What's new

CFE bootloader update

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Chief did you run the newest version of the script during your last attempt?
No, I've hex-patched current cfe and it is already new 1.0.1.3 (updated about a week ago).

If you change the MACs in the CFE, you will probably need to also wipe out your settings using the WPS button, otherwise the CFE will never write the new MACs to nvram.

If you change the MACs in the CFE, you will probably need to also wipe out your settings using the WPS button, otherwise the CFE will never write the new MACs to nvram.
Ain't 'nvram set / nvram commit' after cfe update is enough?

Ain't 'nvram set / nvram commit' after cfe update is enough?

It should, assuming you change all the relevant nvram vars. There are a lot of entries that will also cover all the Guest networks. I have like a dozen different MACs in my router's nvram.

The Chief....

Sure would like to know the steps you took.

Where did you find the updated cfe bin on the router, how did you copy it to wherever you edited it, how move it back, etc.

23u8y14.jpg
[/IMG]

As far as I've tested, only Shibby's firmware is able to read the hex modded cfe's...I'm using version 104 AIO...

Stock, DDWRT and Merlin's have the identical mac issue...

After updating the modded cfe to 1.0.13, install Shibby's and erase NVRAM...

If you restore a saved config file, it'll revert back to the same mac issue...

Conversation to long to start quoting a bunch of posts..

So.. you guys are saying that if you change pci/1/1's mac address in the cfe it does not change the reported mac in the gui (except for tomato).. even after you reset the router to defaults?

Correct .....

Shibby's FW see the Real MAC's Defined on CFE.
All other FW i've tested has the same MAC problem.

PS. I didn't test the DD-WRT yet.

Last edited:
barry...

I haven't figured out how to change the MAC's listed in the CFE so I can't tell.

I've only changed them in the GUI for the firmware.

I see lot of talks about MAC addresses displayed on the webui. You guys should really do traffic sniffing using a tool like Wireshark to see what actual MAC addresses are used by your traffic. What gets displayed on a webui could be wrong. What matters is what gets used in your packets.

Would like to try my hex editor.

Trying to find out exactly where the cfe file lives in the router, what folks are using to move it back and forth successfully.

However in your example you have the LAN and the 2.4ghz MAC's the same.

"What gets displayed on a webui could be wrong."

I've brought that up. If so then something in the firmware, not the cfe, needs to be addressed.

However it does appear the CFE does set the MAC's to the same address for the LAN and the 2.4ghz channel.

I see lot of talks about MAC addresses displayed on the webui. You guys should really do traffic sniffing using a tool like Wireshark to see what actual MAC addresses are used by your traffic. What gets displayed on a webui could be wrong. What matters is what gets used in your packets.

Yes Merlin...after disabling all adapters except the 2.4Ghz, Wireshark still shows data moving from xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:B0 only...and the webgui shows the 2.4Ghz as xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:B3 :eek: :)

Last edited:
Yes Merlin...after disabling all adapters except the 2.4Ghz, Wireshark still shows data moving from xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:B0 only...and the webgui shows the 2.4Ghz as xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:B3 :eek: :)

Hm. Could be the bridge's MAC that gets used when transferring data over the LAN. Unfortunately I'm no expert on bridges, so I don't know for sure.

Ok now I'm officially begging.

Would some one please list the steps to move the cfe from the router to my desktop and then how to put it back in the proper directory?

Do I need to be running Merlin's to do so?

Ok now I'm officially begging.

Would some one please list the steps to move the cfe from the router to my desktop and then how to put it back in the proper directory?

Do I need to be running Merlin's to do so?

I used winscp, can't remember for sure which folder it's in, and I don't remember the command. It's listed some where in this thread.
I was running Merlin or official asus fw. Can't remember. Doesn't matter which.
Might have been on the dd-wrt forum, in the rt-n66u cfe thread.
Barryware helped me by suggesting winscp.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!