What's new

Changed ISP, now devices are disconnecting?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

fitnesspmm

Regular Contributor
Firmware Version:384.14_2
ASUS RT-AC5300

Hi,

I changed to a new ISP yesterday where I received a new modem to plug into my ASUS RT-AC5300 (cable from the router to ASUS Wan port, same as before). I was on ADSL (10Mbps) but now I'm on NBN (100Mbps). For the last year, I never had a problem with devices disconnecting. Everything has been trouble-free.

I've done 3 factory resets (initialise all settings...) but still, I have the same problem... any suggestions?

Last edited:
Are you importing a saved config file? Are you using the same SSID's?

What settings and features past defaults are you using?

Does the ISP supplied modem have WiFi? If so, it might be on the same channel as the Asus router causing interference. If you are not using the ISP router WiFi, turn it off or verify the channels are not interfering

Does the ISP supplied modem have WiFi? If so, it might be on the same channel as the Asus router causing interference. If you are not using the ISP router WiFi, turn it off or verify the channels are not interfering

There's no wifi on the modem from the ISP. Anything else? I find it disconnects half my devices after about 30-60 minutes.

It's mainly my security cameras disconnecting the most.

I wasn't doing anything on my computer at the time when running these tests below (no CPU usage).

Test 1:

I notice the live feed isn't smooth anymore, it lags a bit when I view it on my computer. It never did this before, it was always smooth.

I tried to move the new router 2 metres away to see if that helps.

*10 minutes later* all cameras have disconnected again and I can't get them to connect even if I reset my security camera power. It only connects if I restart the ASUS router.

Test 2:

It seems to be smooth at the start than it drops out after about 10-60 minutes.

Wifi Analyzer shows only 2 neighbours on 2.4Ghz on different channels. No one else on 5Ghz except me.

The 'Access Time' under 'View List' time resets every 2-30 minutes which shows it dropping out. After 10-60 minutes, I get no video feed anymore and the devices don't see to be coming up on the 'View List.' Before this new ISP, these cameras never dropped out once! :(

The only setting that is different on

Last edited:
What channels is everyone on?

Are the cameras on 2.4GHz or 5GHz bands? Are these on 'Auto' Control channels?

Do you have Smart Connect, Airtime Fairness or Universal Beamforming enabled?

Have you tried new (never before used) SSIDs? With 8 alphanumeric characters and no spaces, punctuation, special characters or smiley faces?

New password with 16 alphanumeric characters and the same restrictions as the SSIDs name above?

What channels is everyone on?

Neighbour 1 = 2
Neighbour 2= 4
Router = 6-8 (Auto)

Are the cameras on 2.4GHz or 5GHz bands? Are these on 'Auto' Control channels?

Cameras are 2.4Ghz while my phone is a Samsung Galaxy S8 where I'm having the problem on 5 & 2.4 for my phone. It drops out. Channels are on Auto.

Do you have Smart Connect, Airtime Fairness or Universal Beamforming enabled?

Smart Connect = Tri-Band Smart Connect
Airtime Fairness = Disabled
Universal Beamforming = Enable

Have you tried new (never before used) SSIDs? With 8 alphanumeric characters and no spaces, punctuation, special characters or smiley faces?

my password is 6 letters and 5 numbers

That makes sense. All the routers are all interfering with each other on the 2.4GHz band. :)

Put your router on Channel 11 for the least interference on the 2.4GHz band.

Put your router on a manual channel (try them all) instead of Auto.

Disable Smart Connect.

Disable Universal Beamforming on both bands.

So, how about that SSID? How long have you been using it now? Maybe time to retire it if the other suggestions above don't work for you. ;)

And channel width of 20MHz on 2.4Ghz band.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!