What's new

Can't format JFFS partition =(

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

zidler

Occasional Visitor
Hello,
I am trying to enable the jffs partition on my RT-AC56U using Administration menu. No luck =(

I think the most interesting part of my log is this
Code:
start jffs2: 4, 65798144
/ # nand_erase_nand: attempt to erase a bad block at page 0x000092c0
brcmnand: Input/output error

What options do I have? Thx in advance!

Since you are using an AC56U, as a last resort, you might try loading my 374 LTS fork. It's an older code base and handles the jffs partition slightly different from the current code. Load via the ASUS Firmware Recovery Tool then factory reset before trying to format jffs. Reboot twice after selecting to do the format.

Since you are using an AC56U, as a last resort, you might try loading my 374 LTS fork. It's an older code base and handles the jffs partition slightly different from the current code. Load via the ASUS Firmware Recovery Tool then factory reset before trying to format jffs. Reboot twice after selecting to do the format.

At some point - the vendors should be seriously consider eMMC vs. direct NAND, then JFFS would never be a problem ;)

At some point - the vendors should be seriously consider eMMC vs. direct NAND, then JFFS would never be a problem ;)

eMMC would be alright, but an actual ssd would be better.

eMMC, SSD... Aren't high-end routers expensive enough already?

eMMC, SSD... Aren't high-end routers expensive enough already?

eMMC adds about 3 bucks in volume for a 4GB chip compared to regular 256MB NAND...

Screen Shot 2016-11-21 at 12.24.28 PM.png

Does that include the memory controller for it, and all the other external circuit?

Remove the discrete NAND, and put an eMMC, and like I said, it's about 3 bucks, perhaps less... as eMMC is on the right side of the pricing/supply curve, and the old school NAND is on the downside, esp as FAB's are moving in that direction... moving from SLC NAND to MLC/TLC and 3D-VNAND technology - at some point, producing old-school NAND will not be profitable...

It's not that much of a cost adder, as MMC is similar to SDIO - the eMMC is self-hosting with it's own controller, so it's a matter of running the lines out to the single eMMC chip, and enabling the driver in the OS...

In any event, discrete NAND chips, both for expansion via JFFS, and real-time (where that address block must be mirrored into RAM) is 2005 technology in applications built around the Broadcom SDK, which I'm reasonably certain that we can both agree is getting long in tooth - being based largely on the Linksys WRT54G GPL drops from even before (and OPKG being based on Unslung which goes back to... NSLU2...)

Think about the advantages of eMMS and a real file system - one can do OverlayFS (or AUFS if one wants to be really bold) - this offers the opportunity to do targeted fixes without having to rebuild the entire flash image - and this is huge considering the security risks that we're facing these days - just fix the lib or application in place... Entware/Optware is kinda there already, but this is an add-on, can you imagine the benefits here for both off-the-shelf and carrier provided equipment?

I can...

Still Broken... Nobody knows how to fix it or a miracle?

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk

Take a look at this patch to mdt.c from OpenWRT-Devel - it's been around for about 3 years, so good chance that might have been picked up already by either Broadcom directly, or perhaps Asus has looked at it...

https://lists.openwrt.org/pipermail/openwrt-devel/2013-December/022744.html

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!