What's new

Cisco RV-345P Dual WAN Gigabit PoE VPN Router Reviewed

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I appreciate the replies @coxhaus, and if it turns out to be operator error, I don't have any particular ego in it and would be happy to admit it. Before anything else, thank you for taking the time to respond and discuss, it's greatly appreciated.

The Cisco rep with whom I spoke freely admitted that the issues I was experiencing were related to bugs in the current firmware, and that I was far from the first person he'd worked with having difficulty. I will relate what happened to me in detail.

The first thing I did after connecting directly to the router is upgrade to the latest firmware from a file previously downloaded to my laptop. I do this to make sure I have the most up-to-date security fixes, but in this particular case it might not've been ideal.

The next several steps were very similar to yours. I connected initially via a DHCP-obtained address for simplicity, but knew I'd need to change it later. Went to LAN-VLAN1-Edit, and changed the IP address to what I'd wanted. You naturally lose your connection, so at this point I configured a static IP on the laptop in the new network. No connection. No matter how I tried to represent my laptop on the new network, it simply no longer connects. In order to be able to access the configuration again, I had to reboot the router (and lose my changes). After that, at the direction of the Cisco rep, I first setup remote management and saved the config (which doesn't break anything) and then connected through one of the WAN interfaces. Any change to the default VLAN1 renders it completely unusable.

Using the WAN port I was able to configure things and setup additional VLANs through which access on the LAN was possible. However, with the default VLAN unusable, I started running into other issues as well. It would be an easier situation if I had a layer 3 switch, but I do not. I've also had no luck getting VPN access working with the RV345, which I assume (but don't know for sure) has something to do with the default VLAN not working.

Basically, I'm at a skill level in networking where it's already challenging enough for me to get everything configured and working correctly. Having to fight the hardware itself on top of that makes it darn near impossible, and I don't have unlimited time to devote to trying. I figure that as a last resort, I'll try downgrading the firmware to see if that works better, although from what I read the earlier versions had their own problems.

I used the current latest version of firmware on the RV340 router which is 100118. I did not use a DHCP IP address. I hard coded the IP address both times. Yes you lose your connection when you change the network or IP on the router. IF you reboot the router it reverts back to the original settings because the change only changes ram what Cisco calls running. You have to log back on to the router with the new IP without rebooting the router so you can save it to flash so it will be stored. I think this is your problem. You need to assign a new IP network to your PC to match the new router network. Can you be more specific and give me the exact IPs and networks assigned to both the router and PC for each step. I think we can sort this out.

The level of Cisco on these small routers is not the best. It covers basic software and hardware. Much better than any of the other vendors. The other vendors have zero networking support if you call.

PS
I assume after the firmware upgrade you did a factory reset? It is always safest to do this.

Using running and flash is the Cisco way of their big pro routers. It is a little more challenging but it will save you if you make a bad change. You can reboot back to the original setting before the change.

Last edited:
Can you be more specific and give me the exact IPs and networks assigned to both the router and PC for each step. I think we can sort this out.

I'll go to PMs to give you the exact information (don't want my whole configuration out for the world to see), and can later post a summary here if we're successful. Thank you, sir.

I don't believe there is any black eye for Cisco, I'd say more likely operator error.

I would tend to agree - with Cisco gear (not ex-Linksys), one has to be very explicit when setting things up, otherwise things go into a very dark place... that is what I meant about the "Cisco Way" of doing things - nothing is implied, from routes to vlan's to addressing and access control.

Helps to write things down and draw things out on paper to get the mind right about what needs to be done..

Just wanted to drop a note thanking Coxhaus for the assistance. Had to do a couple of factory resets to clear out whatever was ailing the thing, then go through the trouble of reconfiguring it from scratch, but it appears to be functioning correctly now.

Next fun is trying to get the VPN functionality working, but that's a topic for another day.

I was reading the review again and realized the RV340, RV345 and RV345P GUI has completely been replaced with a much nicer newer GUI interface.

Indeed. As of 1.0.02.x it has, as have most of the RV series and latest WAP APs. Only the SG switches have the old GUI at this point, which I suspect will change for the SG250/350/550 series at some point in the near future.

The RV345P has 3 versions the RV340, RV345, and RV345P routers. The RV340 is the basic router. The RV345 is the basic router plus switch ports. And the RV345P is the basic router plus switch ports and POE+ power.

Can someone please tell me about the big-IP wan optimization module? I have knowledge about the wan module but I don't understand the difference between the big-IP wan optimization module vs the wan module.

I have deployed several of these routers over the years. Here is a tip to improve overall performance I hope others find helpful: Buy the RV340W... for its superior CPU, not necessarily for its wireless capabilities.

Although the RV340W costs a bit more, it utilizes a 33% more powerful CPU (dual-core 1.2 Ghz vs dual-core 900 Mhz) than the other three models.

90% of the time I end out disabling all of the router's Wifi capabilities. I instead deploy the RV340W along with a L2+/L3 switch (i.e. Netgear MS510TX(PP), GS728TX(P), etc) and some WAPs (i.e. Netgear WAC5xx/WAC7xx, etc). The other 10% of the time, the router itself provides enough Wifi coverage, capabilities, etc.

IMHO, the RV340W is a great SOHO router. It's VLAN-aware, feature rich, and easy to configure. The RV340W is the only small business router I deploy anymore.

I have deployed several of these routers over the years. Here is a tip to improve overall performance I hope others find helpful: Buy the RV340W... for its superior CPU, not necessarily for its wireless capabilities.

Although the RV340W costs a bit more, it utilizes a 33% more powerful CPU (dual-core 1.2 Ghz vs dual-core 900 Mhz) than the other three models.

90% of the time I end out disabling all of the router's Wifi capabilities. I instead deploy the RV340W along with a L2+/L3 switch (i.e. Netgear MS510TX(PP), GS728TX(P), etc) and some WAPs (i.e. Netgear WAC5xx/WAC7xx, etc). The other 10% of the time, the router itself provides enough Wifi coverage, capabilities, etc.

IMHO, the RV340W is a great SOHO router. It's VLAN-aware, feature rich, and easy to configure. The RV340W is the only small business router I deploy anymore.
That's an interesting find, and it's easy to overlook, thanks for pointing it out. The idea of having that many more cpu cycles is compelling.

However excluding the wireless part of the RV340W I don't see any difference in the throughput specs. All have the same spi firewall throughput, simultaneous IPSec connections, etc. Makes you wonder if the extra cpu power is there to drive the wireless features and if you turn off wireless does the extra cpu power show up somewhere else?

I do like the on-board 16 gigabit ports in the RV345. Eliminates the need for an additional 8 or 16 port box in a few cases where I've used these, all HO not SO.

Yea, it sounds good but I have not been able to find info on this. But I will keep in mind.

I have heard the RV340 will run out CPU on a gig connection using the extra firewall features in the RV340. I have not found anybody that can say the RV340W will handle what the RV340 router does not. I don't run the extra features and I don't have a gig internet. I would buy it if ATT would run fiber to my house.

Had been watching for an RV345 to go on sale and finally got one. I like the extra 12 onboard ports the 345 offers over the 340 models.

I'm wondering if anyone finds it useful to get an annual license?

For the record, because I know it's been asked in other articles on here, this is what the Cisco product page says about a license "Licensing - To operate the router no license is required. It will work with full performance and all VPN features are turned on." Reference for this.

A license gets you "add advanced security features... IPS, Antivirus, Web Security, App ID, and Client ID"

And, if you get a second license, a so called Cisco Umbrella license, you can "have the advantage of detailed security reporting for all hosts behind the router."

I'm asking about the first license - IPS, Antivirus, Web Security, App ID, and Client ID. A new router allows a 90 day evaluation/trial of these features, (note: trial does not include the Cisco Umbrella license). I turned this on and do not notice any slowdown in throughput.

Does anyone find the "IPS, Antivirus, Web Security, App ID, and Client ID" license useful for home office use? For a small office/commercial environment?

I'm assuming the Cisco Umbrella license is over the top for a home office or a small commercial office.

Last edited:
BTW, you should start another thread in the wired ROUTERS subforum or the Security subforum instead of here if you want more response.

if i remember correctly, most if not all of those services are cloud based, so what i saw was added latency and occasional slowdowns. i kept a license for a while, but stopped after a year or two.
1) are you running a server or computer that requires exposure to the internet ? if not, i have not seen any value while keeping my PCs fully patched, running local AV, Malware, firewall, and not clicking on links in email ;).
2) for a small commercial office, you may want to talk with someone local that works with the Cisco SMB devices for your particular needs, especially if you do not have time to dedicate to learning network security and keeping up with it. i didn't.

Had been watching for an RV345 to go on sale and finally got one. I like the extra 12 onboard ports the 345 offers over the 340 models.

I'm wondering if anyone finds it useful to get an annual license?

For the record, because I know it's been asked in other articles on here, this is what the Cisco product page says about a license "Licensing - To operate the router no license is required. It will work with full performance and all VPN features are turned on." Reference for this.

A license gets you "add advanced security features... IPS, Antivirus, Web Security, App ID, and Client ID"

And, if you get a second license, a so called Cisco Umbrella license, you can "have the advantage of detailed security reporting for all hosts behind the router."

I'm asking about the first license - IPS, Antivirus, Web Security, App ID, and Client ID. A new router allows a 90 day evaluation/trial of these features, (note: trial does not include the Cisco Umbrella license). I turned this on and do not notice any slowdown in throughput.

Does anyone find the "IPS, Antivirus, Web Security, App ID, and Client ID" license useful for home office use? For a small office/commercial environment?

I'm assuming the Cisco Umbrella license is over the top for a home office or a small commercial office.

The Umbrella license looks interesting. I use QUAD9 which probably is not as good but it's free. The problem with the Antivirus license is most of the bad traffic has gone encrypted and no small device is going to be powerful enough to decrypt traffic at gig speeds. So, I think you are wasting your money. I think you are better off running a UTM device behind the Cisco router if you want advanced security features.

All of these features and configurations are way above any consumer gear. And Cisco's VPN software is way better than what you will find out there.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!