What's new

Can't Access USB Drive on AiMesh Node

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

ATLJC

New Around Here
I have an RT-AC86U serving as my main router, an RT-AC68U setup as it's AiMesh Node and an external drive connected via USB to that node. My MacBook shows the RT-AC68U in the network along with all its folders, but I can't get past the login screen to connect to the drive as a Registered User.

Trying to sign in as a guest only gives me an error message that the item cannot be found. After unsuccessfully fiddling with settings on the RT-AC86U, I'm at a loss on how to access the drive connected to the RT-AC68U via my computer. I don't/can't want to run the drive from the RT-AC86U, so any advice on how I can get into the drive as it is set up now would be appreciated.

If it’s possible you will have to SSH to it and manually update the NVRAM variable to allow access to the drive, however they will likely be lost after a reboot as the master router may override them.
It’s specifically designed to not allow web access as a node, all management is supposed to be done on the master router and the nodes not do anything but provide Wi-fi.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

you would have to setup as AP and not mesh, than you can access the drive on node, just a design limitation with Aimesh like many others too (no channel management, no guest WiFi, no USB access).

I have a hard drive on my AiMesh node and it is accessible from the PCs on my network. To do this I turned On "Enable Share" and "Allow guest login" on my parent AiMesh router. I know: "By enabling [ Allow guest login ], any user in local network can access your network place(Samba) without authentication!", but there's nothing sensitive on the drive and it is not accessible over the internet.

If I turn Off "Allow guest login" I can't get past the password login when I access the shared node on Windows. I tried all the logins I have ever configured on the routed and PC. I suppose if I knew enough on how Samba is configured internally on the node, I could find what login it likes. But, like I said, I'm not too concerned about the Samba security on my LAN.

Note: the only problem is that I can not create folders or paste files in the root directory of the drive. So I create several working directories by directly connecting the HD to my PC. So not a big deal.

Last edited:
I have a hard drive on my AiMesh node and it is accessible from the PCs on my network. To do this I turned On "Enable Share" and "Allow guest login" on my parent AiMesh router. I know: "By enabling [ Allow guest login ], any user in local network can access your network place(Samba) without authentication!", but there's nothing sensitive on the drive and it is not accessible over the internet.

If I turn Off "Allow guest login" I can't get past the password login when I access the shared node on Windows. I tried all the logins I have ever configured on the routed and PC. I suppose if I knew enough on how Samba is configured internally on the node, I could find what login it likes. But, like I said, I'm not too concerned about the Samba security on my LAN.

Note: the only problem is that I can not create folders or paste files in the root directory of the drive. So I create a working directory by directly connecting the HD to my PC. So not a big deal.

Have you tried defining your router admin credentials to be the same as your Windows user credentials?

OE

Have you tried defining your router admin credentials to be the same as your Windows user credentials?

OE
They already are the same. However, I haven't tried this while I was logged-in to the computer's admin account. I only tried it while logged-in as myself.

As I said, it isn't a big deal for me. Maybe others can try it.

AiMesh node reset back to factory default before connect to primary router, so user/pass be default admin/admin

I know this is an old thread, but one can NOT access the node by trying to directly access it's IP from a browser.

Access to the nodes USB config is "hidden" in the AiMesh menu, not under the USB application as one may expect.
AiMesh => Select the Node => Management => USB Application
It's not a straight menu path, it's icons in various place on the page.

See this post on basically the same issue.