What's new

Can't access router settings through vpn

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

jsn2233

Occasional Visitor
Just for context, guys, I am absolutely new to routers and how they work and the settings etc. I have a programming background but this is totally new to me. I want my ps4 connected to an american server so I can access american streaming for netflix and my phones and laptops to run through a server in the UK.

I am using a RT-AC86U with the latest merlin firmware with NordVPN. The first thing I did was setup three OpenVPN clients with the DNS config set to "Exclusive" and "VPN Director policy rules". This is so I can then create rules in the VPN Director for all my devices.

Everything was working perfectly until I realized I could no longer access my router settings through router.asus.com nor through the IP address. What was worse is the only way to turn the VPN off for all devices was to access the router settings. So I had to hard reset and start over. Very frustrating for me. I notice even without adding VPN clients to the router directly, even if I connect through my NordVPN desktop app I can no longer access the router settings.

I have read that I need to add a "WAN exception" for the router? Something like "0.0.0.0" but I have no idea how to do that.

Please help. Thanks

You shouldn't need to create an exception to access the router, that should always be accessible via its IP address. However, using Exclusive DNS will mean that router.asus.com won't work, so don't even bother trying.

I suggest you start off simple and create only one VPN client for the US. Use policy rules to direct the PS4 through it and let everything else go out the WAN. Confirm that works before moving on.

One thing I would add, in the NordVPN guides they tell you to change the WAN DNS servers to their own. Don't do this. Leave them as you would normally have them.

Good Luck.

You shouldn't need to create an exception to access the router, that should always be accessible via its IP address. However, using Exclusive DNS will mean that router.asus.com won't work, so don't even bother trying.

I suggest you start off simple and create only one VPN client for the US. Use policy rules to direct the PS4 through it and let everything else go out the WAN. Confirm that works before moving on.

One thing I would add, in the NordVPN guides they tell you to change the WAN DNS servers to their own. Don't do this. Leave them as you would normally have them.

Good Luck.
Thanks for your response Colin. Why can't I add multiple OpenVPN clients and distinguish which devices connect to them? All the devices were connected to the VPN, the only issue was the connection to router.asus.com.. surely there's some way to do this?

What do you mean by everything else go out the WAN? Do you mean all the other devices not connected to the VPN, only the PS4?

When I create the client for the US what config setting do I use, exclusive again?

So don't change the WAN DNS servers? Could you explain why please?

Thanks for your response Colin. Why can't I add multiple OpenVPN clients and distinguish which devices connect to them? All the devices were connected to the VPN, the only issue was the connection to router.asus.com.. surely there's some way to do this?
I think I was misunderstanding your problem. You seem to have gotten to a point where you couldn't log into the GUI even using its IP address. I was only suggesting that you start again one step at a time to try and identify at what stage that problem occurs. "router.asus.com" is a special address that only exists in your router's DNS server. If a client is using NordVPN's DNS servers it will not know about this address, therefore it will not work. Just use the IP address of your router instead.

What do you mean by everything else go out the WAN? Do you mean all the other devices not connected to the VPN, only the PS4?
Yes. It's just for testing purposes.

When I create the client for the US what config setting do I use, exclusive again?
Yes.

So don't change the WAN DNS servers? Could you explain why please?
The router uses these DNS servers for it's own purposes (like setting the time). So whatever DNS servers you set there must always be available to it. I have found that using NordVPN's public facing DNS servers there is unreliable and can sometimes cause problems. If you want your clients to use NordVPN's servers you set that in the VPN client settings. There's no good reason to set them in the WAN settings.

I think I was misunderstanding your problem. You seem to have gotten to a point where you couldn't log into the GUI even using its IP address. I was only suggesting that you start again one step at a time to try and identify at what stage that problem occurs. "router.asus.com" is a special address that only exists in your router's DNS server. If a client is using NordVPN's DNS servers it will not know about this address, therefore it will not work. Just use the IP address of your router instead.
I don't know why but I can't access the router settings with the IP address at all. It just always says the page can't be loaded. I have to use the special address.
The router uses these DNS servers for it's own purposes (like setting the time). So whatever DNS servers you set there must always be available to it. I have found that using NordVPN's public facing DNS servers there is unreliable and can sometimes cause problems. If you want your clients to use NordVPN's servers you set that in the VPN client settings. There's no good reason to set them in the WAN settings.
Awesome, it works without the Nord DNS servers. Thanks for that.

My next question is, what does WAN do, when setting rules? Does it basically default every other device to a specified VPN server? Here:

1668907618114.png

I have decided to specify a vpn for only my PS4. Every other device on my network I would like to connect to a UK server but I would like to exclude my laptop (in order to always be able to access my router settings). How can I make a rule to include every device that connects to my router besides my laptop?

I hope that makes sense.

I don't know why but I can't access the router settings with the IP address at all. It just always says the page can't be loaded. I have to use the special address.
Go to the command prompt on your PC and enter the following command:
Code:
nslookup router.asus.com
Post a screenshot of what you get.

Go to the command prompt on your PC and enter the following command:
Code:
nslookup router.asus.com
Post a screenshot of what you get.
1668908838997.png

1668908854756.png

No idea why this is happening, the VPN is off and I have tried to access the address through browsers with extensions and totally naked.