What's new

Chromecast Devices Not Showing Up - RT-AC88U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

daddyg76266

Occasional Visitor
Hey all -

I've been using Merlin for quite sometime now and have just recently had issues where ALL of my chromecast type devices do not show up on any of my wireless devices (2 laptops both windows and multiple android phones)

I've currently got a Home, mini and 3 chromecast hooked up to my network and either 1) none of them show up on my wireless devices to cast to 2) some will show up 3) they'll all show up and then disappear.

Now, it appears that it's only affecting my wireless devices that try to cast. Everything that's hooked up via Ethernet can see and cast to any of them without an issue.

I've spent quite a bit of time looking at forums and posts to try and fix it myself but have had zero luck.

Can someone lend a hand?

Thank you.

Edit - I'm currently running the latest stable version of Merlin - 384.3

I haven't used my Chromecast in ages. But I ran into this problem a few years ago.

IIRC I think I'd just updated the router but. I just reset it back to factory and that solved the problem. But that was a 1st gen Chromecast.

New ones can get 5Ghz? Are they set up to that or 2.4 I'd just use 2.4 for them.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

All of my chromecasts devices are all connected via 2.4ghz. They can do both but I have them on the 2.4ghz side. I've even disabled the 5ghz in an attempt to solve the issues.

Same with all of the clients trying to cast.

All of my chromecasts devices are all connected via 2.4ghz. They can do both but I have them on the 2.4ghz side. I've even disabled the 5ghz in an attempt to solve the issues.

Same with all of the clients trying to cast.
Have you assigned them Static IP addresses? I had a few issues with my fire TVs that solved it. Especially if they where both on at the same time.

Have you rebooted the router. I find that can solve some issues. My NEST thermostat became unreachable all other devices where available/connected to the net. Rebooted the router and it connected straight away.

Have you rebooted the router. I find that can solve some issues. My NEST thermostat became unreachable all other devices where available/connected to the net. Rebooted the router and it connected straight away.

Yes. Multiple times and even as recent immediately prior to posting for help. :)

No. Let me try this.

All I can say is that my own Chromecast is working fine here with my RT-AC88U. I frequently cast web videos from Google Chrome.

Yes. I've hard reset them all. Chromecasts, my google home and my mini. They'll show up briefly then vanish.

Now, I can cast to them just fine from a wired device (my computers) but when I try to cast from my phone or another wireless device, it's hit and miss.

This is a screen shot from Chrome on my desktop.
upload_2018-3-6_14-57-38.png

Last edited:
Your wireless devices need to be on the same frequency as the Chromecasts etc.

If they are on 2.4 your other devices need to be on 2.4Ghz as well.

So if your floating between 2.4 and 5GHz or your SSIDs for the 2.4 and 5GHz are the same then your devices will connect to the strongest signal which is maybe why you are getting sporadic connection on your wireless devices.

All of devices are on the 2.4ghz side as well. I've even disabled the 5ghz on my router.
Had a quick look online. Looks like your not the only one with the problem.

I'm assuming you have the Google home app on your phone? And you set it them up that way?

Hard reset a Chromecast. And set it up on a hardwired device (Don't use a wireless device) and see if that solves the problem. It's been a couple of years since I used mine but I started using my pc to set it up as the home app (Chromecast app at the time) was shirt. And it looks like it still is.

Had a quick look online. Looks like your not the only one with the problem.

I'm assuming you have the Google home app on your phone? And you set it them up that way?

Hard reset a Chromecast. And set it up on a hardwired device (Don't use a wireless device) and see if that solves the problem. It's been a couple of years since I used mine but I started using my pc to set it up as the home app (Chromecast app at the time) was shirt. And it looks like it still is.

Thanks. I'll give this a try.

I am still on the stock AsusWRT and recently updated to the 384_20379 build which caused the same problem you have. That build seems to have added an "Airtime fairness" setting that affects devices like chromecast and printers. I turned it off on the stock firmware and everything came back. Is this implemented in Merlin somewhere? It was under Wireless - professional in AsusWRT. (from looking at the source, i believe it is in the same spot)

Attachments

• wirelessProfessional.PNG
    wirelessProfessional.PNG
    324.7 KB · Views: 1,553
Last edited:
I am still on the stock AsusWRT and recently updated to the 384_20379 build which caused the same problem you have. That build seems to have added an "Airtime fairness" setting that affects devices like chromecast and printers. I turned it off on the stock firmware and everything came back. Is this implemented in Merlin somewhere? It was under Wireless - professional in AsusWRT. (from looking at the source, i believe it is in the same spot)

Thanks. I'm still struggling to understand/find where the issue lies. I can cast every time from any wired device on my network every single time. Casting wirelessly, from any phone or my win 10 laptop is very hit/miss. Just now, all cast devices showed up on my win 10 laptop...i casted a single video. Tried it again from same device and then none of my cast devices showed up. None are showing up on my phone but all of them show up on my wired computer all the time.

I disabled the airtime fairness feature and I still have the same problem.

Hey folks - been away but wanted to provide an update.

I continue to have this issue where none of my chromecasts will show up to be cast too through wireless devices. Since my last post, I've been to two different homes with chromecasts and diffierent routers and have successfully used my cell phone to control/cast to them.

I cannot cast to my chromecasts from within my home network from any wireless device. I can see my chromecasts from wired devices still like my computer but when I select a device to cast too, it never connects the cast session.

This leads me back to that I think something is wrong either with my setup or there's something else within the firmware that's affecting me.

Can I get some assistance from the experts here? It's highly frustrating not to be able to cast to my devices.

Hi, I just bought Asus AC 86U router and I am having the same issue. I can see my chromecast devices from wired desktop but not from my mobile. I have also tried many things but they come and go. I hope that someone solved this issue

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!