What's new

can't Enable 2nd guest network

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

thobux

Occasional Visitor
I created a second one with credentials and everything. Now, after removing it. I can't Enable ist. I can do this however with Guest #1 ans Guest #3. Is there a way to reset Guest #2

Thank

I created a second one with credentials and everything. Now, after removing it. I can't Enable ist. I can do this however with Guest #1 ans Guest #3. Is there a way to reset Guest #2

Thank

I think I had this recently and the solution was so trivial I can’t remember what it was! Did you try rebooting the router? Did you try closing the webui and re-opening it?

I think I had this recently and the solution was so trivial I can’t remember what it was! Did you try rebooting the router? Did you try closing the webui and re-opening it?
yeah I even restored from an older setttings file - to no avail

yeah I even restored from an older setttings file - to no avail
When you say “an older settings file”, would this be from an older firmware version? I don’t think that’s a good idea, and the further away the firmware versions are, the more it shifts from “not a good idea” into quite a bad idea. Did you make a settings backup before you tried the “older settings file” so you could revert to where you were?

What’s your current firmware version and what was the version that older settings file came from?

(Are you prepared for a reset to factory default settings followed by a manual insertion of your custom settings?)

When you say “an older settings file”, would this be from an older firmware version? I don’t think that’s a good idea, and the further away the firmware versions are, the more it shifts from “not a good idea” into quite a bad idea. Did you make a settings backup before you tried the “older settings file” so you could revert to where you were?

What’s your current firmware version and what was the version that older settings file came from?

(Are you prepared for a reset to factory default settings followed by a manual insertion of your custom settings?)
I'm on 384.9 and the settings file was from not long ago, from Tuesday actually ;-)

manual insertion? how would that work?

I'm on 384.9 and the settings file was from not long ago, from Tuesday actually ;-)

manual insertion? how would that work?

Just means by hand, as in manual labour (ie hard work), as opposed to importing a file of backed up settings, which would negate the “cleansing action” of the reset to factory default settings.

(You weren’t on 376.48 last Tuesday? ;). )

Hahah, no on latest. Maybe I do the manual thingy, or I gonna wait for a miracle…
Or maybe I’ll try and recreate what I did in the hope that’ll jog my memory, but, to be frank, I think in my case, it was so trivial that you would have cracked it by now had it been the same glitch.

Is it one of these which enable it?
Code:
#  nvram getall | grep "_bss_enabled=" | sort
size: 65824 bytes (65248 left)
wl0.1_bss_enabled=1
wl0.2_bss_enabled=0
wl0.3_bss_enabled=0
wl0_bss_enabled=1
wl1.1_bss_enabled=0
wl1.2_bss_enabled=0
wl1.3_bss_enabled=0
wl1_bss_enabled=1
wl_bss_enabled=1
For example, I would guess that the second guest WiFi on 2.4 GHz would be wl0.2 and the third guest WiFi on 5 GHz would be wl1.3

Or maybe I’ll try and recreate what I did in the hope that’ll jog my memory, but, to be frank, I think in my case, it was so trivial that you would have cracked it by now had it been the same glitch.
I did set up the router anew. Now I got the guest networks working. A few other kinks instead. I can't get the file manager to work properly for uploading different icons. And on the CLI I get kicked out after 10 secs idling. (Timeout)

Last edited:
I did set up the router anew. Now I got the guest networks working. A few other kinks instead. I can't get the file manager to work properly for uploading different icons. And on the CLI I get kicked out after 10 secs idling. (Timeout)
The CLI: this is when you connect via SSH using, say, Putty? Does the system log, or the Putty log (you have to set up logging in Putty) give any indication as to the cause?

I’m sorry that, having taken the trouble to reset to factory default settings, you’ve hit a couple of glitches, especially the SSH one, which is particularly inconvenient. Do you have a second device you can use to connect to the CLI, perhaps by ethernet rather than wifi, to help troubleshoot the cause?

I don’t want to insult you, but you did manually insert your custom settings after the reset and not restore them from your backed-up settings file?

Last edited:
The CLI: this is when you connect via SSH using, say, Putty? Does the system log, or the Putty log (you have to set up logging in Putty) give any indication as to the cause?

I’m sorry that, having taken the trouble to reset to factory default settings, you’ve hit a couple of glitches, especially the SSH one, which is particularly inconvenient. Do you have a second device you can use to connect to the CLI, perhaps by ethernet rather than wifi, to help troubleshoot the cause?
Hmm, I connect via Ubuntu, getting just a kernel: drop and server not responding. Had no issues before

Hmm, I connect via Ubuntu, getting just a kernel: drop and server not responding. Had no issues before
You’re way outside my comfort zone now. I don’t understand how you are connecting, but can you download the Linux version of Putty into Ubuntu and SSH in to get the CLI? You’ll have to make sure in the Admin section of the webui that username and password access via SSH is enabled.

HI, Ubuntu/Linux comes out of the box with a CLI - I use Terminator. I log in via SSH with my private key, the public one is entered into the respective field in the GUI, as I always did. Timeout is set to 20 minutes but even disabling it doesn't make a difference. I seems to be something else. Maybe I should create another thread for this it's really annoying to be cut off after 5 secs (I counted it).
There is one thing I noted: for FTP_ALG (WAN settings) there's port 2021 and I can't disable it. This was not in use with my old settings.

Last edited: