What's new

Changing wireless MAC addresses on RT-AC3200

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Crazed

New Around Here
Hi everyone,

I know it's an odd scenario, but I have a good reason for wanting to change the MAC addresses for the three wireless interfaces on my new RT-AC3200 (eth1, eth2, eth3). At first I thought I could change it from the WDS menu, but those fields are read-only. So, I tried sshing in and altering the nvram:

Code:
nvram set 2:macaddr=XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX
nvram commit
reboot

I shouldn't need to change the nvram value for the hardware address, but even when I do that too (nvram set wl2_hwaddr=XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX), these changes are still lost on reboot and the MAC address goes back to the original address. It seems like whenever I bring the interface back up in the web GUI, the value is overwritten. Is there a startup script included in Merlin which is updating the nvram values by reading the MAC address from the adapter hardware on each startup?

I had the RT-AC3200 running Shibby's Tomato before and I was able to change the wlan addresses permanently from ssh, so there must be a way to do this in Merlin, right?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!