What's new

Cannot Update Signatures or Run Firmware Update Check

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Parallax Abstraction

Occasional Visitor
Hey all. I swear I posted a thread about this issue before but can't find it so I'm posting a new one.

I have an RT-AC3200 and have been running Merlin on it since day one. Recently however, it's suddenly lost the ability to upgrade the security signatures and run the new firmware check. You can see the results of when I try in the attached image. The signatures last updated at the end of November last year and just stopped after that.

I'm using 1.1.1.1 as my DNS server but have also tried my ISP's. No other site fails to work. After upgrading to 384.13_8 without success, I also backed up my settings, factory reset the router and uploaded the backup. Same result. If I start a signature update check, this is all that shows in the log:

Apr 30 00:17:10 rc_service: httpds 281:notify_rc start_sig_check
Apr 30 00:17:13 BWDPI: fun bitmap = 7f

Running a firmware check just shows this:

Apr 30 00:17:59 rc_service: httpds 281:notify_rc start_webs_update

Does anyone have any potential insights? Thanks so much!

Attachments

• Annotation 2020-04-30 001420.png
    Annotation 2020-04-30 001420.png
    81.8 KB · Views: 258
When is the last time you did a full reset on the router (I'd suspect November last year, as a guess)?

What scripts (amtm or not) and other features are you running beyond defaults? :)

I am running no custom scripts whatsoever.

Honestsly, I don't remember when I last did a full reset of the router but I don't believe it was done around the time this stopped working. I can backup the settings and do a temporary factory reset if people think that might work but I'm really not thrilled at the prospect of configuring it from scratch again (especially the VPN) to have it randomly bug out again.

I just wanted to see if there were any other suggestions or ways to knock this back into working without resetting everything.

Resets won't make any difference at all , the issue with AiProtection updates has been around for a long time, it either works or not.

I had the AC3200 and couldn't get the signature updates to work for at least 8 months , then it suddenly decided to work again, you'll find many posts on the same subject from the last 5 years.

Personally I have turned AiProtection off , Quad9 DNS , antivirus and inbuilt browser protection is more than enough filtering for my use.

Resets won't make any difference at all , the issue with AiProtection updates has been around for a long time, it either works or not.

I had the AC3200 and couldn't get the signature updates to work for at least 8 months , then it suddenly decided to work again, you'll find many posts on the same subject from the last 5 years.

Personally I have turned AiProtection off , Quad9 DNS , antivirus and inbuilt browser protection is more than enough filtering for my use.
For sure, but those updates also applies for QoS to identify the apps.