What's new

can't find AiMesh node AC68U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

naper82

Occasional Visitor
I am trying to set up AiMesh using two RT-AC68U. Both of them are running 384.17.

The router has been running smoothly on 384.17 for sometime. No issue found.
The node has just upgraded to 384.17, and did reset to default.
Both routers are within 1 feet.

But the router can't find the node. Tried multiple times via web also via iPhone app.

What else I can try?

After you do the reset are you 'touching' the router you want to use as a node? You shouldn't be.

Do a WPS reset including a GUI reset with 'Initialize all settings' checked and also formatting the JFFS partition too on next boot (make sure to hit 'Apply' at the bottom of the page and then reboot the router at least twice in 10 minutes too).

Are you using a backup config file to configure it? Don't. :)

I recently turned my 68U into an AiMesh node, after it had been sat in its box for a few years. First I reset it via its reset button, then updated it to 384.17 via the admin pages, then reset it again via the reset button and left it alone. It took two attempts for my 86U to find it.

After you do the reset are you 'touching' the router you want to use as a node? You shouldn't be.

Do a WPS reset including a GUI reset with 'Initialize all settings' checked and also formatting the JFFS partition too on next boot (make sure to hit 'Apply' at the bottom of the page and then reboot the router at least twice in 10 minutes too).

Are you using a backup config file to configure it? Don't. :)

No I didn't touch the node at all, pressed reset and let it boot until I saw power/wifi LED are on. Not even try to connect to the node via ethernet/wifi.

I will try your suggestions.

check format jffs for next reboot, apply
check 'initialze all the settings', click restore
wait to complete
wps button reset:
turn off
press and hold wps
turn on
release wps after power led flashes

no luck, did wps reset again, still no luck.

what else can I try? Both routers are running fine as a router itself.

is it better just run AP or repeater mode? (I can use wire connection between two routers).

I have an RT-AC88U as my router and a RT-AC68U as my node and finding the node took 10+ attempts and a lot of colorful words, on Merlin firmware. I read somewhere on the forums here that having the node on Asus stock firmware was better, so I did it and the router found the node on the first attempt. Router is on Merlin 384.17 and the node on the latest Asus firmware and no issues going on three days now. Good luck, I feel your pain.

I have an RT-AC88U as my router and a RT-AC68U as my node and finding the node took 10+ attempts and a lot of colorful words, on Merlin firmware. I read somewhere on the forums here that having the node on Asus stock firmware was better, so I did it and the router found the node on the first attempt. Router is on Merlin 384.17 and the node on the latest Asus firmware and no issues going on three days now. Good luck, I feel your pain.

Thanks! I may try your suggestion. Is this the stock firmware?
https://www.asus.com/Networking/RTAC68U/HelpDesk_BIOS/
I can update it over web ui, right?
Switch between Merlin and stock should be safe? or need some special steps?

Last edited:
Thanks! I may try your suggestion. Is this the stock firmware?
https://www.asus.com/Networking/RTAC68U/HelpDesk_BIOS/
I can update it over web ui, right?
Switch between Merlin and stock should be safe? or need some special steps?

Yes, that is the link that I used. I flashed it over 384.17 then did the factory reset as other noted above and then connected without any issues. Rock solid since.
For reference, this is the version.
upload_2020-6-3_7-29-38.png

Tried all methods suggested and I can find in the forum:

stock firmware, both wireless and wired connection
merlin firmware, both wireless and wired connection
reset by UI/reset button/WPS button

none of worked, always cannot find the node :mad::mad::mad:

Are these both official Asus RT-AC68U's?

Are you using a saved backup config file?

What happens when you switch the routers and use the other as the main router and the node then?

Are these both official Asus RT-AC68U's?

Are you using a saved backup config file?

What happens when you switch the routers and use the other as the main router and the node then?

No

not using any backup config, since there is no need to config node at all.

I am hesitate to do anything on my main router as this time since internet access is crucial for the whole family :p

Last edited:
sorry I replied in the previous post, just realized it was missing a line break, edited.

Last edited:
With a non-official RT-AC68U (or two), you'll probably never get this to work with current or future firmware.

Asus has been taking steps to stop the illegal use of their proprietary software on non-Asus hardware for a while now.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!