What's new

Can't Update Apps on Google Play Store over Wifi

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

MarioX

Occasional Visitor
I've looked everywhere online and can't seem to find the answer for this problem. Recently my Google Play Store stopped updating apps over wifi. It just stays in pending status. Tried it on 3 phones; cleared cache, reset, etc on one phone, no luck. Switch to mobile data and it works fine. I haven't updated firmware in awhile. Any settings within router I can check? Or is this maybe an ISP related problem?

I've looked everywhere online and can't seem to find the answer for this problem. Recently my Google Play Store stopped updating apps over wifi. It just stays in pending status. Tried it on 3 phones; cleared cache, reset, etc on one phone, no luck. Switch to mobile data and it works fine. I haven't updated firmware in awhile. Any settings within router I can check? Or is this maybe an ISP related problem?
Do you run any scripts like Diversion?

Or ad-blocking DNS service like AdGuard?
What firmware is the router running at the moment?

I would stay on 386.5_2 until 388 code firmware bugs are cleared out. I had no good experience testing 388.1 on AX86U.

When you ask for help describe better your configuration otherwise no one will be able to help you. This is a guessing game.

Who is your isp? This is a known problem on a few networks.

Have you tested switching your dns to Google's? I get sporadic dns issues if I use my ISP's default one.

Have you tested switching your dns to Google's? I get sporadic dns issues if I use my ISP's default one.
I changed to Google DNS and also tried OpenDNS. No luck. Apps stay in pending status while trying to update. I contacted ISP and they said they are not seeing any issues and it's likely a problem with my modem

@MarioX
So, google apps tend to use *.gvt1.com gvt2.com gvt3.com.

1670601445843.png

If somehow you're blocking those TLD's then they won't work. The private DNS I mentioned before should be using google to bypass anything locally but, this really doesn't make much sense why you can't update. I would see if you can trace / ping gvt1.com and depending on what you see helps determine where the issue is.

@MarioX
So, google apps tend to use *.gvt1.com gvt2.com gvt3.com.

View attachment 46154

If somehow you're blocking those TLD's then they won't work. The private DNS I mentioned before should be using google to bypass anything locally but, this really doesn't make much sense why you can't update. I would see if you can trace / ping gvt1.com and depending on what you see helps determine where the issue is.

When I ping gvt1.com, I get:. Ping request could not find host gvt1.com. Please check the name and try again.

I also see that on the Instagram app, images don't load on wifi, but they work fine as soon as I switch to mobile data.

Sounds like you have some DNS filtering going on. I specifically block stuff with pihole but, if you're not running any weird DNS servers on the router you're using it should be wide open and working.

ping edgedl.me.gvt1.com

Pinging edgedl.me.gvt1.com [34.104.35.123] with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 34.104.35.123: bytes=32 time=117ms TTL=116
Reply from 34.104.35.123: bytes=32 time=65ms TTL=116
Reply from 34.104.35.123: bytes=32 time=178ms TTL=116
Reply from 34.104.35.123: bytes=32 time=91ms TTL=116

I get the same error when just doing gvt1.com but using one of the FQDN's it works.

I would default the router to purge any weird configurations and then try it with a blank slate and if it's still not working it might be in Android. The chances of that though across 3 devices is slim though. There should be a common denominator causing the issue. Providing more info such as ISP / router / anything else might provide a clue as to what's blocking the app updates and IG issue.

Sounds like you have some DNS filtering going on. I specifically block stuff with pihole but, if you're not running any weird DNS servers on the router you're using it should be wide open and working.

ping edgedl.me.gvt1.com

Pinging edgedl.me.gvt1.com [34.104.35.123] with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 34.104.35.123: bytes=32 time=117ms TTL=116
Reply from 34.104.35.123: bytes=32 time=65ms TTL=116
Reply from 34.104.35.123: bytes=32 time=178ms TTL=116
Reply from 34.104.35.123: bytes=32 time=91ms TTL=116

I get the same error when just doing gvt1.com but using one of the FQDN's it works.

I would default the router to purge any weird configurations and then try it with a blank slate and if it's still not working it might be in Android. The chances of that though across 3 devices is slim though. There should be a common denominator causing the issue. Providing more info such as ISP / router / anything else might provide a clue as to what's blocking the app updates and IG issue.

Thanks Tech Junky for the info. I can ping ping edgedl.me.gvt1.com without any issues. I am using Breezeline ISP with ARRIS SB8200 modem and Asus RT-AX86U wireless router.

I will try setting up a guest network to see it behaves on there. Also, I have IPv6 disabled. I'll try by turning that on as well. I have a feeling it's something on the ISP side since things were fine until they had an outage a few weeks ago.

Well the sb8200 is just a bridge to the ISP with no routing. I would default the Asus completely and try with just a basic WiFi connection without configuring anything else. The main suspect would be the apps running on the Asus. Aiprotection being the main suspect. If you're running any add ONS disable them for testing.

Just throwing an update here that the issue was resolved. Problem was on the ISP side. Here's a link to that thread and resolution:

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!