What's new

Changed to Infinty, now no internet

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

syx123

Occasional Visitor
Hi guys, hope you can help me.

I have a RT-AC68U, and have been connected to bt internet using adsl. I bought the 68u with an eye on getting BT Infinity when available. I had the broadband connected to a Draytek Vigor 120 modem, which then connected to my Asus. Once configured (thanks to the help from the guys on this forum), everthing worked fine.

Today i had Infinity installed. Removed Homehub5, and tried to fit Asus. First thing i noticed was an dsl connection - was expecting rg45 style.
Thought that it must still need the modem, so connected up using that, but will not connect to the internet, even when connecting using ppoe settings already installed.

Can anyone suggest where i am going wrong? Really dont want to use the HH5

Any help would be appreciated, but only have limited experience.

Thanks

Try turning everything off for at least 10 minutes to half an hour.

Then, turn on the modem, wait two or three minutes, turn on the router and see if you are connected.

On the WAN page, try changing the DHCP mode from Normal to Agressive or vice-versa, I find for example that Aggressive works well for my providers while Normal worked better for the previous provider I had for DSL. My new connection is an FTTN and Cable and aggressive works for those (normal causes errors that say "no ip provided")

Hope this helps.

Sorry but still no good. Can't see where i'm going wrong.
I have tried to load it as PPoE the same as before. Cleared nvram. Still cannot log on to internet.

Has anyone on this forum gone from standard bt internet to fttc infinity?

thanks

Firstly, if you've been supplied a HomeHub 5 by BT then you won't immediately be able to use the Asus. This is because the HomeHub 5 is a combined VDSL modem and router.

To use the Asus router you must go and buy a BT Openreach VDSL modem. There are two types; the Huawei HG612 or the ECI. Getting one from eBay is the easiest thing to do. It doesn't matter which type you get unless you particuarly want to match the modem type to the street cabinet type.

However, either modem will work no matter what the street cabinet type is.

Once you receive it, there's no configuration required. Simply plug the DSL connection from the modem into the RJ45 socket in the top of the master phone socket, and then a LAN cable from LAN1 into the WAN port on the Asus. Plug it in. Initially the power light will flash, followed by the DSL light. When both are constantly lit you know it's sucessfully connected and sync'd to the street cabinet. You can now configure the Asus.

To use BT Infinity, you need to set the WAN type to be PPPoE
The username must be:
bthomehub@btbroadband.com

The password can be anything you want, I just bt for the password use as the Asus doesn't allow the field to be left blank

If you reset the Asus to factory defaults and run through the initial connection wizard it auto detects the WAN connection is PPPoE and simply asks you to enter the ID and password.

Hope this helps.

Hi James
Thanks for the info. So is the Huawei HG612 different to the Draytek Vigor 120 modem i have already?

Absolutely 100% different. Your Draytek Vigor 120 is an ADSL modem, and what you need is the BT Openreach VDSL modem.

If you know where your street cabinet is located, it can help to match the modem to the equipment in the street cabinet.

Take a look at this website http://www.robertos.me.uk/html/street_cabinets_etc.html
If your street cabinet is a Huawei 128 or 288 then get the HG612 modem. If you have the ECI 128 cabinet (shown in black on the website, but will be green at your location), get the ECI modem.

I seem to think ours is blue! Will check on the way home tonight, although it does look like the shape of the Huawei cabinet. Does it say on it?

Appreciate the helpful info!

It definitely won't be blue, it will be green. It doesn't say on it. You can only tell by comparing to the pics I sent you a link to. A lot of them have large BT posters on them saying "Fibre Broadband is here"

See this link for an example: http://recombu.com/digital/news/bt-trial-gigabit-speeds-fttc-fibre-broadband-gfast_M11578.html

Don't get too hung up on the model of cabinet. I've found the ECI gives a better connection and speed, while the HG612 is good if you want to hack it and get detailed line stats.

Your right it is green! And they have just today slapped the sticker on it advertising Infinity!

Just got to wait for the new modem now :)

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!