What's new

Cat6 FTP to Standard Wall Jack

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

samb

Regular Contributor
Hello,

Do you think I will see performance issues if I take my Cat6 FTP cabling and lunch it to standard wall jacks (rather than shielded wall jacks?)

Thanks
Sam

My crystal ball says 'yes'. :)

Eventually.

By FTP you mean STP, right? (as in shielded twisted pair)

Also, yes, possibly/probably. Not properly terminating the shield is going to make the shield operate as a big inducer as currents pass down the wires.

A short length probably isn't going to do a thing. A long length might introduce too much noise in to the signal for it to hit gigabit speeds.

Its why I NEVER use STP. I've never had a reason to need it and if not installed properly is can cause problems that UTP never would.

Hello,

Do you think I will see performance issues if I take my Cat6 FTP cabling and lunch it to standard wall jacks (rather than shielded wall jacks?)

Thanks
Sam

You can do it . . . as long as you use some other method to ground one end (AND ONLY ONE END) of the shield in the cable.

Yeah, make sure you don't ground both ends, or else you can get a ground loop depending on the location of the final grounding locations.

Hence why I don't mess with STP since I have no reason to ever need it. Just too many ways it can be messed up.