What's new

CISCO/LINKSYS E4200 - Limiting bandwidth

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

pardysound

Occasional Visitor
Hi All,

I have the first world problem of having an awesome fiber ISP and my package allows me 250Mbps up and down. I can verify this speed to my modem by connecting directly to the modem and running a speedtest (speedtest.net) However as soon as I put the router in line the best I can get is 135Mbps.

So far in my trouble shooting I have:
-removed all other items on the network
-disabled the radio
-replaced the cable between modem and router
-reset the router to default settings

All with no change in performance. According to SMB's test of the router I should have 687Mbps WAN-LAN and 689Mbps LAN-WAN.. so buy the specs the hardware should be able to support 250Mbps no problem...

Hopefully someone can suggest what could be the cause... thanks for your time.

Hi All,

I have the first world problem of having an awesome fiber ISP and my package allows me 250Mbps up and down. I can verify this speed to my modem by connecting directly to the modem and running a speedtest (speedtest.net) However as soon as I put the router in line the best I can get is 135Mbps.

So far in my trouble shooting I have:
-removed all other items on the network
-disabled the radio
-replaced the cable between modem and router
-reset the router to default settings

All with no change in performance. According to SMB's test of the router I should have 687Mbps WAN-LAN and 689Mbps LAN-WAN.. so buy the specs the hardware should be able to support 250Mbps no problem...

Hopefully someone can suggest what could be the cause... thanks for your time.

The answer is still the same. It's because you have PPPoE and your router isn't capable of giving you those speeds with its current firmware.

To resolve the issue, you would need to ask linksys/Broadcom for a firmware update or buy a different router that can give you those PPPoE speeds if Linksys/Broadcom won't give you an updated firmware.

http://forums.smallnetbuilder.com/showthread.php?p=31663#post31663

http://forums.smallnetbuilder.com/showthread.php?p=31663#post31663

Ack!! Apologies I completely forgot I posted the same question here a few years ago.. My Bad. Its not been an issue until recently as I wasn't using the bandwidth. Anyway I've got a new router on the way and hopefully that solves the problem.. thanks again for your time.