What's new

Choosing a good firewall/router

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

antisgamo

New Around Here
Hello everyone,
I'm building my new network at home like the schema here:

retetradate.jpg

All cabels are CAT6 and all switches are Gigabit.

I searched a good appliance with good throughput for my network, but I've seen that no one has a firewall throughput near the gigabit.

My doubt is that the router/firewall can slowdown the signal transmission.
I'll use lots of fullHD video and big dimensions file from NAS to desktop or AVR and Co.

I was looking something like the Zyxel USG50 / USG100, because I'll use also the VPN network to connect to/from other places and equipment.

Can someone help me making the good choice?

The budget is relatively high, about 300/400€ for router/firewall.

Thanks!

Zyxel is good.
I think the question is do you need VPN? If not, then a consumer rather than SOHO grade router will do.

Or you can choose a non-WiFi router and get better quality hardware/firmware, and rely on APs for WiFi.

I'll use VPN that's why I'm looking for the USG 50 or 100.
I don't need an all-in-one firewall with wireless, because I'm planning to buy the Zyxel NWA1121-NI as I posted in the other section.

My doubt is about the product. Is it good for that price, or may I have to consider other brands like watchguard, astaro, juniper, level one and so on?

I can pay some money as I wrote before, but I'd like to choose a good product, with performance and resistance.

The router firewall only needs to be fast enough to support your ISP bandwidth. LAN data does not flow through the firewall, only the switch, which will be wire-speed.

Ok, but this is true only if I connect everything to the switch.
If I'd like to make a LAN for PCs and a separated LAN for NASs then the throughput become important!

Does anyone know watchguard or above just to compare zyxel?

thanks!

You might want to consider using a layer3 switch to divide your PCs and NAS units using vlans so the switch can route the traffic inside and not load your router down.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!