
In Post #10 I said you weren’t an idiot and clearly you've proved it by already being a user of the L&LD Guide. So it makes sense to let sleeping dogs lie. Nevertheless, if the buggy RT-AC86U turns round and bites your hand, as they seem a little prone to doing, next time you do indeed carry out an M&M reset, it might be worth anticipating the “random, unexplained glitches” and re-flashing, where L&LD advises:

Flash new firmware (and in some cases, re-flash the existing firmware if any random, unexplained glitches are still causing issues).”

Meanwhile, in slow time you can get up to speed on SSH and get a network scanning app for Android. Or better still, get an Apple device and install the Network Toolbox app ;)

Yes I’ve had this a couple of times my router also, the only thing I have seen is to reboot the modem

The modem rebooting would not fix this issue.

Regards
If you regularily update to the next stable version no M&M "torture" by L&LD or resetting is necessary.

Hi guys I do have Asus rt-ax88u and I am facing the same issue, where after some time I am not able to log it via Chrome or Android App, the way to fix this is by turning off and on the router, but then it happens again, did any1 find a permanent solution to this?

I have a RT-AC68U running stock Asus firmware 3.0.0.3.384_45713 and have never run any other firmware on this router either.
I get the exact same problem as temujin and my problem started a few months ago. Never had problems before.
Last time I had the problem I turned on SSH so I would be able to restart without going through the web UI. However when I tried today the router was inaccessible through http, https and ssh.

I also have this issue from time time, and the only fix is to restart the router manually. I can't access the admin page or input anything in SSH, I can log in but I get no response whatsoever with any command.

I also have this issue from time time, and the only fix is to restart the router manually. I can't access the admin page or input anything in SSH, I can log in but I get no response whatsoever with any command.

When did you start getting the problem? I've had my router 4 years now and its only in the last 6 months that its been inaccessible like this. I wonder if it is a bug that came with an firmware update form Asus

Probably your NVRAM is full, use last Merlin 384.14, he added NVRAM warning.
Memory leaks in older firmwares will cause it too.
Reboot frees some space, so it will work for some time.

Hi, I stumbled in here because of issues I've been experiencing with my router. I also have had an RT-AC68U router for many years now. When I bought it, I immediately put DDWRT on it to run YAMon3 usage monitoring. The FW works good, but I wanted to experiment with some of the features of the ASUS FW. So in the last few weeks I've installed ASUS-Merlin 384.13 FW and have had 2 major problems that is going to push me back to using DDWRT.

Issue 1# Router main page is unresponsive. In order to log in, I have to SSH to my router, reboot and try again with my browser. Very similar to the problems mentioned in this old thread.

Issue 2# YAMon3 doesn't measure data consumption accurately. I have plenty of screenshots to back up my arguments.

It's a great router, but the custom FW is the issue in my opinion.

Issue 2# YAMon3 doesn't measure data consumption accurately. I have plenty of screenshots to back up my arguments.
That's probably because your router is now using hardware acceleration. That bypasses the router's CPU so the traffic stats are not updated. It would not be an issue with DD-WRT because that firmware does not support hardware acceleration. If you disable hardware acceleration you should start to see the correct information.

So in the last few weeks I've installed ASUS-Merlin 384.13 FW and have had 2 major problems that is going to push me back to using DDWRT.

Issue 1# Router main page is unresponsive.

Follow guides on this forum to properly initialise and do another clean upgrade/flash of latest firmware. It’s surprising how often it works. My AC68U web GUI becomes very sluggish under old with authentication method HTTPS enabled. Consider using HTTP instead.

I remember the AC68U released many years ago. It’s an old router that was designed for an old legacy firmware. Its struggling more with every new release. Slower to boot. We’re still fortunate ASUS has supported it with regular firmware updates. Merlin patches bugs and vulnerabilities they miss. As an experiment roll back to the legacy stock firmware they shipped with and you’ll probably see it become snappy again.

That's probably because your router is now using hardware acceleration. That bypasses the router's CPU so the traffic stats are not updated. It would not be an issue with DD-WRT because that firmware does not support hardware acceleration. If you disable hardware acceleration you should start to see the correct information.

Hey Colin, I was skeptical of your suggestion, but I did try disabling hardware acceleration a few hours ago and I do see an improvement. Here is my monthly data and clearly you can see where I upgraded the FW to Merlin on Dec. 11th. If you look to Dec. 27th there is a little blip that is starting to show promise.

upload_2019-12-27_19-2-58.png

The hourly report shows a better picture of the improvement. I disabled HA acceleration at 3:30pm after your suggestion, but the traffic doesn't seem to start calculating till 5pm.

upload_2019-12-27_19-5-20.png

Either way, you're a genius!

So, my apologies to everyone for hijacking this thread for a different topic. Sometime us newbies get a little excited when something actually works.

It would be useful to have SSH enabled, even if for a specific IP on your network, so that if this happens again, you can just SSH to the router and enter:
Code:
service restart_httpd
instead of rebooting the router and disrupting your network.
confirm this is working. Thanks