What's new

Cisco 891FW

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

fistv

Just got it, first shock, no 8 inch external antennas, antennas are internal, we'll have to see how that works out considering the case is metal, no rack mount for this one I'm thinking. Looks like native PoE ports, no add on internal daughter card but 4 of the 8 ports are labeled PoE ports on the back. The 891W I'm used to was EoS. Guess I'll take it home and configure it over the weekend and bring it back to work on monday to swap out that WRT54G.
1FE wan port, 1 ISDN port, 1GE WAN port8, 1SFE port8, Lan 8GE ports 4 of which are PoE plus a V92 and a Blue console port.
Just finished setting up an Aurender X100l on the network this is going on and the owner is plugged in with headphones though a dac at his desk transferring files so no disruptions are advised until that pile of CD's moves from right to left. Interesting box, transfers music CD's from an external drive automatically as soon as you put them in the drive and turns them to FLAC's. PIA that you need an Ipad to control it.

Note to anyone who orders one, Cisco does not install the PoE daughter card even when you buy the unit with it included. They also take 5 additional days to notify you it's on back order. It also does not have cisco express setup and you will need to do command line config. Once I get it all running I will put up boilerplate config that can be copy and pasted. Shelved till the PoE card gets here.

This thread seems a little out-of-the blue -- what are you aiming to do with the 891 (that perhaps the 54G couldn't...?) and how is it performing thus far? Seems like quite the "upgrade" for a little 'ol WRT54G. :)