What's new

How To Segment A Small LAN Using Tagged VLANs - Part 2

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

This is what I think you don't understand. The end devices need to be connected to a tagged port to be in that VLAN.

Well I don't plan to debate this any more. I'll just say this, if you connect and end device (normal computer, laptop, game console, etc) to a tagged port on a switch then it is not going to work (unless it happens to be in the default VLAN and the end device ignores the VLAN header and processes the packets as untagged).

Well I don't plan to debate this any more. I'll just say this, if you connect and end device (normal computer, laptop, game console, etc) to a tagged port on a switch then it is not going to work (unless it happens to be in the default VLAN and the end device ignores the VLAN header and processes the packets as untagged).

You need to read up on VLANs on how they work. To add a end device to VLAN2 you would plug in the computer or what ever device in a tagged access port defined in VLAN2. That is how it works. Of course I always assign a network IP address to every VLAN I define. I run every VLAN as a separate network.

This has worked for the 20 years I have been doing VLANs. My home runs this way right now. So saying it does not work is wrong.

Last edited:
You need to read up on VLANs on how they work. To add a end device to VLAN2 you would plug in the computer or what ever device in a tagged access port defined in VLAN2.
This has worked for the 20 years I have been doing VLANs. My home runs this way right now. So saying it does not work is wrong.

I did not plan to respond but to suggest I don't know what I'm talking about is offensive to me. I have been in networking for a little over 22 years. I am in charge of the network for a publicly traded biotech company. I also run VLANs at home both on physical switches and virtual (inside VMWare ESXI). I am not saying you don't know what your talking about, but possibly we are saying the same thing but have our terms mixed up. Cisco terminology does not help as they use terms other manufacturers don't always use. But none the less below you will see an except from Cisco documentation.
Cisco2.jpg

End user devices would be plugged into Access ports (that are untagged a seen above) that belong to a single VLAN. Then you would use a Trunk port tagged in one or more VLANs to send the data to a VLAN aware device like a router.

Now most consumer switches don't mention Access or Trunk ports. They simply have Tagged and Untagged. Anyway I think we are saying the same thing but getting terms crossed.

Last edited:
Ports are defined to VLANs other wise they are untagged ports which end up in the default VLAN. A trunk port is just a conduit to send multiple VLAN traffic on. Trunk ports pass untagged traffic on the default VLAN.

I don't know consumer switches as I worked on Cisco gear for 20 years. My home runs on a Cisco layer 3 switch with small layer 2 switches connected and three Cisco wireless access devices defined with multiple VLANs.

If you are talking untagged traffic then you are talking default VLAN traffic as there is no way to distinguish untagged traffic to a router nor to a trunk port since it is not tagged.

So saying it needs to run on untagged traffic is wrong unless you mean default traffic.

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!