What's new

Cat 6A or better capable?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

compression
OTA 1080 1 hour usually ~6GB and then I convert it to MP4 to cut it by 80% in size while retaining the 5.1 audio. While the tuner is pulling the RF into packets though it's only using ~10-15mbps / stream / channel. The tuner box has a 100mbps port on it for 4 tuners to use. So, really the only need for 10GE or even 1GE is DL's of big data like a game or OS.

A to the no box provider packages... that's usually handled by retention. When I chopped CC video they kept wanting to send a streamer box. HSI only gets rid of all of those fees but, FWA gets rid of the tether all together. And w/ a power bank as a UPS to the FWA means things keep running and are portable. Keeps the data plan costs down on the phone and more relevant use than smorgasbord unlimited plans. Though there have been some shifts there as well more recently on MVNO plans ~$30 or less for ~40GB of data until it gets throttled down.

Now, weren't we supposed to be talking about 10GE and ATT ?

OTA 1080 1 hour usually ~6GB and then I convert it to MP4 to cut it by 80% in size while retaining the 5.1 audio. While the tuner is pulling the RF into packets though it's only using ~10-15mbps / stream / channel. The tuner box has a 100mbps port on it for 4 tuners to use. So, really the only need for 10GE or even 1GE is DL's of big data like a game or OS.

A to the no box provider packages... that's usually handled by retention. When I chopped CC video they kept wanting to send a streamer box. HSI only gets rid of all of those fees but, FWA gets rid of the tether all together. And w/ a power bank as a UPS to the FWA means things keep running and are portable. Keeps the data plan costs down on the phone and more relevant use than smorgasbord unlimited plans. Though there have been some shifts there as well more recently on MVNO plans ~$30 or less for ~40GB of data until it gets throttled down.

Now, weren't we supposed to be talking about 10GE and ATT ?

Nah that topic got boring.

Yes OTA 1080i has much better quality than Comcast around here. FIOS is about the same (and I think they're 1080P but not positive). I remember testing and comcast 1080i was coming through at 4-5mbit/sec and FIOS was 15-20 depending on the channel. That was years ago, not sure if it has gotten better or worse.....

Even retentions couldn't figure it out. The streaming box was a scam, it was free until you signed up for the streaming service then it magically became a TV box for $10 per month. The rate card listed 2 options, with and without "flex upgrade to X1", so I said don't upgrade the box, don't want X1 upgrade. They were like it happens automatically, you have to. Nothing actually changed, it didn't become a cable box, you still had to launch the streaming app, everything looked identical, but the $10 fee started as soon as you signed up. Was told by numerous people @ CC you had to have the box and it had to be a TV box, and the no box price was "for reference" or some crap. Finally got to one lady at one of the high up cust care teams that was like, no, you just need the box to sign up, then just ship it back free. I confirmed that once signed up you can change your package, cancel, etc all online. She's using the app on fire stick now, returned the box and the fee went away.

They've started charging for the Peacock Premium which used to be included free with internet, so I won't be surprised if that box becomes $5 or $10 per month even if you don't use it for TV.

Funniest part was if you ordered the streaming no-box service via phone or internet, it added on the broadcast TV fee. But if you order via the streaming box it is a slightly different name and "includes" the fee, and is $3 cheaper for exact same channels (so about $28 cheaper total). Their whole system is set up to just confuse you intentionally. Their reps can't even figure it out. A couple I talked to were like - damn, I'm going to change to that, I have the same channels now but I'm paying $25 per month extra for the BTV fee.

Her internet is $30 per month for 200Mbit and I think 100GB cap, and she qualifies for ACP $30 credit so it is free. $15 a month for cell phone. So have gotten her down to $67 all in for everything. Not a ton of channels but she only watches a few, and they're all in there. Of course, their streaming service counts towards your cap, which makes no sense, it never leaves their network, but she's well under 100GB, not worried.

The satisfaction of beating them at their own game made it worth the hours of frustration :) And after posting all the info in their reddit forum a bunch of people there switched over and did the box return too. F comcast.

Here comes 28AWG.o_O

Here comes 28AWG.o_O
And you get into stranded metal vs a core and performance drops off due to signal leakage. It's to just make it easier to hide the cable to make things look pretty.

Here comes 28AWG.o_O

You think that's bad, a lot of the flat and thin ones are 32. And there is no way they're maintaining the proper twisting and separation, shielding, etc.