What's new

Change SD Card Mount options on RT-N66U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

gijor33

Occasional Visitor
Hi guys,

How can I change the mount options on the internal SD Card in my Asus RT-N66U?

When I type mount, I get the following output
Code:
admin@ASNet-WIFI:/# mount
rootfs on / type rootfs (rw)
/dev/root on / type squashfs (ro)
proc on /proc type proc (rw)
tmpfs on /tmp type tmpfs (rw)
devfs on /dev type tmpfs (rw,noatime)
sysfs on /sys type sysfs (rw)
devpts on /dev/pts type devpts (rw)
/dev/mtdblock4 on /jffs type jffs2 (rw,noatime)
usbfs on /proc/bus/usb type usbfs (rw)
[B]/dev/sda1 on /tmp/mnt/entware type ext2 (rw,nodev,noatime)[/B]

I want to change the line in bold to use
Code:
data=writeback,discard,rw,nodev,noatime

I have added an fstab file to /jffs/configs and made sure chmod was 755

As you can see it looks as though the system is reading my new fstab config file
Code:
admin@ASNet-WIFI:/# find -name fstab
./jffs/configs/fstab
./tmp/etc/fstab
admin@ASNet-WIFI:/# cat /jffs/configs/fstab 
/dev/sda1 /tmp/mnt/entware ext2 defaults,data=writeback,discard,rw,nodev,noatime 0 0
admin@ASNet-WIFI:/# cat /tmp/etc/fstab 
/dev/sda1 /tmp/mnt/entware ext2 defaults,data=writeback,discard,rw,nodev,noatime 0 0
admin@ASNet-WIFI:/#

But it just doesn't take that as shown in the mount command above

The other thing which I saw in another post while searching (no answer to it either) was that on boot up it detects an ext4 file system as shown in the system logs and I have no idea why because I used makefs.ext2
Code:
Oct 13 14:46:57 hotplug[345]: USB /dev/sda1(ext4) failed to mount at the first try!
Oct 13 14:46:57 hotplug[345]: USB ext4 fs at /dev/sda1 mounted on /tmp/mnt/entware

Any help would be appreciated. I'd like to make my SD Card as fast as possible with the writeback option and last as long as possible with the discard mount option.

Thanks
Andy

The other thing which I saw in another post while searching (no answer to it either) was that on boot up it detects an ext4 file system as shown in the system logs and I have no idea why because I used makefs.ext2
Code:
Oct 13 14:46:57 hotplug[345]: USB /dev/sda1(ext4) failed to mount at the first try!
Oct 13 14:46:57 hotplug[345]: USB ext4 fs at /dev/sda1 mounted on /tmp/mnt/entware

Any help would be appreciated. I'd like to make my SD Card as fast as possible with the writeback option and last as long as possible with the discard mount option.
Hi,

I saw that you formated your drive in ext4. This is not supported with your router!
To my knowledge only ext3 (or ext2) should used and it will then work without problems! ;)

With kind regards
Joe :cool:

Noob question is there an SD card inside our RT-N66U? And what is the flash memory size is it 32MB or 64MB?

Noob question is there an SD card inside our RT-N66U? And what is the flash memory size is it 32MB or 64MB?
Hi,

You can put an micro SD card into the router - there is an internal slot avaliable. Only the opening of the router case is a little bit tricky.

I run a 1 GB SD card in my main router.

With kind regards

Hi,

You can put an micro SD card into the router - there is an internal slot avaliable. Only the opening of the router case is a little bit tricky.

I run a 1 GB SD card in my main router.

With kind regards

Thank you. But can you explain what putting a 1 GB SD card in this router does? Also if you know does this router have 32 or 64 MB of flash RAM?

Hi,

I saw that you formated your drive in ext4. This is not supported with your router!
To my knowledge only ext3 (or ext2) should used and it will then work without problems! ;)

With kind regards

No that's not correct. I mentioned I used makefs.ext2 to format it. Mount command shows that it's type ext2 as well

Last edited:
Thank you. But can you explain what putting a 1 GB SD card in this router does? Also if you know does this router have 32 or 64 MB of flash RAM?

It just means you don't have to have an external USB memory stick hanging out the back. I have a 32gb in mine from my phone while I wait for the 16gb one I just ordered to arrive

The ext4 warning is just a cosmetical bug introduced when Asus added ext4 support for the RT-AC56U/AC68U. The router's filesystem detection code is a bit quirky it seems, however it won't prevent your disk from being properly mounted.

The ext4 warning is just a cosmetical bug introduced when Asus added ext4 support for the RT-AC56U/AC68U. The router's filesystem detection code is a bit quirky it seems, however it won't prevent your disk from being properly mounted.

Ah cool. Thanks for the confirmation. I thought that must have been it because it all mounts fine.

It just means you don't have to have an external USB memory stick hanging out the back. I have a 32gb in mine from my phone while I wait for the 16gb one I just ordered to arrive

Ok thank you. Makes no sense that Asus would put a SD card slot inside and that you have to take it apart to access it and void your warranty. I thought Asus was much smarter than that.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!