What's new

CGNAT (Starlink service) and using Remote.it

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

swanie

New Around Here
It looks like Starlink is using CGNAT behind the curtains, so I'm not able to get remote access via open vpn like I did when I was with a wireline provider. I was looking at how to get around the CGNAT issue and came across REMOTE.IT, a service that will work around the CGNAT issue, and it's free for a handful of connections. It runs in Linux - so it begs the question - has anyone tried to get ASUS merlin to use remote access with REMOTE.IT ?

Another option that I've read about is Zero Tier. It is supposed to be able to get through CGNAT as well, and it's free for home use.

It looks like Starlink is using CGNAT behind the curtains, so I'm not able to get remote access via open vpn like I did when I was with a wireline provider. I was looking at how to get around the CGNAT issue and came across REMOTE.IT, a service that will work around the CGNAT issue, and it's free for a handful of connections. It runs in Linux - so it begs the question - has anyone tried to get ASUS merlin to use remote access with REMOTE.IT ?

You have the option of using IPv6 if starlink supports it but that is a whole other can of worms. There are some VPN services out there (or so I've heard) that will let you initiate a connection to them and they just dynamically learn your IP, and it is hide NAT compatible, but usually those are more client based (app running on a PC). That is if you want a full on VPN. Remote.it is probably similar to teamviewer I'd assume, if so and you got it to run on the router (unlikely the router has the resources for it, but maybe) it would get you access to the router only probably. You could leave teamviewer running on some machine that is always on and use that as a "jump box" too.

If you want full on VPN functionality you probably need to see if you can get IPv6 working with Starlink or see if they will give you a real IPv4 for a monthly fee etc.

I'm boggled that StarLink ISN'T IPv6...seems like the perfect venue to me, but <shrug> if twitter is still IPv4 only, there's little chance of StarLink.

ZeroTier, CJDNS, yggdrasil, BATMAN and I'm sure all sorts of other protocols are built for/with/to be IPv6 ONLY... I know CJDNS is on the Entware packages list.
Maybe there are other StarLinkers out there who would be willing to try to build/use one of these meshes.