What's new

Cannot flash Merlin on RT-AX56U V2

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

stevie8

New Around Here
Hi, I have been trying to flash merlin to my ASUS RT-AX56U V2.

I've tried rebooting, unplugging, restoring to factory defaults. It doesn't accept the flash.

Is this because it's a V2 variant? I reckon this one is a special one made for China and maybe it's blocking Merlin? Or maybe merlin does not support this V2 model?

Trying to figure out how to solve. Or maybe cut my losses and get a new router (seems like I bought the wrong one?)

I just wanted a router that supports Astill VPN.

Appreciate any insights.

I've tried rebooting, unplugging, restoring to factory defaults. It doesn't accept the flash.

Is this because it's a V2 variant? I reckon this one is a special one made for China and maybe it's blocking Merlin? Or maybe merlin does not support this V2 model?

Trying to figure out how to solve. Or maybe cut my losses and get a new router (seems like I bought the wrong one?)

I just wanted a router that supports Astill VPN.

Appreciate any insights.

The flash chip is different so that may be your problem.

RT-AX55U WIKI

RT-AX56u-V2 WIKI

and the region is queried as "China only" ??

The"RT-AX56U V2" is actually the "AX55U".

Currently, to my knowledge, there are no merlin CFM stable releases yet!
However, there are betas! The beta will give you AI-mesh 2.0 and other tweaks but as said it's only beta.
I've been using it for my Ai-mesh node and it's been fine.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Update 2020/12/31 (9.0.0.4.386.41535)
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1WHWo9UDIiauiQ5e-T0Ojmhld1Qnw6S_G?usp=sharing

This version includes
ZenWiFi XT8, XD4, CT8
GT series: GT-AX11000, GT-AC5300, GT-AC2900
RT series: RT-AX88U, RT-AX92U, RT-AX86U, RT-AX82U, RT-AX58U, TUF-AX3000, RT-AX56U, RT-AX55
RT series: RT-AC5300, RT-AC88U, RT-AC3100, RT-AC86U, RT-AC68U

Due to compile problem, not in this version
ZenWiFi CD6, Lyra, Lyra mini, Lyra trio
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Reference:

Hi everyone,

When I bought my Asus rt-ax56u I was very suprised to find out that it actually is a "rt-ax56u v2".
Screenshot 2021-08-22 at 12.22.40.png

Unfortunatly I am not able to install merlin.
I already tried multiple attempts installing over cable, then with wifi, did factory resets and tried older versions of merlin firmware as well. I searched the web for solutions but except this thread there is nothing. My current firmware is "3.0.0.4.386_43597".

Does anyone have an idea what the problem could be? Is it possible that the merlin firmware is not compatible with "rt-ax56u v2"?

Last edited:
Look at the posts above yours.
The v2 appears to be different (a China specific variant) so it does not work with the fork.
The post directly above yours gives a possible work around but it wont be a Merlin supported fork from what I can see.

Thank you slidermike for the quick reply! Yes, The post above doesn't seem to be Merlin supported but I need Merlin. Is it possible to know if there will be v2 support in the future?

I would not count on it. Only Merlin knows what his plans are but I don't recall hearing him post that he would be adding that model.
Good luck!

Is this because it's a V2 variant? I reckon this one is a special o
Hi everyone,

When I bought my Asus rt-ax56u I was very suprised to find out that it actually is a "rt-ax56u v2".
View attachment 35899
Unfortunatly I am not able to install merlin.
I already tried multiple attempts installing over cable, then with wifi, did factory resets and tried older versions of merlin firmware as well. I searched the web for solutions but except this thread there is nothing. My current firmware is "3.0.0.4.386_43597".

Does anyone have an idea what the problem could be? Is it possible that the merlin firmware is not compatible with "rt-ax56u v2"?

ne made for China and maybe it's blocking Merlin? Or maybe merlin does not support this V2 model?

(posting to help future people searching for this)

I'm also in China looking for the same thing.

--> Correct, the V2 is can NOT have Merlin installed on it.

You need to buy the ASUS RT0AX56U V1. I found it on Taobao for ¥448.

The body looks different:

Screen Shot 2021-10-04 at 10.36.58 AM.png