What's new

Can't connect RT-AX92U as AiMesh node to RT-AX88U network any more

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Istvanwagon

Occasional Visitor
Hi,

My RT AX-88U had been working fine to create a network with two RT-AX92U as access points (one Wi-Fi, one wired backhaul) for nearly 2 years. I noticed about 2 months ago that the WiFi access point would initially connect as AiMesh but then not take any clients and go off-line. I tried factory resetting this node and re-adding as AiMesh multiple times without success (both 1) setting up as WiFi and 2) setting up as wired to get it established, then removing the cable and placing it where it had been wirelessly). Then, I tried binding clients that were permanently close in distance to the AP, but they could not sustain the AP from going off-line and connected elsewhere. Then I nuked the entire network (including the RT-AX88U) back to factory resets and re-established the AiMesh node. Still not having success, I lastly swapped the AX-92Us so that the one which had been wireless is now wired and vice-versa. Interestingly, the now-wired (previously wireless) AX-92U client is still off-line, so this AP seems to be the particular problem. I have attached the current syslog and network map to this thread; see my footer for current configuration.

Based on this, I have a few questions:

1). I have seen some posts about AiMesh not fully working with recent versions of AsusWRT-Merlin. Is this a known bug which is being investigated?
2). I noted that WPS needs to be on when the AiMesh network is set up. But I also see from the AiProtection tab, that this is a security risk. To maximize security, I have turned off the WPS after having initially adding the RT-AX92U. Is this an acceptable setting?
3). Is there a way to forcibly wake up the AX-92U so it does not go off-line?
4). Is it possible that the AX-92U in question has gone bad, and if so, what could be the problem? Is it repairable?

Thanks...

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-12-28 at 8.49.37 AM.pdf
    112.6 KB · Views: 92
  • EditedPNGError Log 2021-12-28 at 8.58.54 AM.png
    EditedPNGError Log 2021-12-28 at 8.58.54 AM.png
    496.2 KB · Views: 101

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!